Electric Fly Hunter
  • Apr 16, 2018
    San Clemente
    Name
    Dylan
    Boat
    none
    Hey BD,

Had another epic trip aboard Fin Fetish so I'm chiming in with another report! We fished this last Saturday and Sunday 6/12-6/13 on a reverse 1.5 day trip, departed Saturday morning at 10AM. I'd been seriously looking forward to this trip as I knew we'd likely have a great shot at the big yellows.

We had an open-party group of six anglers. Before making the venture to the outer islands we knocked out limits of quality rockfish at a local spot. We fished deep, about 500-ft. Showing up in the late morning hours, it was biting wide open on great sized local RF. We caught pretty much straight reds, boscos and chilis. All the fish were from steamer size 1-2lbers with some nice 3-4lb reds mixed in. Even the chilis were big.
    rsz_gopr0307.jpg

Jim Worden with a couple steamer 2-lb reds. double dropper loop, strip squid.

We shot out to our gamefish destination at the outer islands. Wind was 10-15kts and it wasn't flat clam on the way out. We all bullshitted, I ate a huge burrito and then tried going down below to the v-berth to catch a nap. Broke out into a sweat and looked like I was going to keel over and die until I went and released some chum off the back of the boat. Instantly felt better. First time sea sickness experience! Worth the sacrifice..

In the afternoon we re-rigged 6 rods to a single long dropper loop. Capt. Brian Norris metered around the squid bed area looking for the best place to set up. Once satisfied, he set the pick and one by one we let down the dropper loop rigs with fresh dead squid. It wasn't long before the first rod went off. David Muller of Tehachapi was coached by Norris and brought up his first ever yellowtail which was a beautiful model at over 30 lbs.
    rsz_gopr0323.jpg

David Muller with our first yellow of the trip
    rsz_gopr0324.jpg

Welcome aboard!

We continued fishing, replacing baits every once in a while. A huge bird school popped up a mile off our bow. HUGE. Thousand plus gulls and other birds. We wound up the lines and ran over, with myself and second captain Johhny Boater on the bow with surface irons ready. First cast, and to my surprise a big cuda follower. Boktor and I boat a few cuda and Norris announces there is good fish under the boat at 50ft. Some short bites by our dropper loop squid anglers in the stern. No love from the right kind so we moved back to our anchor position.

Reset anchor and stuff is looking fishy. It's late afternoon / early evening around 6pm now. We get bit again on a squid rod and boat another 35-lb jack. When this happens, I go and check out the fish finder. A medium size school swim through, ball of fish 15-20 feet up and down. It was enough to convince me to switch my surface iron out for a yoyo to get fruity off the bow while we soaked squid. Sure enough, shortly after re-rigging a spot of birds comes up off our bow. A smaller large spot of 100-200 gulls. Norris is up with me on the bow. I bomb one out below the birds, sink 3/4 of the way and wind the winder. BIT! and a real one at that. Tough fish on the 9-footer. As we got it to gaff, a 500-lb sea lion comes from below the boat and tries to steal him away. We weren't having that, or I got lucky anyway, and pulled the fish away and Norris stuck him. Sea Lion breaches out of the water right next to the boat and another passenger may or may not have got him in the face with a pea shooter. Big dog didn't even react but still good shit. See bite marks on tail.

rsz_gopr0341.jpg

35-lb yellowtail that ate a scrambled egg / green edge Salas 6x Jr

Another hour passes by on our soak, we have 3 fish in the bag. I continue working the yoyo jig on the bow. Would you believe it, another biter. Meanest fuckin yellow I've ever hooked. My jig stick has a Penn Fathom 25n star drag on it, so full of straight 40-lb mono it doesn't hold a ton of line. Mind you this was on a bomber cast, sunk pretty much all the way out. When this fish bit, I shit you not it dumped over 100 yds of 40-lb and it was getting close. I probably had well under 100yds of line left on the spool before turning the fish. Hairy. Eventually turn the fish, hand off to a passenger to let him take the fun 3/4 of the fight. He handled it well and gets it to the gaff even after the brute tangles every line on the boat. I still had to take a photo with the fish since it was my personal best ...

rsz_gopr0354.jpg

42-lb yellowtail that ate the 6x jr. Just under 4-ft long.

This fish bit around dusk and we were all getting hungry. Switched to dinner and chill mode before getting ready to make live squid. Cap put out the lights and we began building life. Mostly onesie twosie but after a few hours we made more than enough squid for the balance of our trip. This would help us capitalize even more the next day.

Sunday's fishing was even better. Set out all the rods a little before 5AM and it took less than a half hour to get our first rounds of bites. The fish were much meaner in the morning and our land ratio went down. Not all the photos are present but image double and triple hookups of YT all 30-40+ lbs. Among one of these double, angler Martin Kobold pulls a monster 44-lber.
    rsz_gopr0365.jpg

Second Captain Johhny Boktor shows off Kobold's slug yellow

Among one of the mornings double hookups on the squid, I slide the yoyo jig down. 'nother biter!! This excitement was short lived and a minute in I get busted off. Must have knicked the bottom or fouled the jig or whatever else ... it happens. We pick away through the morning and landed another 5 fish or so. Conditions change, and worsen, so we'd spend our midday lull looking for other stuff. Try some drifts for halibut in another zone but the conditions were even more off. After a couple hours farting around we head back to the yellowtail grounds for the afternoon tide shift before calling it.

Worthy decision because around 1pm we boated another 30-lb fish! It's getting close to buzzer beater hour but Norris wants us all to get multiple trophy yellows. The next fish to be hooked was a bruiser 40-lber that we got 6-inches from gaff. Head thrashing out of water, one final run and a fucking 800-lb sea lion grabs it under the boat. you lose some. We manage another 3 or so fish including my first squid fish, a solid model in the upper 20s. A nice 30-35lb BSB gets a healthy release.

rsz_gopr0385.jpg

End result: 6 anglers , 12 big yellows 28-44lbs plus limits of quality rockfish locally.

Fin Fetish provides once again!!! Already bugging Brian trying to plan another...

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Wow hell of a trip! I need to get on that boat sometime.

Reactions: Depresfish
    Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    Totally radical. Congrats on the bog boys abs girls. Yo yo drag rips are a special, special feeling. You can’t explain it and you have to experience it.
    Headed out this weekend and hope I bring home just one 20lb model, let’s alone a 30pus!
    Nice work.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Hey BD,

Had another epic trip aboard Fin Fetish so I'm chiming in with another report! We fished this last Saturday and Sunday 6/12-6/13 on a reverse 1.5 day trip, departed Saturday morning at 10AM. I'd been seriously looking forward to this trip as I knew we'd likely have a great shot at the big yellows.

We had an open-party group of six anglers. Before making the venture to the outer islands we knocked out limits of quality rockfish at a local spot. We fished deep, about 500-ft. Showing up in the late morning hours, it was biting wide open on great sized local RF. We caught pretty much straight reds, boscos and chilis. All the fish were from steamer size 1-2lbers with some nice 3-4lb reds mixed in. Even the chilis were big.
    View attachment 1290455

Jim Worden with a couple steamer 2-lb reds. double dropper loop, strip squid.

We shot out to our gamefish destination at the outer islands. Wind was 10-15kts and it wasn't flat clam on the way out. We all bullshitted, I ate a huge burrito and then tried going down below to the v-berth to catch a nap. Broke out into a sweat and looked like I was going to keel over and die until I went and released some chum off the back of the boat. Instantly felt better. First time sea sickness experience! Worth the sacrifice..

In the afternoon we re-rigged 6 rods to a single long dropper loop. Capt. Brian Norris metered around the squid bed area looking for the best place to set up. Once satisfied, he set the pick and one by one we let down the dropper loop rigs with fresh dead squid. It wasn't long before the first rod went off. David Muller of Tehachapi was coached by Norris and brought up his first ever yellowtail which was a beautiful model at over 30 lbs.
    View attachment 1290457
    David Muller with our first yellow of the tripView attachment 1290458
    Welcome aboard!

We continued fishing, replacing baits every once in a while. A huge bird school popped up a mile off our bow. HUGE. Thousand plus gulls and other birds. We wound up the lines and ran over, with myself and second captain Johhny Boater on the bow with surface irons ready. First cast, and to my surprise a big cuda follower. Boktor and I boat a few cuda and Norris announces there is good fish under the boat at 50ft. Some short bites by our dropper loop squid anglers in the stern. No love from the right kind so we moved back to our anchor position.

Reset anchor and stuff is looking fishy. It's late afternoon / early evening around 6pm now. We get bit again on a squid rod and boat another 35-lb jack. When this happens, I go and check out the fish finder. A medium size school swim through, ball of fish 15-20 feet up and down. It was enough to convince me to switch my surface iron out for a yoyo to get fruity off the bow while we soaked squid. Sure enough, shortly after re-rigging a spot of birds comes up off our bow. A smaller large spot of 100-200 gulls. Norris is up with me on the bow. I bomb one out below the birds, sink 3/4 of the way and wind the winder. BIT! and a real one at that. Tough fish on the 9-footer. As we got it to gaff, a 500-lb sea lion comes from below the boat and tries to steal him away. We weren't having that, or I got lucky anyway, and pulled the fish away and Norris stuck him. Sea Lion breaches out of the water right next to the boat and another passenger may or may not have got him in the face with a pea shooter. Big dog didn't even react but still good shit. See bite marks on tail.

View attachment 1290459
    35-lb yellowtail that ate a scrambled egg / green edge Salas 6x Jr

Another hour passes by on our soak, we have 3 fish in the bag. I continue working the yoyo jig on the bow. Would you believe it, another biter. Meanest fuckin yellow I've ever hooked. My jig stick has a Penn Fathom 25n star drag on it, so full of straight 40-lb mono it doesn't hold a ton of line. Mind you this was on a bomber cast, sunk pretty much all the way out. When this fish bit, I shit you not it dumped over 100 yds of 40-lb and it was getting close. I probably had well under 100yds of line left on the spool before turning the fish. Hairy. Eventually turn the fish, hand off to a passenger to let him take the fun 3/4 of the fight. He handled it well and gets it to the gaff even after the brute tangles every line on the boat. I still had to take a photo with the fish since it was my personal best ...

View attachment 1290460
    42-lb yellowtail that ate the 6x jr. Just under 4-ft long.

This fish bit around dusk and we were all getting hungry. Switched to dinner and chill mode before getting ready to make live squid. Cap put out the lights and we began building life. Mostly onesie twosie but after a few hours we made more than enough squid for the balance of our trip. This would help us capitalize even more the next day.

Sunday's fishing was even better. Set out all the rods a little before 5AM and it took less than a half hour to get our first rounds of bites. The fish were much meaner in the morning and our land ratio went down. Not all the photos are present but image double and triple hookups of YT all 30-40+ lbs. Among one of these double, angler Martin Kobold pulls a monster 44-lber.
    View attachment 1290461
    Second Captain Johhny Boktor shows off Kobold's slug yellow

Among one of the mornings double hookups on the squid, I slide the yoyo jig down. 'nother biter!! This excitement was short lived and a minute in I get busted off. Must have knicked the bottom or fouled the jig or whatever else ... it happens. We pick away through the morning and landed another 5 fish or so. Conditions change, and worsen, so we'd spend our midday lull looking for other stuff. Try some drifts for halibut in another zone but the conditions were even more off. After a couple hours farting around we head back to the yellowtail grounds for the afternoon tide shift before calling it.

Worthy decision because around 1pm we boated another 30-lb fish! It's getting close to buzzer beater hour but Norris wants us all to get multiple trophy yellows. The next fish to be hooked was a bruiser 40-lber that we got 6-inches from gaff. Head thrashing out of water, one final run and a fucking 800-lb sea lion grabs it under the boat. you lose some. We manage another 3 or so fish including my first squid fish, a solid model in the upper 20s. A nice 30-35lb BSB gets a healthy release.

View attachment 1290462

End result: 6 anglers , 12 big yellows 28-44lbs plus limits of quality rockfish locally.

Fin Fetish provides once again!!! Already bugging Brian trying to plan another...
    Wow! Nice Mix! :appl:

Upvote 0