MONSTER BUTT

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by twolabz, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Biggest I've seen posted on here in a while... very cool story. I knew there were large halibut in A13!

Catchn Ry and TwoTapPat like this.
  2. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    Honestly, there were no doubts that there are "MONSTER BUTTS" in most marine areas. Also cities. LOL

Chasin' Tail likes this.
  3. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    World Cat 266SF
    I've often wondered what I would do if ever in the situation of pulling a 250lb fish over board...or taking a picture or two and sending it back to make more 250lb fish.

Maybe I will get lucky enough to be put in that situation one day.

And I don't say that in judgement of the guy at all. I know what I would want to do...but don't know if I could watch something like that swim away

4. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    That is a several lifetimes fish. I think slot limits are a good idea on long lived fish but would have a tough time letting it go unless I knew the long liners were doing the same and it helped produce a longer fishing season. It would especially be tough letting a inside strait fish go since they can be tough to come by. There was just an article published that found larger females had exponentially higher egg production than their smaller counterparts.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180510150058.htm

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    As hard as it may seem the right thing to do is let those big ones go. They are what produce 95% of the halibut we do enjoy. They also are not good eating in comparison to there smaller counterparts. There is a reason Canada has size categories and ling cod have minimum and maximum sizes. Bottom dwellers tend to have big woman .... just saying

6. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I was leery of clicking to open the post.

That said, if my family and I had already caught a 40, 60, and 75-lb halibut this season, I'd have let this big mama go make more babies... I think.

7. ClintFinger

ClintFinger Newbie

Name:
    Clint Finger
    Boat:
    26 Duckworth Offshore
    I'm not sure what I would do if I brought in a fish like that but I commend the guy for making sure the meat was processed correctly rather than putting it at risk trying to get an official weigh-in.

8. Barracuda1

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Easy to judge. When it's not you. I definitely would of kept that trophy. The next one? Maybe not..

9. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Name:
    fishbadger
    Boat:
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Wow what a fish.

This is wunna them paradoxes. . .if I'd have kept it I'd regret it forever taking such a unicorn out of the population. . .but if I'd have released it alongside the boat, I'd have regretted it forever, having fished my whole life hoping for such an opportunity. That said, I'll probably never have the chance, so it's irrelevant. I'm happy for him. The fish of a thousand lifetimes if you're a Puget pounder. He's obviously got his system dialed in.

fb

10. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    It’s this mentality that has gotten us here with so many species.... steelhead are a prime example. With the photos of today and a few measurements you get your replica and she keeps spawning. I’ve released some trophy fish that I’ll never forget and when I look at the pictures on the wall I’m always most thankful they went to keep that gene pool going. It’s certainly not against the rules but I will say I’ve also killed, at an early age some very large ling cod. One of them is(was) on the wall at big salmon in Neah and I still regret it although I wasn’t educated enough to understand what I was doing nor was it illegal. Just my opinion.

11. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    The biggest salmon I ever caught was under the Narrows Bridge. Never took her out of the water. Snapped a few pictures and tipped the net over. She had an adipose fin the size of a catcher's mitt. Away she swam to the nets across the Nisqually.

I know what I will do if I catch a big halibut like that on Thursday!

12. Pau Hana

Pau Hana Fish murderer

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Pau Hana
    Tom Hellinger (the guy that caught this fish) is my son's father in law, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Loves to fish- glad to see he made such a memory!

Guess we'll be headed to his house for a BBQ soon :finger::finger::finger:

Barracuda1 and Titan like this.
  13. Barracuda1

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Yea! Cause I'm out in the straights catching giant halibut on the regular right? There are tons of reasons why the fishery is in the state it is. The sport fisherman is not the problem here Jason. I'm so glad you get that warm fuzzy feeling looking at those photos of fish you released for the tribes gill nets. The fact is there is no slot. This guy got lucky and landed a fish of a lifetime and someone has to judge him for it. NOT just my opinion

14. Woodhunter

Woodhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Big John
    Boat:
    Classic MAKO 22
    An article in today's Port Angeles newspaper says it was caught in Area 6.

Would I keep the big one? Gotta catch one first!!!

But, unless I was fishing a derby, maybe not. My opinion subject to change at the time I see one this big beside the boat, but at my luck it will never happen to me. I would be happy with a 40 pounder.

I have nothing against the guy for keeping his catch of a lifetime.

Go to this link and see a video of some B.C. guys releasing a nice one over their slot limit. On a mooching rod! Ugh! Treble hooks. Guy is lucky he was not hooked.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...ht-on-rapala-xrap-magnum-in-port-hardy.70594/

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  15. fishing fanatic

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Fred, ignorance is bliss. Never said sport fishers were/are the problem but joining the problem is all you’re saying here! To say that I’m releasing fish to the natives nets is really probable in a lot of cases so does that mean I should bonk it on assumption? Cause at that point I am part of them. And Fred, don’t get personal behind your keyboard. We can all have different opinions but leave it at that!

16. Titan

Titan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kamen
    Boat:
    Dinghy
    This is Bloody Decks, just a reminder. Carry on.

17. Nookie Hooker

Nookie Hooker Aquatic Slayer

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Capt. Red
    Perhaps there is an educated, not biased, Marine Biologist on here who can confirm or refute something I heard up in AK:

Supposedly, the REALLY big female halibut ( 180#s +) actually produce poor quality eggs ( no really good way to anology this- think woman past prime breeding age, for lack of better example). Weaker eggs=more birth defects and health issues for offspring. Removing these huge females reduces competition for food and prime ambush sites, leading to more and healthier halibut stocks.

Anybody know anyone who can cite real scientific research either way?

Nook

18. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    I headed out alone into the West entrance on Thursday with a bait the size of a loaf of Italian bread. First bite happened around 0600 but didn't stick. At exactly 1000 hrs, the clicker on my Avet HX started purring like a cougar spying on a pair of mountain bikers. I push the drag forward and ease the big circle hook into my fish and think about this thread and that question was in my head.... gaff or harpoon? Harpoon, I hope.

I bring the fish to the surface and see it isn't the fish that is going to make anyone angry at me. I pull the gaff into the side of its face and heave it over the rail and slide it into the cooler where a bed of ice has been waiting for it to take rest upon, thank it for coming to me, the heavens above for delivering it, cut its gills and close the box. 30 pounds, 4 ounces. Nice fish and I am genuinely grateful for it.

Hopefully, there is another day of fishing for me this year. I still have bait.

"All halibut are equal, but some halibut are more equal than others."

Barracuda1, FishPimpII and Team Sency like this.
  19. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Never heard this. We had healthier fish stocks when we had bigger fish around(prior to commercial fishing). Read the link.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180510150058.htm

Here is a short blurb from the article(by the way the females mentioned below are fish):

But a new report in Science by a Smithsonian biologist and colleagues shows that plus-sized females invest disproportionately more in the number of eggs and the size of individual eggs.

20. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Thanks for posting that link Stephan, pretty much sums up what I learned years ago from a guy named Halibut Steve that used to frequent the Salty Dog part of I-fish. He was a retired marine biologist that worked for the IPHC if my memory is correct. He pretty much has forgotten more about halibut than most of us will ever know.

As far as what the person was told about big female halibut laying poor quality eggs, it sounds like a commercial guy trying to come up with a good reason to retain more big ones as they are more profitable and result in shorter fishing trips if they are catching nothing other than big fish. Commercial fishing hates slot limits for big fish.

WD.