Monster Arapaima from Pirarucu on the Fly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fly Fishing' started by fishordie, Oct 18, 2018.

1. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Good afternoon all,

I returned from an amazing trip to Pirarucu in the Amazon a few days ago.. Another Epic Fly fishing trip with Untamed Angling and arranged by The Fly Shop. I cannot say enough great things about both of these operations as the days I experienced were undoubtedly record setting for the quantity of fish landed, size of the fish and the amount of action on most every session. Our Guides, Guilherme, Rodrigo and our Native Guide Jonny (Sp?) were off the hook great.. We were limited by agreement, i believe with the government or with the reserve, to fishing 4 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon yet, somehow, it was perfect... Even though we got rained out the 3rd afternoon. Pirarucu is an incredible wildlife sanctuary in the Amazon Basin... Though we cannot fish at or near this Eco Lodge the surroundings are something right out of Jurassic Park.. Big fish rising 24/7, Arrowana and other tropical fish abound as if the lodge were in a giant aquarium.. The Black Caiman are everywhere, including right next to the lodge, in the waterways and all along the shores (Thousands of them) making for being in the water an always interesting experience... Being aware of one's surroundings.... Well, lets just say we are not in Kansas anymore Toto...

As far as gear goes, big streamers, Rio Intermediate Jungle and Outbound short clear tip lines, Sage X 10 Wt rods for the Arapaima (Amazing performers) and of Course those amazing Nautilus NVG reels all of which performed flawlessly with zero failures even though my drags were tight... very tight...I know a 10 wt sounds light for the application but they were perfect... for great conditions weather and water levels we experienced. 6 Wt or 7 wt Sage X for Arrowana with Rio floating lines and I was set.. If the water levels were higher, I would have needed to go to a full sink line which would have required possibly using 11 or 12 wts.. Which I brought but did not use. Add in a bunch of amazing custom Flys from Eric Blackshear of Ventura California (Errock_22 on this site), Hernan Tula from Argentina and Guilherme (one of the amazing guides at Pirarucu) and life was good. As a note Eric is a relatively newcomer to the world of Fly Tying but his Flies accounted for a huge number of fish hooked and landed including that big monster... Great job Eric..The fish and I both appreciated the untold number of hours that went into producing these master piece articulated flies in a large Dorado Pattern.. Then Again, Eric's fly I call "Cousin It" did some really major damage and hooked me up to that Hog of an Arapaima..

I fished Solo on the first 2 days.. On days 3 and 4 I fished with Ben who runs The Fly Fishing Show located around the United States.. Our first 4 hour morning session alone accounted for around 15 beautiful Arapaima with 4 or so double hooks up with all fish landed... Epic or What is the next level above epic?

I will give way from my normal long winded write ups and just put up the pictures.. Starting with the biggest first... Yes, a true river monster which yielded a Holy Shidddd....T moment. I still cannot believe the size and power of this particular fish...Too many fish to put up all the pics but I will try and put up a bunch.... fullsizeoutput_f1e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_e81.jpeg fullsizeoutput_f34.jpeg nor did I take pictures of every fish... What a problem to have... LOL

Have a great season.

Jamie fullsizeoutput_ee3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_eff.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ed7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_e68.jpeg fullsizeoutput_df0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_eb5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_eb2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_e69.jpeg fullsizeoutput_f19.jpeg fullsizeoutput_eed.jpeg fullsizeoutput_eee.jpeg fullsizeoutput_e5c.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    mudshark, Woodeneye, PE Pete and 8 others like this.
  2. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I don't get in the water where animals that size live. Looks like a great trip.

fishordie likes this.
  3. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    The funniest thing is the Natives and the other local folks think those of us who get in the water on purpose are totally Nuts also... LOL... There is always someone on lookout as those Caiman and other critters can get right up on you... However, this is the type of environment where I feel most at home and where I feel truly alive.. City life kills me slowly... LOL...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Davis
    Boat:
    Home built 18'
    Unbelievable !

fishordie likes this.
  5. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Wow, bucket lister right there. Best of reports....Jamie, nice show brother!! Congrats and Thanks for sharing! Yew!

and in true form, YOU KICKED SOME ASS.

fishordie likes this.
  6. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
    Wow! Just incredible Jamie! This is definitely going on my list of trips. So glad the flies worked out for you. Pretty fun not really knowing how or what I needed to tie for these monsters! Stoked for you!

For anyone interested, here are a few pics of the flies I tied for Jamie. All on Owner 8/0 Aki’s.

9999BEEB-E4DC-4579-ABBB-14F2F1A49F8C.jpeg 09AEAAC1-94AF-44B4-9FA2-9752C021D1BE.jpeg 62F30AAC-7B95-40F9-94D5-8C09E24479A8.jpeg 1CA262CB-B947-4E5F-9FF2-BCAC405E88F7.jpeg D48A66E6-9B64-4C4E-8B36-2A00A846A607.jpeg 929CA53E-8B44-495A-95E2-49FA9B415DD9.jpeg 6355B398-905E-401B-AFAA-A2DD787AF52D.jpeg

terryc. and fishordie like this.
  7. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Wow, sounds like an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful craftsmanship on the flies. Those are a work of art.

fishordie likes this.
  8. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Yup, Those are the flies... Awesome job Eric. The ones that got bit amazingly well are the top and bottom pics that Eric put up.. Thank you so much.

Jamie

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    errock_22 likes this.
  9. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Crap, I tried uploading a slo mo version of these huge fish jumping near the boat but the file is too big... Anyone know how to reduce the image size??

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  10. PE Pete

PE Pete Tight lines PE Pete

Name:
    Pe Pete
    Boat:
    Quickbite
    Epic mate. That first pic is a BIG model

fishordie likes this.
  11. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Thank You Pete,

Lots of Big fish but that one was beyond special..

Jamie