Mono vs Fluoro Equivalence for BFT chew leaders

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
Malibu X-Factor
I've read several threads discussing the use of heavy mono and fluorocarbon for chew leaders while using flat falls or sinker rigs for Bluefin. Are there any approximate apples to apples comparison for equivalent abrasion/chew resistance?

For example, "300# mono is about as good as _____# fluoro" in keeping a tuna from biting you off?

If fluoro is that much more resistant, there shouldn't be a need to go as heavy strength as mono, correct? For those fishing fluoro, how heavy are you going?

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Soon to be the great State of Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
I personally wouldn't consider mono for a bite leader.
FF fishing 130 to 200 Flouro and the Yo Zuri seems to have a harder surface.

Sinker rigs are different because you are presenting bait. 80 flouro in the gray, and perhaps 60# daytime, but you have a better chance of a corner hookset, whereas with the FF they inhale the whole thing.

Reactions: Omarkayak
Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    When rigging my jigs I considered buying flouro but hot damn it got expensive quick to rig up all my jigs. I stuck with heavy mono and as of yet none have failed (3 for 3). Re-rigging was necessary after each fish was landed though.

Reactions: dsl and Baitless

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Ruben
    Boat
    Malibu X-Factor
    When rigging my jigs I considered buying flouro but hot damn it got expensive quick to rig up all my jigs. I stuck with heavy mono and as of yet none have failed (3 for 3). Re-rigging was necessary after each fish was landed though.

Same thought consideration. The price of fluoro starts jumping up considerably the higher strength you go up. I have to infer there's no need to jump up to 300# pound flouro in the example I used.

Just trying to figure out what the (relatively) safe range of fluoro for up to 200# fish might be.

Upvote 0

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Ruben
    Boat
    Malibu X-Factor
    I personally wouldn't consider mono for a bite leader.
    FF fishing 130 to 200 Flouro and the Yo Zuri seems to have a harder surface.

Sinker rigs are different because you are presenting bait. 80 flouro in the gray, and perhaps 60# daytime, but you have a better chance of a corner hookset, whereas with the FF they inhale the whole thing.

Any rhyme or reason to when you personally move up and down from 130-200# flouro for your leaders?

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Any rhyme or reason to when you personally move up and down from 130-200# flouro for your leaders?
    Jig size
    If you are fishing a lighter jig, the heavier leader affects its flutter

W
    woodfish330
    Wise anglers have learned that this "result" can be used a certain times to an anglers advantage.... depending on conditions.....
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    At night I usually fish heavier leaders just because they're less visible at night and more protective anytime. If you like to re-rig, some jigs might be fished anytime, but lumo jigs are usually fished at night.

Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    For example, "300# mono is about as good as _____# fluoro" in keeping a tuna from biting you off?

If fluoro is that much more resistant, there shouldn't be a need to go as heavy strength as mono, correct? For those fishing fluoro, how heavy are you going?

My two cents, and is only an opinion, as I too have wondered about this...

For this situation, I think it's like many things in fishing, where the "best answer for the moment" is to go with what you are comfortable with, as a black and white or even a general guideline type answer is moot.

You'll have people claim one vs. the other based upon their own experiences/observations and defend the position based upon successes and failures. Many times, there are a lot of other variables that are overlooked, which would refute the conclusion, but no need to piss in someone's Cheerios.

Another way to approach this is objective measurements. This is "a way", but not always necessarily, the "right way". I feel it's situation specific, where sometimes it is, and sometimes it "could be". This approach has the advantages of controlling a specific set of variables to minimize variances resulting in repeatable and objective results. However, it fails to take into account variables that may factor in (ie: fish behavior, or other dependencies like a poor knot connection), which could lead to erroneous conclusions about the overall objective.

Perhaps that's why I've not seen too much information about the pros/cons of mono vs flouro as it pertains to abrasion resistance. The ones I've seen seem to suggest at some point, (ie: 200lb+ test ) you get to a point of diminishing returns and it doesn't matter. If that's the case, and it makes you sleep OK at night, then for sure, go with mono, as it is cheaper as mentioned by the skipper of the Searcher.

REF: S. Carson's Tackle Talk Live
    Forward to 1:03:20.

Finally, the comment from another user that uses mono and about re-rigging after each fish landed. I agree here, that I'd check out the line after each fish. But I wouldn't say if using flouro, you wouldn't have to re-rig after each fish or the frequency would be less because one is using flouro. This to me, suggests it doesn't really matter at some point of diminishing returns.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I've read several threads discussing the use of heavy mono and fluorocarbon for chew leaders while using flat falls or sinker rigs for Bluefin. Are there any approximate apples to apples comparison for equivalent abrasion/chew resistance?

I have successfully used 200lb mono which is inexpensive, and 130lb fluoro for 200lb BFT. I see them as equivalent.

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Ruben
    Boat
    Malibu X-Factor
    Jig size
    If you are fishing a lighter jig, the heavier leader affects its flutter

See that's another reason I was working through this thought process. Do I just buy a bulk spool of 200# fluoro/300# mono as a catchall and call it a day? Or should I buy a variety of ratings and work up and down the ladder based on conditions?

Jig size is one of those conditions, I guess.

Upvote 0

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Ruben
    Boat
    Malibu X-Factor

For this situation, I think it's like many things in fishing, where the "best answer for the moment" is to go with what you are comfortable with, as a black and white or even a general guideline type answer is moot.

You'll have people claim one vs. the other based upon their own experiences/observations and defend the position based upon successes and failures. Many times, there are a lot of other variables that are overlooked, which would refute the conclusion, but no need to piss in someone's Cheerios.

Another way to approach this is objective measurements. This is "a way", but not always necessarily, the "right way". I feel it's situation specific, where sometimes it is, and sometimes it "could be". This approach has the advantages of controlling a specific set of variables to minimize variances resulting in repeatable and objective results. However, it fails to take into account variables that may factor in (ie: fish behavior, or other dependencies like a poor knot connection), which could lead to erroneous conclusions about the overall objective.

Perhaps that's why I've not seen too much information about the pros/cons of mono vs flouro as it pertains to abrasion resistance. The ones I've seen seem to suggest at some point, (ie: 200lb+ test ) you get to a point of diminishing returns and it doesn't matter. If that's the case, and it makes you sleep OK at night, then for sure, go with mono, as it is cheaper as mentioned by the skipper of the Searcher.

Finally, the comment from another user that uses mono and about re-rigging after each fish landed. I agree here, that I'd check out the line after each fish. But I wouldn't say if using flouro, you wouldn't have to re-rig after each fish or the frequency would be less because one is using flouro. This to me, suggests it doesn't really matter at some point of diminishing returns.

Mainly I'm looking to at least be lobbed in the right direction, as anything above 50# leaders is new for me. A good foundation to at least start from. I don't want to be THAT guy on the boat, you know?

Thank you for the video, if the captain says 200-300# mono is good, who am I to disagree?

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead

Very well stated brother.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    "...lobbed in the right direction..."

Gotta say, I love that phrasing!

I'm still new to most things long range, or BF out of SD in the last few years (but I'd listen to IronMike's thoughts above...)

I'm budget conscious, the one LR trip I take annually pretty much taps me out financially. So things like the cost of a reel that can handle a cow tuna, or the one rod to pair it with, or the best bang for your buck... I pay attention to these things.

I landed my biggest fish ever last year, a 167 lb. bluefin - modest by many accounts - on a flat fall with a #200 fluoro leader. My fishing buddy had a cow-size fish in gaff range, it chewed through his #130 fluoro and...

My point being, if it's a matter or 30, 40 or $50, don't let that one most important component be the difference between bucket and budget...

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Mainly I'm looking to at least be lobbed in the right direction, as anything above 50# leaders is new for me. A good foundation to at least start from. I don't want to be THAT guy on the boat, you know?

Thank you for the video, if the captain says 200-300# mono is good, who am I to disagree?

If you are in SD, Rick Maxa recently said they make up and sell flouro bite leaders at Fisherman's Hardware because most guys don' want or need to drop a benji on a coil.

That might be your huckleberry.

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Ruben
    Boat
    Malibu X-Factor
    Several videos on youtube regarding this subject. Thought this one was interesting.

Interesting. I've been thinking about how one could conduct the most accurate test. Obviously sandpaper =/= teeth.

The thought's crossed my mind to save a jaw from the next catch and rake the teeth over taut mono/flouro and observe the results.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond

So here is my new take on chafe leaders. I'm rigging my big nitghtime jugs with 200lb nylon coated wire. Smaller diam than 200 or 300lb mono or fluoro. My smaller jigs im using 125 black wire. Very small diameter and since there's nothing on a tuna that's harder than wire, they can never chew thru.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Good info all the way around, wire, hmmmm...one would think if you were making a video, you would be able to correctly count the number of turns on the reel!

Upvote 0