aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I have been fishing Socal for about 20 years. I have always used Ande line for the most part. 20.30. and 40# test is the range of line most used.. in pink!

The offshore, big tuna, hollow core spectra, windon leader and crimps has changed a lot of things for me.

I like the Jinkai crimps. So I was trying to push 300# ande thru the 300# crimps and it would not fit. Then I was trying to make a 200# windon for my avet 50 and 200# ande would not fit the needle.

I compared the thickness of 200# ande mono to 200# jinkai leader and wow what a difference, the ande is really thick. Jinkai leader is really supple.

So I am up for suggestions for 100# and 200# mono. Actually I may divorce ande all together. I have been happy with 20-60# lines, but maybe technology has passed me by.

I'm looking for suggestions for a thinner, supple mono that will not brake the bank.

Thanks in advance

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
There is always a tradeoff with lines. Thicker lines have greater abrasion resistance than thinner lines typically. Thinner lines may cost more. If they all get bit it might not matter.

Reactions: wils and aguachico

soulwinner

jeremiah 9:23,24
Jun 16, 2014
sandiego,ca
Name
john
Boat
cobra
I dont use ande for the same reason, started using Izorline xxx for pretty much everything, I have used Jinkai leader material its affordable , soft line almost seems too soft if thats possible. I like their crimps too. I want to try soft steel sometime.

Reactions: aguachico

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
the softer feel lines are softer outside then inside....and many abrasion resistant lines are the other way around....picking handling and fishing a good bait is more important ...unlessypu are losing fish to line failure....or should I say angler error....which is more often the case...errors in toeing cinchind crimpingand drag setting are more common then actual line failure

ninj

ninj
Jan 18, 2006
San Diego
Name
John White
Boat
20' glasstron CC '77 sea fury
Remember, Jinkai is very thin and soft. Jinkai mono is all IGFA rated. I have a feeling their leader material breaks at rated # test. The Jinkai leader is also very soft and has relatively low abrasion resistance, we sell it at the shop because some people like it, we don’t rig with it.

When we rig rubber fliers at the shop we like 400# Ande or Momoi “hard” leader. If we run out of those and have to use Jinkai, we’ll switch to 500 or 600#.

If I was at the shop I could see the listed diameters, but I’m pretty sure most mono leader brands the listed breaking strength isn’t too close to the actual breaking strength.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Remember, Jinkai is very thin and soft. Jinkai mono is all IGFA rated. I have a feeling their leader material breaks at rated # test. The Jinkai leader is also very soft and has relatively low abrasion resistance, we sell it at the shop because some people like it, we don’t rig with it.

When we rig rubber fliers at the shop we like 400# Ande or Momoi “hard” leader. If we run out of those and have to use Jinkai, we’ll switch to 500 or 600#.

If I was at the shop I could see the listed diameters, but I’m pretty sure most mono leader brands the listed breaking strength isn’t too close to the actual breaking strength.

yup thats usually a minimum breaking strenght.....years ago ande had a rep,at least among my fishing friends,as being weak because it broke close to the stated line class...guess they went to far the other direction to lose that distinction

mogambosquid

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard

This.

On the LR boats Jinkai is known as Jing pow

All Momoi is good, the hard leader is the shit for rigging, it breaks their teeth.

Jinkai crimps are very good, use size G for 200# and F for 300#

Last edited:

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Thanks for all the info. I have tried to thread the 200# ande into 200# hollow without the needle, no success.

Ande 200# is about 1.67,mm
Jingkai leader about 1.45mm
Seaguar floro 1.38.

The needle maybe 1.5mm

with the suggestions, I may just change or go with a thinner ande depending.
Soft steel is at 1.2 - wow
momoi 1.45

Mar 9, 2012
Modesto, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
20' Duckworth & 2320 Parker
Take a razor blade and cut the end of the Ande off clean. Then take the the razor blade and cut the Ande at an angle. The first step removes any burrs on the leader from having cut it with clippers and the second step gives it a taper which really helps get it into the needle.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Take a razor blade and cut the end of the Ande off clean. Then take the the razor blade and cut the Ande at an angle. The first step removes any burrs on the leader from having cut it with clippers and the second step gives it a taper which really helps get it into the needle.
Winner.winner. Chicken dinner. Thanks so much. This worked. Was talking took Travis at squidco. All is good.
Saludos

Reactions: Fishnmike_2002
Mar 9, 2012
Modesto, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
20' Duckworth & 2320 Parker
Glad it worked for you. I started making wind-ons last year and its been a real learning experience on how to make it work without buying every possible tool out there.

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
What type of crimps work best? Dual side or the oval shaped? aluminum or steel? What Size crimp for 200# Ande?

I was told 9/0 hook with 200# Ande and #10 crimp.