Mono line question

MNFLSDLV

Mar 17, 2021
Las Vegas
Name
Buddy Karas
Boat
Pinnacle and Long range
Hello and thank you in advance for the replies.
I just got what is by far my personal and friends and family best fish, a 185lb bluefin, using information gathered here.
Thanks to all for that as well.

Moving on to my question, I am having a little (a lot) casting my lever drag Accurate Reels. I mean casting out the live bait or colt sniper, I'm not talking about casting surface iron or heavy lures. They mono springs up like crazy, even on 20' underhand casts, and even when (in my mind anyway) I keep my thumb on the spool the entire tie.
Part of the issue is how amazing their free spool is, for sure.
Part is I obviously need more practice.

Is another part of the issue my mono choice? I have Izorline first string as my topshot. It it by nature super springy ( for lack of a better word)?
Is there a better choice for top shot. A line that is strong/reliable and low memory or supple?

Any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: anemic
Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
Have you changed your mono recently and are you wetting your line with a spray bottle of water before casting practice?

Reactions: Dbado1
Upvote 0

MNFLSDLV

Mar 17, 2021
Las Vegas
Name
Buddy Karas
Boat
Pinnacle and Long range
Have you changed your mono recently and are you wetting your line with a spray bottle of water before casting practice?
The mono is brand new, but no, I did not pre wet it, I totally forgot about that tip...
That really is crucial, isn't it?

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Izor Line is a little springy. I like P line. Did you drag the line ? If the reel has cast controll use it, if not thumb the side of the spool. Add a little arc to your cast. Good luck.

Reactions: MNFLSDLV
Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
If there is a chance to do this on the boat when people aren't fishing - put your hook in on of the corner trolling rod straps, and walk up the side until 20' of line is out. Put the reel in full and pull hard. Good way to get some of the spring out of your line and to test your connections.

Be sure to give anyone near you a heads up, in case your connection gives... and again, only when no one is fishing, don't be that guy.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Tymeflyme

Almost A Member
Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
I use Berkley Big Game mostly and it casts pretty good underhand lob and overhand cast. It just comes down to practice throwing 1oz Weight for sardine and 3oz for surface and 5oz for bombs.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    What lever drag Accurate reel? There is a trick to getting the spool moving without having a gap where the tension of line over speeds the output of the line going out with the cast. So gotta get the spool fast in the beginning but moving just enough to feed the cast. Heavy spool reels you need to learn a different way to cast. On big reels (ATD) you can do this two ways. One way is a round out cast, an exaggerated side angle cast. Another is to follow through with the rod upside down and the rod brought down pointing at the water.

M
    MNFLSDLV
    The reel is the Dauntless 600N. Thank you, I will try to work both of those ways of casting and see if I can get better results.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    In addition to the advice about casting technique.....Izor 1st string is (IMO) really stiff. I like it & use it for anything except casting rigs. I would suggest trying another (softer) line, whether it's Izor XXX, or similar.

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Who spooled the line ? There is a chance that the person spooled the line off the end of the spool vs having the spool roll off the side. That would result with the line twisted ?

Either way to help correct that problem. When the boat is running let the line out a 100 or more yards with nothing on the end. No hook. The line will untwist itself. Give it a minute or 2 and wind back on. Good to go

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Try straight spectra to short fc, 12', top shot. I use fg knot where the knot is just off the spool and the bait is hanging at the reel when I cast. A little practice and you will love it

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Yes This. I use 15' fluoro top shot. Same concept, less bulky line for the sardine to drag around, less mono springing off the reel to mess you up.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    50 and 60 lb
    That can be a little tough as Izorline can be stiff and it has a good memory. As an experiment, strip off 10 ft of line while on the land and let it lay at your feet. Does it lay in nice tight coils the same size diameter as your reel spool? If it does, then the line has memory and it will be difficult as a beginner to deal with that.

You can reduce the memory somewhat by dragging the line behind your boat for awhile while underway before rigging. It "stretches" out the memory somewhat, but not completely. You can try changing line manufactures. Berkley Big game, Soft Steel, Jinkai are "softer" lines. Also the longer the line is on a reel, the more it takes a set. Fishing geeks will be known to change their lines every morning so it comes off the spool nice. Generally the bulk spool will have a diameter twice or 3 times your reel diameter so it seems like it is laying flat on the water as it has no memeory to revert back to.

Mike lackey on the Vagabond is an excellent bait fisherman. He showed us the value of a flat, freshly spooled line laying in the water when a bait is pulling it as opposed to a bunch of coils in the water dragging behind the bait. All the difference in the world on getting a bite. Because of that, I stretch my line every time before I tie on the first hook of the morning. By the way, he uses Berkley Big Game because of this.

Reactions: Cubeye and Bill W
    Upvote 0

MNFLSDLV

Mar 17, 2021
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Buddy Karas
    Boat
    Pinnacle and Long range
    That can be a little tough as Izorline can be stiff and it has a good memory. As an experiment, strip off 10 ft of line while on the land and let it lay at your feet. Does it lay in nice tight coils the same size diameter as your reel spool? If it does, then the line has memory and it will be difficult as a beginner to deal with that.

You can reduce the memory somewhat by dragging the line behind your boat for awhile while underway before rigging. It "stretches" out the memory somewhat, but not completely. You can try changing line manufactures. Berkley Big game, Soft Steel, Jinkai are "softer" lines. Also the longer the line is on a reel, the more it takes a set. Fishing geeks will be known to change their lines every morning so it comes off the spool nice. Generally the bulk spool will have a diameter twice or 3 times your reel diameter so it seems like it is laying flat on the water as it has no memeory to revert back to.

Mike lackey on the Vagabond is an excellent bait fisherman. He showed us the value of a flat, freshly spooled line laying in the water when a bait is pulling it as opposed to a bunch of coils in the water dragging behind the bait. All the difference in the world on getting a bite. Because of that, I stretch my line every time before I tie on the first hook of the morning. By the way, he uses Berkley Big Game because of this.
    Thank you very much that is exactly the insight I was looking for.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Old line is next to impossible to get bit on bait. Used to change my line every night when I used Ande long time ago. I hated watching others getting bit so the line change is #1. If you see any line curl, no bueno.

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 24, 2006
    new palestine indiana
    Name
    kerry way
    Boat
    18' javalin
    a 10 once torpedo sinker works great too get your line ready for a days fishing. Drop it down as far as you need and reel it up a couple times. You get your line wet and layed down nice and tight and even on your spool.

Reactions: Bill W and MNFLSDLV
    Bill W
    Bill W
    You can do this with a hook anytime.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    If I have a setup that I expect to be making a lot of casts or any long casts I will let my line out behind the boat as we are leaving the harbor. This A) gets any stretch out, and B) wets the line. Seems to work for me.

Upvote 0