I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
6/7/12
AM @ the receiver at Dana I see the Helena with one Asian in a trench coat on the boat, figuring he is just rich and eccentric I ask the bait guy what's that about? He says the guy is a Monk and he rented the boat and loading up on bait so he could go outside the harbor and release all the bait. Ok then what better Karma for the start of the day. He also says there was rumor of yellows on paddies 7 miles out, so off the wife and I go. Found HUNDREDS of paddies with no life at all beneath them, 65.7 degree water and blue. So about 10 am we go back inside south of Dana and set for halibut and WSB for luck. About 11am the wife gets picked up by a freight train that damn near spools her so we start up the engine and follow. She doesn't get bit off so no shark and head shakes so I thinking the right kind. Fifteen minutes later the length of a shark appears under the boat, biggest WSB I have seen in person. Fifty three inches and thick, any idea of weight, my guess over fifty? Water inshore up to 67 degrees.

Attachments

Swampchicken

Master Of All Thats Good
Nov 30, 2007
Yorba Linda
www.okumafishingusa.com
Name
Davey
Boat
Parker 1800 "Work Boat"
Very nice on the WSB. Hopefully the paddy fishing will turn on soon.

superjet

Feb 19, 2012
HB
Name
David
Boat
2003 PRO-LINE 20 cc Sport
nice Catch , your wife sounds like a cool wife going fishing and hooking up on big WSB, what type of bait were you using

Bold #7

Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
Superjet
The wife has always been there to fish she's great, gotta stop taken her though she always kickss my ass, although it was fun to see her do battle with the monster. She got it on a dine.

rodngun762

Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
TAANKER, and fat still too! I was worried they were all getting spawned out and skinny. congrats

really funny story about the monk....

lega*sea

Nov 18, 2011
canyon lake
Name
james
Boat
lega*sea 17' Arima sea ranger and SAUERFISH
WOW!!!!!! congrats... true trophy. You and the young lady will be eating well for a LONG while

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
I told the monk story to a friend and he told me the reason the monk did the release thing is for all the brothers And sisters that were lost at sea for different tragic reasons. I guess they believe this will bring some kind of closure to their lost souls. But what the hell do I know..

Whiskey

Repeat Offender
Mar 14, 2007
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
23' Offshore Pathfinder "Second Sun"
Nice catch, congrats. You must have a happy life with a wife that stoked.

Fin Fever

May 6, 2004
Seal Beach
Name
Johannes
Boat
44 Pacifica
congrats on the tanker WSB what a trophy!

I understand that the thing with the letting bait go free is a Buddhist belief. Basically letting caged animals go free is supposed to give you good karma. I think they buy caged birds too and set them free.

superjet

Feb 19, 2012
HB
Name
David
Boat
2003 PRO-LINE 20 cc Sport
Superjet
The wife has always been there to fish she's great, gotta stop taken her though she always kickss my ass, although it was fun to see her do battle with the monster. She got it on a dine.
Cheers Bud thanks for the Info! Much Appreciated!!

going to get my fix this weekend!!

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
Nice going on a fatty WSB !!!

There have been a few huge Maine lobsters caught in Socal and I think those were released by some monks as well.

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Looking at the title I thought this was going to be another one of those

"went out fishing but the weather was too rough, so we came in and went to Point Loma Seafoods and limited out on monkfish and wsb!"

reports.