Monkey off The Back

Dec 5, 2009
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Don
Boat
Hana Bata Days-26 Yellow Fin
Been trying hard all year to get some yellow sickles in the boat but no luck but heard there were some around so still kept trying. Left the ramp on Sunday at 4:30 not too many trailers had heard fishing had slowed down, but my son Jordon(12), wanted to go so thats all I needed. Went to the parking lot, I mean the can and find 8 boats floating around trying for shibis. Put out my normal moldcrafts and a couple luckly lures to try and go through the obstacle course. Not much luck, so after it started to get light decide to go hunting. As we are pulling away snag a good sized shibi, blood in the boat before 7 and we are happy. Heading straight out to who knows where get a call from Jeff who was working his way out. He said he found the porpoise on the inside and the ahi's were biting. We were 17 miles, he was 11 miles, so reel in the lines and full throttle in. By the time we get there he had boated his ahi and another boat had joined the fun. Slowed down put the spread out slowly get in and BAM, game on. Jordon on the reel and I clear lines. After an hour Jordon taps out needs a break so I get on the reel, 45 minutes later get the fish to the side of the boat and set the gaff. Spend 15 minutes trying to get the fish in the boat and then into the box to ice down. It just fit the six foot box, so I knew it was a big boy. Call Jeff tell him we are heading in not going to get gready. Pull up to scale about 11, wieghed in at 198, think they need to replace that rusty scale so I could have gotten the extra 2 pounds, but who cares, left that monkey swimming for dear life out on the water. Gotta say thanks to Jeff for the call, and Jordon next time its all you! What a great early Christmas present!

Attachments

BG11

Feb 1, 2012
KAILUA-KONA
Name
BG
Boat
SMALL KINE BOAT
Don, nice yellow. Awesome to spend a day out on the water with your boy. I bet he'll never forget it. Mahalo for sharing

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Jordon and Don,

Simply perfect, what a great morning, beautiful fish, hats off to Jeff for the call, how can you not love the porpoise pile. Good call on blasting it back in (to the porpoise)...

Cheers
Pat

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Don and Jordan, good going on the ahi. Your persistence through out the year paid off, a nice one too.

oahu seacat

Jun 27, 2012
kailua Hawaii
Name
kevin
Boat
hinahana
Nothing better than sharing an experience like that with your son! Way to go Jeff on the call and sharing the info. Beautiful fish. Was it choppy, I heard the wind picked up on Sunday?

wailua boy

Jun 30, 2010
wailua
nice fish Don, nothing beats father son fishing time. Jordon will have memories he'll never forget. Love fishing with my dad, I will always have solid memories of us fishing together :hali_olutta:

Morris Lures

Pirate
Feb 17, 2010
Mililani, Hawaii
Name
Nick
Boat
FORCE 21
Good going to the father and son team. I'm sure he is telling all his friends at school about it today.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Mahalo for sharing your incredible catch!!! Your son and father team is definitely a winning combo. Can't wait to get my son out there with me. Gotta wait awhile though he's not even two yet. Aloha no

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Nice fish!

Jus10

Nov 27, 2010
Wahiawa
Name
Jus10
Boat
Kimi-Some
sick story........i had the same thing happen on our first ahi ever...198 on that rusted scale....as long as its over 100lbs!!!....ahi baby:2gunsfiring_v1:

blaskpa

FAMOUS GROUSE
Oct 1, 2010
Kailua/HI/USA
Name
Paul
Boat
FamousGrouse
That boys hooked for life! Nice job Don! My monkey is still riding and getting heavier by the day. Congrats.