Hophead

When’s the next trip
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
2-7 on bft. Slack high tide. 10:30-noon. Family fun. 30/30 numbers. Bait was marginal at best. Light line and small hooks I’ll blame for the low percentage of landed fish. Or I just suck at fishing, which is the stronger possiblity. Regardless, mom and son had fun!

F9B7FACD-2BA8-4E7E-A20A-B6394A51F396.jpeg

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Way to go!

Hophead

When’s the next trip
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
Can someone explain why we pulled 3 hooks yesterday? I had mutu light wire circle #2 get pulled and live bait #4. Went total finesse, 20# test. Broke off only one. We had fish going for 20-30 mins at times, even one going for over an hour due to the light drag and 20#.

DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Can someone explain why we pulled 3 hooks yesterday? I had mutu light wire circle #2 get pulled and live bait #4. Went total finesse, 20# test. Broke off only one. We had fish going for 20-30 mins at times, even one going for over an hour due to the light drag and 20#.
Small circles have a tough time getting enough meat to get a grip on the corner of the mouth; with those size fish you really need a larger circle than what they are biting on now but that's the price you pay to get bit. I just use regular Live bait hooks and set them early

Hophead

When’s the next trip
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
Small circles have a tough time getting enough meat to get a grip on the corner of the mouth; with those size fish you really need a larger circle than what they are biting on now but that's the price you pay to get bit. I just use regular Live bait hooks and set them early
Thanks for the comeback. I guess the drag alone after you’re on isn’t enough of a hook set. I use quality hooks. I’ve seen dudes doing a jerking of the rod, I guess that’s the hook set? I usually just click in gear and start the fight!

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
No with circles you just wind the line tight and let the hook set itself in the corner like its supposed to. If you jerk a circle hook you are more likely to disrupt the path of the line and the circle wont get a good bite at all. The turned in barb of the circle only catches the skin when the hook does a 180 turn trying to escape the mouth and get hung in the corner thus leaving the hook and line outside the teeth. A J hook can get stuck in the gills, roof of the mouth, or anywhere else depending on how deep it gets swallowed, the longer you wait the set the hook the deeper the hook goes down the throat as the fish swallows the bait leaving the line inside the mouth and likely to get chewed off in a long battle. Hence the need to set the J hook early to try and get the hook set in outer edge of the mouth

Reactions: Hophead

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Small hooks = pulled hooks.

Try a light wire 1x mustad demon in 2/0 or 3/0. they get bit great. You just can't put a ton of heat to them.

Works for us.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Bronze mustad live bait hooks 2 and 4 work, just put it in gear and let it pull to the corner like a circle. I think you can go bigger if you butt hook. Up to a 2/0.