fishsouthcounty

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 21, 2007
Dana Point
Name
Tim
Boat
OK Trident 13
Long story short, 2 guys, gentlemens start out the gate about 8. 267 area. Back to the slip by 2. 6 dorado

Over the last 3 weeks i have been out 7 times on friends boats trying to get into some Dorado. My first Dorado to be exact. Of these 7 trips 4 of the previous were total blanks leaving out of dana, two fishing the local banks, and two running all the way to the border essentially. All for nada. Sloppy windchop and swell seemed to make it impossible to spot paddies every trip. After trailering down to SD i finally got some fish, but again, no Dorado. 6 yellows on one trip and 2 on the other out of San Diego i was a much happier fisherman but still looking for that first Dorado.

Sunday night i got a call from a member at the Country Club i work at saying he was fishing Monday. I was lucky enough to get some numbers from TravisT on Sunday night of an area that produced that morning. Sure enough, the area was still holding come Monday. Leave the harbor glass conditions. We headed towards the most southern of the 3 sets of numbers i got at a smooth 26-28 mph. As we headed up and out from the first number we see 2 boats just outside of us and could see dorado jumping everywhere, after making contact we were invited in.

Most epic fishing ive had in a while. Fish from 5-30 lbs jumping on the kelp to hundreds of feet off of it. Long drifts/soaks produced hook ups well off the kelp. I think we fished the kelp productively for 2 hours with i think all 5 boats catching fish. We had 4 on board for 2 guys before they stopped biting and we went on the search, came back an hour later after finding only 1 dry kelp up the line and put 2 more on the boat, 1 for me, and 1 for the other guy. We left these fish biting for sure.

No monster fish for me...but my first came in at a respectable 15 lbs with the others probably floating between 8-12. Definitely a day to remember for me

Also, if you look closely at the last photo...you can see my hook down by the pelvic fin....the line was strung across the corners of the mouth, looped across the pelvic fin where the hook came across and caught the mainline pulling tight and essentially Lassoing the fuckin thing. Anybody ever done this??? caught a calico bass a couple years ago like this.

Attachments

rodngun762

Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Cool!

Also, if you look closely at the last photo...you can see my hook down by the pelvic fin....the line was strung across the corners of the mouth, looped across the pelvic fin where the hook came across and caught the mainline pulling tight and essentially Lassoing the fuckin thing. Anybody ever done this??? caught a calico bass a couple years ago like this.

Yes! I thought I was just super lucky this summer when it happened to me! just a treefish though

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
Congrats man, well done

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Awesome awesome awesome!! Congrats on landing your personal new species, that's huge!!

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Dorado have always been the funest to catch for me.Congrats dude.

fishsouthcounty

Jun 21, 2007
Dana Point
Name
Tim
Boat
OK Trident 13
thanks guys...it was pretty epic. definitely most fun species ive caught so far..hopefully get another shot before the water cools and they take off.

picture of the calico i lasso'd couple years ago

Attachments