Momoi Monofilament - Your Thoughts?

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
I have been a big believer in Izorline XXX for many years. Bulk spools of 25, 30, 40, and 50. As you know, the manufacturing location has changed and we’ve been hearing ”stories” of quality issues.

So I’m considering trying Momoi for the first time. Does anyone have any opinions on either the Diamond or High Catch? Especially how it compares to Izor XXX in terms of limpness / ease of casting, strength, and overall quality?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
The original "Hi-Catch" is my go to mono. Everything from 16 for surf heavers to 50 for chunking and 150 and 200 for lures and speed jigging. The smaller line, 16-25, cast extremely well and have unbelievable abrasion resistance. The larger tests really want to "jump" off the spool which is what I like for chunking and live baiting.

Reactions: effigy
Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Momoi Hi-Catch is similar to Izorline XXX in softness and ease of casting. It's superior in overall quality, and it's slightly thinner than XXX in all tests. Momoi Diamond is harder, stiffer, and more abrasion resistant than Izorline XXX. This is by design, it's intended to be a great trolling line and it is. Diameter is identical to XXX.

Knots are equally easy to tie in XXX and Hi-Catch. Diamond being stiffer is a little more challenging to tie knots in the higher tests. Strength in all 3 lines is very good, they all overtest.

Finesse lines like Jinkai and Soft Steel Ultra are extremely thin, break right at their rating or less, and I am not a fan of either line in the 25lb-60lb range.

I work with all off these lines every day; Momoi Hi-Catch is my go-to line.

Upvote 0

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
I’m happy with the diamond/typically use the clear #50 & #80

Upvote 0