MOLD / MILDEW

Discussion in 'Personal News' started by BAJA.DESERT.RAT, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    It's all about the $$$$$

Been working in the plumbing trade for 30+ years. Worked in crawl spaces that looked like a nuclear disaster. Never got more than a headache.

If you really want to kill mold... We use liquid chlorine in a pump up spray can like exterminators use.

Just make sure the premises is vacated for at least 3 days after spraying and wear the appropriate masks while applicating.

Never had a call back.

2. BAJA.DESERT.RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT Member

Name:
    DA RAT
    Boat:
    NONE
    THANK YOU ALL for the feedback.

we're going with washing the wall down with 50/50 bleach and water TWICE. then the kiltz paint, two coats and then whatever color my daughter wants.

thank you again,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

3. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    if you use the oil base, make sure you open the windows

4. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    This topic has raised its ugly head on me: found out my condo exterior wall has mold in it. Always would smell what I thought was the toilet from the adjoining bathroom. The complex is 70's vintage, and has that ol' rustic rock glued to the bottom 2ft. Opening up the interior wall and I find it is so old and deteriorated that dirt from the planter is actually coming into the wall. My insurance says they won't touch it, so now I have to wait on the HOA. They're good enough people on our Board, but no guessing how long the bid process will take. So here's a question: I'm thinking about using cement board on the inside of the wall, then mudding it like drywall. I'd have to buy it out of pocket after the work begins; certainly don't expect a crew hired to repair would volunteer that board. Obviously, HOA & contractors got to correct the outside of the exterior wall. Any thoughts on this?

5. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Once you get the problem with the exterior fixed, installing cement board instead of drywall won't do anything but make the job harder. How do you plan on finishing the rough texture of cement board, smooth coating the whole interior?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Mo Betta likes this.
  6. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    The rock has to be R&R'd for proper waterproofing of the wall. Since this work is going to run over the $$$ threshold for requiring a permit, make sure that a permit gets pulled

7. smokinwater

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Gil: since me and mud (and stucco) don't play well, I was thinking that IF a consensus here said it would be a good thing, the guy I have doing the hanging would be the one to- I guess- smooth coat it.
    Wils: the association Prez was telling me our Head Maint guy (owner of company) is a general contractor, so I imagine he's savy in permit reqs. but your point is definitely something I'll look for. I don't plan on being far from the job, that's for sure.

8. smokinwater

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Met with 3 board members and their general contractor. They all agree association will have to be the lead on this project. They're talking permits and soils survey & engineering to deal with the moisture in the soil from contacting the structure above the slab line. I think I'm gonna be OK here, but will still be on site during the work. Thx all. Jon

9. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    well, heck. may as well talk to them about the installation of a "french drain". or maybe they are already including it in their scope of work needed.

10. KnotyBuoyz

KnotyBuoyz Not so newbie anymore

Name:
    Randall
    Boat:
    27x10

Soil above the slab line? That sounds strang. Unless there is a water proofed concrete or masonry retaining wall the dirt should not be above the slab. The dirt should be eight inches below the PT wood sill plate.

In post 24 you said there was dirt in the wall from the planter?

Something went terribly wrong in the design and construction of that condo building.

11. KnotyBuoyz

KnotyBuoyz Not so newbie anymore

Name:
    Randall
    Boat:
    27x10
    Wils, is that French drain installed before or after the blood sucking lawyers get ahold of this? :rolleyes:

This project sounds as if they could be in for; civil engineer doing new grading and drainage plan as no way that dirt should be up against unknown finish on exterior of a wood framed wall, structural engineer determining if current foundation system is adequate for acting as a retaining wall foundation if dirt has to remain above slab elevation, temporary shoring of the structure while concrete or masonry wall is installed below grade in lieu of wood framing. Repair wood framing to retaining wall interface, drywall, exterior finish, etc.

Let's hope there is just a small raised planter in an isolated area that can easily be removed and repairs made. Without more insight it is tuff to figure this one out, but I am sure glad you or I didn't build it. :D

12. smokinwater

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    The complex is mid-70's era. Only thing that comes close to how that much soil got above the slab/bottom plates is years of planting and re-planting, never removing the soil. That wired in black siding paper and concrete was completely broken down, viewed from inside the unit. Wils, one board member was spot on saying whether a soil engineer is brought in or not, French drains is what he will be insisting on after removing several yards of soil away from the structure. Was thinking about it today: landscapers were told to shut off the sprinkler water to the planter, which has basically red apple, couple of bird of paradise and a couple of sago palms. Think I'll suggest rip out the red apple, dig out bunch of soil, add the drainage and just go to drip if any watering, which really shouldn't be more than a couple of days a week, right? Again, at least the Board is being pretty cool about wanting to take advantage of the place being empty anyhow, and get the project approved and moving.

13. smokinwater

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    Knotty: my ins agent didn't want to touch this issue, but was telling me to line up a lawyer. I said thanks, and hung up. The way I figured it, #1 I'd be suing myself, and #2 as long as the HOA Board wants this done, suing would bring the project to a complete halt.