PENN

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
After semi successfully fishing the 302/226 for tuna yesterday, I ran in to the islands to use up my bait. While at backside of North island I saw a 100# Mola Mola in 80 feet of water being in what looked like it was being mauled on the surface by about a dozen yellows. I tossed a bait at the mess and they all scattered. After a few minutes he (she?) came back up to sun casually and the yellows were gone. It really didn't look distressed or otherwise bothered. Too quick to get any pics...

Should we assume they were cleaning the Mola??

I've never seen one so close to shore. Oh, we had a few takes on slow trolled Mack's and only brought one in. Rats could barely get to the hooks :0 And the mex. speed boat was cruising around but didn't bother us or the divers at Pukey Pt.

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
They have skin like sand paper, so the YTs were probably just rubbing against it. Molas will put up with a lot of things that might be cleaning their sides. I saw one laying on the surface, letting a Seagull pick, what I assume were parasites, off it's side for at least 5 minutes before I approached it.

Upvote 0

hunt4fowl

Jul 10, 2011
CA
Name
TD
Boat
NA
Could have been some 'no-see-um' baits that were using the Mola like a paddy and the yellows were having a feeding frenzy.

I have seen yellows pounding a shark on the surface 3 times now, all just off the salt works at Cedros at different times on different boats. Pretty cool to see and I have to beleive it was some sort of mutually beneficial/friendly relationship like many other marine species share? The yellows were really hammering the sharks and one would think if the sharks didn't like it they would just swim away? In one case it was pretty obvious it was a thresher, but the others were not so obvious...but they were all on the smaller side, say 3-5' in length, so nothing really cool there. We never stopped or drifted on these fish/sharks, although in every case we were able to pull a few off with surface plugs up in the bow on approach, but a bite never developed when everyone threw thier offerings after the intial hookups and as far as I recall no chum was ever thrown or engines cut. None of the captains ever gave much of look on these occasions, guessing because there was no "meat" on the sonar and these were just small gangs of yellows doing thier thing and probably because they have all seen this before? I would have to guess this type of thing goes on more often than we see and in general if we are seeing fish doing anything but eating, its probably not going to lead to much more than seeing fish doing something besides eating. Still cool to witness and I hope I get to see it again.

Upvote 0

desertbonito

Jul 15, 2009
Redlands, CA
Name
Allen
Boat
Triumph 170CC
Yellows pound into larger fish to make them regurgitate, then they eat that. I have seen them do it to blue sharks a couple times

Sounds like a YT search warrant service--kick the door, grab the contraband.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Parasitic frenzy....

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Another reason why I like the ocean over a lake!

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Blue perch clean molas not yellows
Lots of animals clean lots of fish. I have video of a Mola being cleaned by Seniorita fish. And, like I said, I have seen a Mola lay on it's side at the surface to allow a Seagull to pick at it. Sharks and Molas I would think are as close to a sand rub as many open water fish are going to get at times? There have got to be a lot of mutually beneficial relationships going on out there that most of us will never see. Hell, Nat Geo comes up with some every year that I have never seen (and many of those are above water).

Upvote 0