Modified FG Knot

lichenpan

• Oct 22, 2018
    Chino Hills
    Name
    Albert
    Boat
    None
    The first several wraps have tendency to get loose as they constantly hit the guides. I thought that doing some half hitches in the beginning of the FG knot could help.

BlackShuck

Jun 12, 2018
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Brady
    Boat
    N/A
    The first several wraps have tendency to get loose as they constantly hit the guides. I thought that doing some half hitches in the beginning of the FG knot could help.
    Sounds like you aren't cinching the knot down tight enough. Make sure the braid is biting all the way down to the front of the knot. The knot tightens from the back to the front, so if you aren't "completing" the cinch then it will come undone.
    Buy/make some knot pulling dowels, they've made my FG knots beautiful.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    In heavier line you really can't cinch the initial/bottom wraps fully tight by pulling after the braiding is completed; you have to maintain tension while braiding, and the heavier the line the more tension you need. Apply more tension while forming the wraps and cinch when complete as above. Putting half hitches on the bottom impedes the FG from even forming and makes the whole knot irrelevant/trash.

Reactions: lazyfisherman
    Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    In heavier line you really can't cinch the initial/bottom wraps fully tight by pulling after the braiding is completed; you have to maintain tension while braiding, and the heavier the line the more tension you need. Apply more tension while forming the wraps and cinch when complete as above. Putting half hitches on the bottom impedes the FG from even forming and makes the whole knot irrelevant/trash.
    Heavier line also needs fewer wraps to help get even tension and bite into the mono/fluoro.

Reactions: ChicoBob and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Heavier line also needs fewer wraps to help get even tension and bite into the mono/fluoro.

For the heavier combos.....could you give us an example of # wraps vs line test?

I still did 20 wraps for the 80 braid / 60 mono combo.

What about 100 braid / 80 (or 100) mono & fluoro? At that point are you doing say 18 wraps? 16?

How about even heavier.....130 braid to 120/130 mono & fluoro?

Thanks much!

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    If your FG Knot isn't satisfying you, do what I did and switch to the Royal Polaris Knot. Have had zero slippage on it, even on my 30lb fluoro that was being bitten off by them bluefin.

Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    20 wraps for below 60# and 16 wraps for heavier than 60. Do a search in this forum there are some excellent threads about the best way to tie a FG. The general consensus is only one snug half hitch to lock the wraps in (snug, not too tight as it causes failure by cutting in to the knot) and then finish with a Rizzuto. Clip the mono/fluoro tag close so that it doesn't hang up in the guides. Then a little dab of glue on the Rizzuto only.

Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    20 wraps for below 60# and 16 wraps for heavier than 60. Do a search in this forum there are some excellent threads about the best way to tie a FG. The general consensus is only one snug half hitch to lock the wraps in (snug, not too tight as it causes failure by cutting in to the knot) and then finish with a Rizzuto. Clip the mono/fluoro tag close so that it doesn't hang up in the guides. Then a little dab of glue on the Rizzuto only.
    Yes, this almost exactly except I don't use the glue. Also don't go nuts trying to cinch the knot with your line pullers (too much and you just stretch and weaken the line), just enough to get an even tension on the wraps. The only way is to practice and practice...

For the heavier combos.....could you give us an example of # wraps vs line test?

I still did 20 wraps for the 80 braid / 60 mono combo.

What about 100 braid / 80 (or 100) mono & fluoro? At that point are you doing say 18 wraps? 16?

How about even heavier.....130 braid to 120/130 mono & fluoro?

Thanks much!
    See above as a guide, you may need to alter the number of wraps to suite your application. You need to practice with "your line and leaders". There is no magic number of wraps, just practice and more practice. It helps if you understand what you are doing to the line and how the knot holds...

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Thanks guys. I have good results & confidence with the lighter stuff (65 braid & below). Just don't have much experience with the heavier stuff yet, hence the question.

Upvote 0

keada714

Jun 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    None
    As the two post above me. FG to Rizzuto with line puller (no glue for me) have been my go to knot. No issue with it pulling or anything. I would have to agree it has to be "perfect" when using on 30 and below.

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    FG is not a 100% knot when I did a line breaking test for 135# mono to 135# braid. The braid broke right in the middle of the knot both times.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    Under how much duress?
    I did not have a gauge to measure. What I did not understand is why both times the braid broke right in the middle of the knot. Maybe some one could confirm this with their own test.

D
    Dbado1
    They will break at the half hitch if the half hitch was pulled too tight. One half hitch snugged then a Rizzuto.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Pics would help. Every time I've tried breaking an FG knot the braid breaks away from the knot.
    A real-world test: On recent trip, I was long-soaking a bait. 50 lb braid, FG knot to 35 lb Sunline fluoro. Got picked up by a big fish, couldn't stop it. 10 wraps left on spool I broke it off. The FG held, and the fluoro broke at the hook, SD knot.

Bill W
    Bill W
    Yep… the hook connection. FG knot is consistent is all I care.
    Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0