Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I'm going crazy searching for a relatively recent post or thread in which the guy recommends a mobile trailer service in OC. He even says something like "you can't get that kind of service nowadays".

At any rate, any recommendations or can anyone post a link to the thread if you know what I'm talking about? It's within the last year, I'd say.

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Tony's mobile trailer service 714-334-3194

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Tony's mobile trailer service 714-334-3194

Jesus Christ THANK YOU!

Reactions: Hismosa

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Just an FYI

I repack my own bearings every year as a preventative measure. I got one starting to get warm and just didn't have the time to work on it this year so I reached out to him last week. I also wanted the brake line replaced that goes between the calipers. Brake rotors, calipers and actuator are about 18 months old.

Trailer is a dual axle, brakes on one axle.

His response:

Screensho.jpg

Not knocking him but I obviously didn't go with him, just thought it was way way too high so I made the time and pounded it out saturday morning myself.

I think he may be used to people stranded on the side of the road, my issue was it was just preventative, like I said I do it every year.

Brakes were fine, slide pins still had lube, piston retracted etc.

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Just an FYI

I repack my own bearings every year as a preventative measure. I got one starting to get warm and just didn't have the time to work on it this year so I reached out to him last week. I also wanted the brake line replaced that goes between the calipers. Brake rotors, calipers and actuator are about 18 months old.

His response:

View attachment 1158204

Not knocking him but I obviously didn't go with him, just thought it was way way too high so I made the time and pounded it out saturday morning myself.

I think he may be used to people stranded on the side of the road, my issue was it was just preventative, like I said I do it every year.
    Reached out to him as well recently and he was quick to respond but I too passed as I thought price was too high for what it is. Ended up doing it myself.

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany

• Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Reached out to him as well recently and he was quick to respond but I too passed as I thought price was too high for what it is. Ended up doing it myself.

Remember when you could get your bearings packed for $50-75 per hub including bearings? I think those days are long gone.

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Just an FYI

His response:

View attachment 1158204

Brakes were fine, slide pins still had lube, piston retracted etc.

Thank you for telling me. I'm waiting on a quote so we'll see what he says. Doesn't hurt to ask, but now I'll brace for impact.

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Like CC Delaney mentioned, I pull the hubs, remove the seals and inspect the bearings and races every spring.

I lost a bearing once in August near Palm Springs, never again. I also carry a trailer box whenever I tow, it has 4 sets of bearings, races, seals, grease, brake fluid and Bearing Buddys. I haven't had to open the box yet for my own trailer but I have sold lots of parts out of it to guys who dont do maint on their boat trailers

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    You get your quote back?

He couldn't provide a straight quote for lights because there's too many variables without testing.

He did provide a quote for bearings and it was $650. West Coast will do it for just under $400. Guess I'm towing it to West Coast.

Also, I diagnosed my lights issue myself and fixed it today. Woohoo!

Capt.C.Delany

• Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    One of the best things I did to my trailer was swap over to LED lights. Never had a problem after that.

My belief is most of the trailer lighting issues come from a bad ground. Well I started thinking, you need more voltage to power an incandescent bulb, so any corrosion or inhibition in the ground could potentially restrict the circuit, thus the lights don't come on.

Well what if you had a light that didn't draw near the amperage and could function on much less voltage? some corrosion in the ground wire wouldn't be that big of a deal. Swapped them over with a $25 set from Amazon and haven't had one problem.

( Amazon product )

It could also be because they are kind of sealed? IDK, all I know is I am super happy with them. When this set screws up Ill just buy a complete other set.

Good on you for taking the bull by the horns with preventative maintenance, Wayne at West Coast is a great dude and stands behind everything he does.

I would most certainly learn how to do your bearings yourself at some point in the off chance you are stranded somewhere, and its good to know what all the pieces of the pie do.

Here is a great video of how to do a non-brake axle. (idle axle)

The only difference between that video and doing a brake axle is the caliper has to come off because the hub/rotor are typically one piece. Those two bolts that hold the caliper to the axle can really be a nightmare to get off, I carry a cheater bar in my truck tool box just for this reason.

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    One of the best things I did to my trailer was swap over to LED lights. Never had a problem after that.

My belief is most of the trailer lighting issues come from a bad ground. Well I started thinking, you need more voltage to power an incandescent bulb, so any corrosion or inhibition in the ground could potentially restrict the circuit, thus the lights don't come on.

Well what if you had a light that didn't draw near the amperage and could function on much less voltage? some corrosion in the ground wire wouldn't be that big of a deal. Swapped them over with a $25 set from Amazon and haven't had one problem.

( Amazon product )

It could also be because they are kind of sealed? IDK, all I know is I am super happy with them. When this set screws up Ill just buy a complete other set.

Good on you for taking the bull by the horns with preventative maintenance, Wayne at West Coast is a great dude and stands behind everything he does.

I would most certainly learn how to do your bearings yourself at some point in the off chance you are stranded somewhere, and its good to know what all the pieces of the pie do.

Here is a great video of how to do a non-brake axle. (idle axle)

The only difference between that video and doing a brake axle is the caliper has to come off because the hub/rotor are typically one piece. Those two bolts that hold the caliper to the axle can really be a nightmare to get off, I carry a cheater bar in my truck tool box just for this reason.

Yeah, the second thing I checked is the ground. Guess what? That fixed it.

My lights are already LED but half of them aren't lighting up on one side. The boat and trailer had been sitting with the dealer for over a year and I think they didn't wash it down for the several times it was taken out for sea trial.

I'm buying new LEDs from Amazon, which are the same ones I currently have. I think once I swap them out, the new ones will last for a long time.

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Like CC Delaney mentioned, I pull the hubs, remove the seals and inspect the bearings and races every spring.

I lost a bearing once in August near Palm Springs, never again. I also carry a trailer box whenever I tow, it has 4 sets of bearings, races, seals, grease, brake fluid and Bearing Buddys. I haven't had to open the box yet for my own trailer but I have sold lots of parts out of it to guys who dont do maint on their boat trailers

OP, there is always a premium for someone to come out to you and fix something when you add the word Mobile. But the quotes he gave is robbery and probably more for the big rigs. $250 is a significant savings by taking it to local shop. But if you ever replaced a tire on a vehicle, replacing bearings or greasing is just a few more steps. So many vids on youtube which is how I learn how to repair just about anything now a days and rather enjoy it.

I have lost 2 bearings and almost the freaking tire in one years time. 1st was a few months after buying the boat travelling down the 57 and cars honking at me to pull over. Look at my rear view and smoke coming out of axle. Repacked and replaced all new bearings. fast forward a year later and Shit happens again but at least Im 3 miles from home and able to pull wheel off and limp home. Yup I carry spares too now.