MMSI does not give GPS numbers to USCG-Help!

Discussion in 'Boat Electronics' started by tunakillerjoe1, Jun 1, 2019.

1. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    I bought a Icom IC-M330G, GPS enabled radio and registered a MMSI number, which I entered in the radio. I tried to test the distress signal a couple of ways (NOT by pushing the Red button!), but using the DSC -Individual-routine-with the USCG MMSI number entered. (003669999) I was able to talk to a very helpful USCG person at 619 278-7031, who sees what DSC calls come to them, right as I send it. They do not respond to individual/routine DSC calls, except for distress/all ships. He said they wait 2 minutes to respond, so the closest vessels can respond first. He gets my MMSI-routine call, but no GPS numbers, and no vessel information with my MMSI number. I have done this 3 times, all the same outcome. My radio shows GPS numbers that are the same as my handheld. Does anyone know of a way to confirm a distress call is working, and sending location info without actually sending a distress call? I also tried the "other DSC" -test for this radio, but do not know what "station" to use for San Diego. Thanks for any/all help!

2. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    No takers?

3. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Is your plotter connected to the vhf?

4. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    No plotter- the radio is GPS enabled already, and has good numbers.

5. Black Cat

Black Cat Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Bertram Bahia Mar
    Check out the DSC menu and check it you are getting a gps reading, if so, then check if manual or auto mode is enabled, the instructions state that if a GPS signal is not read, manually coordinates can be entered.
    Check page 31 of the manual for sending a position call, and check the note after step 3.

If you continue to have issues call up Icom, this might be the shortest path to success.

sickcat likes this.
  6. SD2600

SD2600 Member

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    26' sea swirl
    For what it’s worth, I have purchased Icom radios in the past that we’re “out of service” right out of the box... I’ve herd good things about them but standard horizons have treated me well since...

7. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Thanks-the Std. Horizon did not connect with my hand held GPS-so I went to Icom! LOL!

8. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    More info- I did have to click "position' on the call type, which is not saved. Cannot set "position" and "test", one or the other. I did not see "polling" offered, will check again (step 3 note). Called the USCG again, and was told they do not receive the actual GPS coordinates for distress or DSC. They receive a triangulated position based on 3 signals from the transmitted radio, giving a general position! Wow! I thought the actual Lat's and Lon's were shown! Better relay specifics on 16 if you need help! Anyone have verification on this info? Seems weird! I thought I paid for the GPS info to be transmitted, thus the integrated version would do that!

9. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Send your position (by DSC) to a buddy to confirm that your radio is properly configured to send GPS info in that context.

10. Black Cat

Black Cat Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Bertram Bahia Mar
    If that is true, DSC is about useless down here. Maybe call again and see if you can speak with someone else and see if you get another answer. Everything I see online states that if GPS signal is enabled, it should send coordinates along with the call.

11. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    I am told by Boat US (the folks who give us the MMSI #) to send a position/routine/direct/ with another vessel using their MMSI number. I do not know anyone with an MMSI #. Anyone want to volunteer a number, and maybe a phone # so I can co-ordinate a time? Sure would like to assure this works!

12. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console
    Your radio is fine, your position is NOT sent with an individual call. You must send the DSC call of type "TEST", not type "INDIVIDUAL CALL". Send the DSC "TEST" call to the all USCG shore stations at 03669999. The response is automated, so your not tying up the USCG station operator.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  13. Jim_Arndt

Jim_Arndt Newbie

Name:
    Jim Arndt
    Boat:
    17' center console

You should delete this post (or at least change the title), as hundreds have read your wrong information about mmsi as you choose to bash the system before trying to research it a bit.

14. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    Hello, I am not bashing anything, just reporting what facts I have found directly from the USCG. I am also trying to assure my distress works, rather than assume. I tried the " test" also while talking to the USCG on cell. No position numbers are being received. No automated response. They said there is no "automated" response- this direcly from the coast guard. I have consulted boat us and the USCG, but Jim, if you can help, let me know or just keep trolling.

15. tunakillerjoe1

tunakillerjoe1 Member

Name:
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat:
    Valco Westcoaster
    So I took out the boat today, and thought I would give the "test" a try again. This time, I received a ACK in 11 seconds! I have no idea why I received bad information from the USCG, and boat US, or why it did not work in the past. I guess I am safe assuming the coordinates are being sent with this "test". I suppose I could contact the USCG (again) and assure they received them-