MLPA question

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Tranquility, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Tranquility

Tranquility Tranquility

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Century 3200WA
    In the Farnsworth inshore pictured below. Can I fish in here if I’m strictly trolling or spear fishing for the species of finfish listed, which includes yellowtail?

2BDE3D9E-EC91-4BED-AFD2-ED7A49E05125.png C9180391-6EAD-448F-817A-3B1EA6EE91E6.png

2. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Prohibited Uses:

1. It is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living, geological, or cultural marine resource for commercial and/or recreational purposes, with the following specified exceptions:
      1. The recreational take of pelagic finfish, by hook-and-line or by spearfishing; white seabass by spearfishing; marlin, tunas and dorado (dolphinfish) (Coryphaena hippurus) by trolling; and market squid by hand-held dip net is allowed.
      2. The commercial take of swordfish by harpoon; and coastal pelagic species by round haul net, brail gear, and light boat is allowed. Not more than five percent by weight of any commercial coastal pelagic species catch landed or possessed shall be other incidentally taken species.
    Pelagic finfish (CCR Title 14, Section 632(a)(3)), as defined for purposes of MPA regulations, are a subset of finfish defined as: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), barracudas (Sphyraena spp.), billfishes* (family Istiophoridae), dolphinfish (Coryphaena hippurus), Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), blue shark (Prionace glauca), salmon shark (Lamna ditropis), shortfin mako shark (Isurus oxyrinchus), thresher sharks (Alopiasspp.), swordfish (Xiphias gladius), tunas (family Scombridae), including Pacific bonito (Sarda chiliensis), and yellowtail (Seriola lalandi). *Marlin is not allowed for commercial take.

Yes

3. Tranquility

Tranquility Tranquility

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Century 3200WA
    I’m thinking that would include slow trolling live bait. Is that your take as well.

4. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Trolling is trolling.

5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I believe the only thing questionable in that zone is anchoring.

6. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    No question,you can anchor but better not have a calico bass or a rockfish on the boat.And if a Cbass have divers on the boat with a flag.Tom

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  7. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I am likely wrong but I thought there was an issue with anchors and the coral?

wils likes this.
  8. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    It has been brought up before,the sport boats and 6 pk anchor there a lot.Like I said you need to be careful what is on board if you friendly Dept comes bye.Most dont anchor as you have a very high chance of loosing your ground tackle.Tom

SouthBayKiller likes this.