PENN

Fin Fever

May 6, 2004
Seal Beach
Name
Johannes
Boat
44 Pacifica
Is "no take" considered catch and release? Or just no fishing at all?

That is a great question, and an interesting one to me, because I mostly like to catch fish, and only rarely keep one to eat.

Here is a quote from the DFG website on the lover's cove marine conservation area:

"Take of all living marine resources is prohibited, except for recreational take by hook-and-line from the Cabrillo Mole or take pursuant to maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department."

I thought that might mean that one could catch and release fish. If that were true, MLPAs could become a C&R fishermen's dream. So I just called Steve Wertz at DFG and asked him. He was very nice and helpful and informative. Steve explained that if you are in a "no take" marine zone then you cannot have lines in the water, not even for C&R fishing. They define "take" as pursuing fish, so C&R is pursuing fish. Thus C&R is not allowed where "take" is not allowed. If you are in a zone where fishing for some species is allowed (e.g. bonito) but others are not allowed (e.g. WSB), and you catch a WSB which you promptly release, you are not in violation. If you caught a WSB in a legal area, and then need to cross a MLPA where WSB is not allowed, you may only transit. Do not fish or stop in that MLPA with a WSB in posession.

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
You cant thave hooks tied onto your line when you are in a NO TAKE/MPA. so no you cant catch and release. Also dont stop in a MPA with fish on board from an open area.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
You cant thave hooks tied onto your line when you are in a NO TAKE/MPA. so no you cant catch and release. Also dont stop in a MPA with fish on board from an open area.

then what about when you launch from LaJolla shores thats in a "reserve area" and you go out to the "open fishing" area as i do now and catch fish, then stop in the reserve area and snorkel and take pictures, then return to the shores? i have never been harassed by DFG or life guards in the past 20 years of doing this. do you think this will change??

Upvote 0

Fin Fever

May 6, 2004
Seal Beach
Name
Johannes
Boat
44 Pacifica
then what about when you launch from LaJolla shores thats in a "reserve area" and you go out to the "open fishing" area as i do now and catch fish, then stop in the reserve area and snorkel and take pictures, then return to the shores? i have never been harassed by DFG or life guards in the past 20 years of doing this. do you think this will change??

According to what Steve at the DFG office told me, they could cite you for that.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
According to what Steve at the DFG office told me, they could cite you for that.

Someone should write this [email protected]&()[email protected]#&() a ticket!
I can't even get my boat into get bait at the In-Seine Bait dock!

damn_boat.jpg

Just another case of money talking, can't even offload the damn squid.
My thoughts on this below.

john.jpg

Upvote 0

Fin Fever

May 6, 2004
Seal Beach
Name
Johannes
Boat
44 Pacifica
No swimming, surfing this area??? That's gonna be fun to watch being enforced...
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/scmpas2012/swamibatielismca.pdf

this is actually what it says about the Swamis SMCA on the DFG website

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:

Recreational take by hook-and-line from shore is allowed.
The recreational take of pelagic finfish, including Pacific bonito, and white seabass by spearfishing is allowed.
Take pursuant to beach nourishment and other sediment management activities and operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area is allowed per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

So where did you see, "no fishing and no surfing"? I need to find these sources, so I don't end up doing something illegal.

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser

Glad you enjoyed 20 years of no harassment, because you do this after Jan 1 and you will get a ticket no questions asked.

You can only cruise on through without stopping in a MPA if you have fish. DO NOT STOP and smell the roses.

Its all fucked.

Upvote 0

Bigpondonly

Bloodydecks Seafood Co.
Dec 7, 2003
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2120
Map PDF file

Boundary: This area includes the waters below the mean high tide line within San Elijo Lagoon southeastward of a straight line between the following two points:

33° 00.980' N. lat. 117° 16.857' W. long.; and
33° 00.962' N. lat. 117° 16.850' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except operation and maintenance, maintenance dredging, habitat restoration including sediment deposition, research and education, and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or activities pursuant to Section 630, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

Boating, swimming, wading, and diving are prohibited within the conservation area.

Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
This is going to be an absolute nightmare for the DFG, it will take decades for people to figure out exactly where the boundaries are and the rules that go with them. And more importantly the majority of anglers that go by the rules and call in poachers and are courteous and helpful to the local wardens are now going to be a none to helpful. Honestly, if you are running up to NW La Jolla and see a boat throwing surface irons on a spot of Yellows of of SW, who is really going to say anything, in fact who here is not going to join in!

Just remember as Fishermen we are the enemy of the state, and they are coming at us from every angle!

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2008
La Mirada
Name
Julio Sandoval
Boat
Triumph 190 Bay
The coordinates for the corners are on the DFG website......have been for while.

F studying coordinates, I'm not a naval navigation expert. I want a clear and easy to understand map so I can stay way clear of the general area. It's gonna be a nightmare to educate the casual fisherman and a lot of people are gonna get screwed with mlpa tickets. DFG's new gold mine! I'm not worried about finding fish, I can find fish, just need to start getting really good at knowing where the mlpas are at. Oh, well just another variable in the "catching" equation.

Upvote 0
S

South Bend

For you guys having issues trying to figure out where the closures are, it's not really that hard to figure out. On the MLPA maps, they give you not only the exact lat/long coordinates of the closures, but also explain the restrictions of each area. If you still have problems, take a local Coast Guard boating class and learn how to navigate. It's not that hard to figure out if you just look at the maps.

Upvote 0

Damon S.

Almost A Member
Aug 25, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Damon
Boat
26' Shamrock
Map PDF file

Boundary: This area includes the waters below the mean high tide line within San Elijo Lagoon southeastward of a straight line between the following two points:

33° 00.980' N. lat. 117° 16.857' W. long.; and
33° 00.962' N. lat. 117° 16.850' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except operation and maintenance, maintenance dredging, habitat restoration including sediment deposition, research and education, and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or activities pursuant to Section 630, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

Boating, swimming, wading, and diving are prohibited within the conservation area.

You are quoting an area in a lagoon. Who the heck boats, swims, and dives in the disgusting waters in a stinking lagoon???

Upvote 0

M/V Santa Rosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 17, 2006
san diego
Name
Tommy
Boat
20 foot bayrunner
No shit, they got maps?
Like charts and stuff that mark spots to fish?

Upvote 0