Mixing thread finish (brands)

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by G-Spot, May 17, 2008.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    A while back there was a post on RBO about guys mixing different brands of finish to get a longer working time and smooth finish.... There were guys mixing Aftcote with Threadmaster 50/50 if I remember right....

Has anyone done this? Did you like the results? I have used Flex coat and Threadmaster and I think I like Flex coat the best.... TM high build does not give me enough time when doing marbling....

I was thinking about giving it a try, so any input or pointers would be appreciated....

2. Fishslayer

Fishslayer Tinfoil Hat

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    MV Heywood Jabloughme
    Well, if I was into marbling I would probly want to experiment a bit. Sounds like an opportunity for somebody to do some research & report back.

LS Supreme has a noticably longer pot life than F-C Lite. Those are what I use because I'm used to them and know their individual quirks.

I work kinda slow and am pretty fussy about the thickness of the finish as I apply it. Longer pot life + user friendly to me would be a good thing. However, 8 hours or more till tack free is just not practical with 2 dogs & 2 cats in the house... :(

Fishslayer

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  3. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I did a search over on RBO and found info from Billy Vivona, that he actually "routinely" mixes 1 cc TM resin, 1 cc TM hardner, 1cc aftcote resin, and 1 cc aftcote hardner. He said he did it just because, he didn;t really discuss the benefits or if it had a longer pot life.... I can only assume that it would extend the pot life....

I thought there was another post, but I mightnot be searching the right words or something.... Anyhow, I am going to give it a whirl, and I will report back the results....

Any feedback is still wanted for anyone who has tried it.....

4. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    old old thread but man, that made my day LOL
    my kids have 4 cats in the house and in the last 6 months 3 times they have trown my rod from the drier, I think its really appealing and iresistable to attack when the see the guides on the rod turning and turning, etc. etc for hours

now before put the rod on the drier I look for the cats and put all of them on one of the room of my kids overnight.

5. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    I find ideas like this are best tested by myself to see if they work for me and the way I apply finish. Everybody assumes that all rod builders do things the same way and there is nothing farther from the truth.

Until the Internet happened I had no idea that I do it all wrong. However, I'm still doing it wrong, cause it works for me.

One thing that I learned over time is that it is not necessary to mix up a all the finish needed to coat the entire rod at one time. Much better to mix smaller batches that I can apply with my method prior to the catalyst kicking in and the viscosity changing. When I see it starting to thicken, I stop using it and mix another batch.

widgeon likes this.
  6. paradoxjim

paradoxjim Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Jakary
    From Billy's website, Nerbs:

Teh Billy V Epoxy mix – This is something which Billy Vivona has been doing for several years when he first tested Threadmaster before it hit the market. He has built hundreds of rods using this mix, and have spread the word at NERBs Gatherings for years, and there are many builders who have been converted after trying it for themselves. You must mix 1CC of TM A & B, and 1CC PK A & B (4 CC’s total) in the same mix cup.What you can expect – Not as soft as Pro Kote, not as hard as Threadmaster. Bubble release is better than straight TM, but not as good as straight PK. Pot life is about 30 minutes, which is longer than TM, but not as long as PK. Sets up in about 4 hours (depending on temp), longer than TM, not nearly as long as PK.

Billy frequently types "the" as "teh," so you know that this is authentic!