Mixed advise from local stores on transducer - Simrad NSS Evo3 S with Halo 20+ bundle

Robert Muniak

May 12, 2019
Name
Robert muniak
Boat Name
Trousertrout
Any issues with the TM? Does anything negative stand out (I realize its a fairly stupid question) to you that could pass along? Other than it being way easier to install, why did you go that route over a through hull?
The manufacturer of my boat did not allow threw hulls. The only negative of the tm is that it should sit lower than the hull. I bottom out often so it will pitch up when I do and I have to reset it

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
nii
goog.com
Name
go
Boat Name
Cabo 216
Should have come to you all first

Let me stress I do not know much about these things at all.

The unit will be going on a 28' center console - that will be fished 80% south in ensenada (off shore and inshore) , with the occasional trips up north here off shore in SD. Went back and forth on the GO series packages and EVO3 packages. Decided to go up to the EVO3 S and just get the radar package while I was at it.

Went to both the local west marine locations here in SD and 3 people give me all different answers lol. They recommended one of the simrad through hull transducers but all told me to stay away from the 1kw power output models - to keep it at 600 watts. I honestly dont remember their explanation as to why. Can any of you find a reason as to why they would recommend this? They were helpful... but I always left more confused (but again probably my fault as I am not educated in this type of thing at all).

As ive looked over this section, I see the Airmar B175HW all over the place. Seen a couple that have paired it up with the EVO3 as well. That said im guessing it will pair up just fine with the EVO3 S. The package above with the B175HW.... and call it the day? If so, any particular place you guys purchasing that ducer at?

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
nii
goog.com
Name
go
Boat Name
Cabo 216
"They recommended one of the simrad through hull transducers but all told me to stay away from the 1kw power output models - to keep it at 600 watts. I honestly dont remember their explanation as to why. Can any of you find a reason as to why they would recommend this?"

Because it is a GIANT transducer compared to the 600 watt transducer. Put your eyes and hands on one before you purchase to see if it fits your needs .

Upvote 0

Nefarious

Jul 31, 2020
San Diego
Name
Leon
Boat Name
NA
"They recommended one of the simrad through hull transducers but all told me to stay away from the 1kw power output models - to keep it at 600 watts. I honestly dont remember their explanation as to why. Can any of you find a reason as to why they would recommend this?"

Because it is a GIANT transducer compared to the 600 watt transducer. Put your eyes and hands on one before you purchase to see if it fits your needs .
seen it just the other day lol. Its a beast

Upvote 0

Its 4 Reels

Nov 2, 2005
Ensenada Baja Mexico
Name
Capt. Louie Prieto
Boat Name
23' Parker - It's 4 Reels!
I am having a hard time finding a B175HW. Anyone know the difference between that and an xSonic SS175H-W? Besides onebeing bronze and the other stainless steel I don't see much of a difference

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2019
Pomona
Name
Javier
Boat Name
Skippy 24 Fly
I am having a hard time finding a B175HW. Anyone know the difference between that and an xSonic SS175H-W? Besides onebeing bronze and the other stainless steel I don't see much of a difference
No difference. Stainless one intended for aluminum hulls or fiberglass. Bronze for fiberglass only. BOE is where I ordered mine. Also check Hodges marine.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2019
Pomona
Name
Javier
Boat Name
Skippy 24 Fly
I was just wondering about the name "xSonic" if there was a difference
I’m pretty sure that one comes pre wired with the xsonic connector for simrad /lowrance so you don’t need a adapter. My hds carbon 9 needed the 7 pin blue connector in order to keep the AI ducer connected.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
I was just wondering about the name "xSonic" if there was a difference
Xsonic means the connector is 9 pin connector. The older versions are 7 pin connectors.

Most Airmar transducers that does not come with a Xsonic transducer connector requires an adapter box like the 33-1230-01 in order to convert the signals from the cable to a Xsonic cable to connect to your fish finder. You can make your own cable with just a Xsonic pigtail cable, but the box is easier to use even though its costs an arm and leg.

airmar-xsonic-chirp-transducer-adapter-box-14.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: javierlopez123
Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat Name
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
is there a performance difference between the thru hull flush, thru hull with fairing block, and transom mount?

Upvote 0

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat Name
1 tin 1 glass
Transom mount will pick up the most noise because it’s mounted where there is a fair amount of turbulence. Thru hull flush mount will do better, but fairing block mounted is best because it gets the ducer into the cleanest water. Of course all relative to the quality of the installation.

Upvote 0