Captain Amazing

Floppy Fish
Jun 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Devin
Boat
I wish..
Fished Misson Bay in back of the hyatt, by the loading dock, off the shore the past few days. Fished from about 6am to 7:30 and caught a baby bass and what I bieleved to be a juvinile bonito about 10" long it was fairly big and put up a nice little fight on my little bay setup. I didnt snag a pic it broke off at the rocks. Then went today right before sundown and caught a baby calico. All were caught on a 3.5" redrum big hammer swim bait. Thats been my only luck. I was wondering if theres anything else I could be doing to get the biggins! Im just casting it out and letting it sink a bit then alternating fast and slow retrieve. Any advice will be used thanks a lot.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

Upvote 0

OmanGT

Apr 11, 2010
Muscat
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Cape North 43 Sailboat
Bump

Somebody help out this young fisherman.

Most important part is keep trying. You may also want to talk to the guys at your local tackle shop.

Good luck

Reactions: BurningHeart
Upvote 0

OmanGT

Apr 11, 2010
Muscat
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Cape North 43 Sailboat
Bump

Somebody help out this young fisherman.

Most important part is keep trying. You may also want to talk to the guys at your local tackle shop.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
#1 thing that will help you in MB is a float tube.

Reactions: Captain Amazing
Upvote 0

InRodWeTrust

Too blessed 2 be stressed
Mar 8, 2013
San Diego
Name
Wes
Boat
Inflatable
Variety helps. Use bigger swimbaits, different colors, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, flukes, etc..
If no float tube, rent a skiff and and fish in between fiesta island and sea world, under the bridge and against the bridge supports, main channel along the edges of eel grass beds.
And most importantly don't give up. MB had BIG spotties and butts!

Upvote 0

Captain Amazing

Floppy Fish
Jun 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Devin
Boat
I wish..
Variety helps. Use bigger swimbaits, different colors, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, flukes, etc..
If no float tube, rent a skiff and and fish in between fiesta island and sea world, under the bridge and against the bridge supports, main channel along the edges of eel grass beds.
And most importantly don't give up. MB had BIG spotties and butts!
Just picked up some bigger swimmies. Gonna take em out today! Guy at the tackle shop said that bigger fish will still hit the smaller baits but it doesnt hurt to try. Thanks man!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Try different spots around the area. Move around they are out there. Pay special attention to the tides. Mission bay goes off with a switch and you be catching everything and then the tide moves and you won't catch anything. Also try a small rapala in anchovy or throw a crocodile . Keep at it they will bite!

Upvote 0

scoop

100 Ton Captain
May 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Copper
Boat
Mako 184cc
Fished Misson Bay in back of the hyatt, by the loading dock, off the shore the past few days. Fished from about 6am to 7:30 and caught a baby bass and what I bieleved to be a juvinile bonito about 10" long it was fairly big and put up a nice little fight on my little bay setup. I didnt snag a pic it broke off at the rocks. Then went today right before sundown and caught a baby calico. All were caught on a 3.5" redrum big hammer swim bait. Thats been my only luck. I was wondering if theres anything else I could be doing to get the biggins! Im just casting it out and letting it sink a bit then alternating fast and slow retrieve. Any advice will be used thanks a lot.

View attachment 534831

View attachment 534832
Throw a 1/2 oz crocodile and look for spots of birds...especially in the evenings. Bonito have been pushing bait every eve in mission bay and have been destroying anything shiny in front of them.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

craz_yPANDA

Jul 27, 2012
Westminster, CA, USA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Whatever Tickles Your Pickle
I fished there a week ago. I think I fished the west side???? I was fishing on the sand with a 3 in swimbait. The Color : http://www.swimbait.com/bighammer/hps50015.htm
Other than that, as soon as I casted it out, I retrieved it at a medium speed so that it did not get stuck in eel grass. (Do not give it time to sink)
I caught 3 spotties in an hour by working up and down the shore. Good luck out there!

Upvote 0

Enfuego

Your favorite Realtor
Jun 3, 2004
Rancho San Diego
www.CalRealtySD.com
Name
Yusef
Boat
None
Play the tide. You want to fish when there is a good tide swing. It changes everything in the bay.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Just picked up some bigger swimmies. Gonna take em out today! Guy at the tackle shop said that bigger fish will still hit the smaller baits but it doesnt hurt to try. Thanks man!

PM I'll share some Mission Bay shore spots and what I use

Upvote 0

Captain Amazing

Floppy Fish
Jun 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Devin
Boat
I wish..
Play the tide. You want to fish when there is a good tide swing. It changes everything in the bay.
When I usually fish it takes my bait all the way to the side going inward to the bay. Im guessing thats an incomeing tide and thats what I should be fishing? More baitfish?

Upvote 0

tunakid4321

May 17, 2004
Malibu/San Diego/Boise
Name
Travis
Boat
None
Pay attention to the tides

Upvote 0

Captain Amazing

Floppy Fish
Jun 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Devin
Boat
I wish..
I apreciate everyones info! Especialy @peteking and @titos334 they were really spot on with the bass info. Fished the west side today and caught 3 bay bass within like 10 mins then had to pack up and go home cause the bastards destroyed my swimmie and wouldn't bite on any other color. I was getting ready to give up! Thanks guys!

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

Upvote 0

ozzone

Aug 1, 2013
Harbor City Ca
Name
Adam
Boat
---------
They were chewin that color cause it almost looks like the ghost shrimp in those holes..
Get a shrimp pump get those shrimp and you will be golden Dont get me wrong fishing the plastic is fun but if you splitshot a ghost shrimp your gonna get everything around there. ITS HARBOUR CANDY..

Upvote 0