Offshore Mission Belle offshore - Sept 4th - One stop shop

Fedge101

• Jul 7, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    J
    Boat Name
    NA
    I booked a full day charter for this date (my birthday) back in April. We had the option to go Coronados or offshore.
    I've fished with Steve numerous time on open party trips to the islands and always enjoy fishing with him. Great captain and just a personable, nice guy. I've fished this boat with 20 up to 40ish and feel 20 is the prefect number so we limited the trip to 20 people (most experienced anglers but a few friends and family that were relatively new to offshore fishing) and the week before decided to go offshore and figured we'd get into the dorado madness and maybe a few tuna or yellowtail. Upon check-in I asked Steve if we'd be fishing US waters or South - he said South is where they got some tuna the day before so we picked up permits and went.
    Left the dock at 6am, picked up bait and headed south. Weather was off - South wind and choppy. We headed southwest of the islands, stopped on a few sonar marks but only small schools that didn't want anything. We saw a few paddies but they were dry. By lunchtime we didn't have a bite and a few guys were getting anxious. A few of us reminded them that it only takes one stop to make a trip.
    Steve gets on the speaker and says we're going to move further south and there were reports of some biting fish. Us, the San Diego and the Point Loma were all bee-lining in parallel to the south. It's 1:30 pm and we start to see some of the long range boats drifting (see Tautog_17's Searcher report) and it wasn't long until we made a sharp turn and over the loudspeaker we her, "Standby... START THROWING SOME, THROW IT GOOD!"
    It was game on! Boils and jumping tuna everywhere! A couple of guys dropped baits (probably a little too early from excitement) and were bit. I grabbed my 30lb setup with a #2 mutu circle hook, waited for the boat to settle into the slide, found a good bait and within 15 seconds It was bit! Brought in a 28lb yellowfin for my first birthday fish! Tied on another bait, and 30 seconds later a 30lb bluefin was peeling drag. One more after that and I had another Yellowfin.
    We stayed on that drift for 2.5 hours (mind you this was a full day trip and we were about 40 miles south!) with 3-6 going at all times. Perfect size, with the perfect amount of people. I hooked and handed 4 more fish to people who hadn't got one yet, Steve and the crew were hooking and handing and we ended up with boat limits of bluefin and 5 yellowfin - all in the 25-40 lb range. The other highlight was my son and nephew both getting their first bluefin (yes they ate the heart!)
    On the way back everyone was all smiles and high fives! We hadn't even noticed the weather had layed down (biting fish will do that) and it was flat calm. We got back to the dock at 8pm. Epic trip with a great captain and crew!

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    I booked a full day charter for this date (my birthday) back in April. We had the option to go Coronados or offshore.
    I've fished with Steve numerous time on open party trips to the islands and always enjoy fishing with him. Great captain and just a personable, nice guy. I've fished this boat with 20 up to 40ish and feel 20 is the prefect number so we limited the trip to 20 people (most experienced anglers but a few friends and family that were relatively new to offshore fishing) and the week before decided to go offshore and figured we'd get into the dorado madness and maybe a few tuna or yellowtail. Upon check-in I asked Steve if we'd be fishing US waters or South - he said South is where they got some tuna the day before so we picked up permits and went.
    Left the dock at 6am, picked up bait and headed south. Weather was off - South wind and choppy. We headed southwest of the islands, stopped on a few sonar marks but only small schools that didn't want anything. We saw a few paddies but they were dry. By lunchtime we didn't have a bite and a few guys were getting anxious. A few of us reminded them that it only takes one stop to make a trip.
    Steve gets on the speaker and says we're going to move further south and there were reports of some biting fish. Us, the San Diego and the Point Loma were all bee-lining in parallel to the south. It's 1:30 pm and we start to see some of the long range boats drifting (see Tautog_17's Searcher report) and it wasn't long until we made a sharp turn and over the loudspeaker we her, "Standby... START THROWING SOME, THROW IT GOOD!"
    It was game on! Boils and jumping tuna everywhere! A couple of guys dropped baits (probably a little too early from excitement) and were bit. I grabbed my 30lb setup with a #2 mutu circle hook, waited for the boat to settle into the slide, found a good bait and within 15 seconds It was bit! Brought in a 28lb yellowfin for my first birthday fish! Tied on another bait, and 30 seconds later a 30lb bluefin was peeling drag. One more after that and I had another Yellowfin.
    We stayed on that drift for 2.5 hours (mind you this was a full day trip and we were about 40 miles south!) with 3-6 going at all times. Perfect size, with the perfect amount of people. I hooked and handed 4 more fish to people who hadn't got one yet, Steve and the crew were hooking and handing and we ended up with boat limits of bluefin and 5 yellowfin - all in the 25-40 lb range. The other highlight was my son and nephew both getting their first bluefin (yes they ate the heart!)
    On the way back everyone was all smiles and high fives! We hadn't even noticed the weather had layed down (biting fish will do that) and it was flat calm. We got back to the dock at 8pm. Epic trip with a great captain and crew!

View attachment 1421592

View attachment 1421593

View attachment 1421594

View attachment 1421595
    on A Full day Trip ,Epick

Reactions: Fedge101
    Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat Name
    23' Center Console
    what a birthday!! Congrats

Reactions: Fedge101
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat Name
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Boom! :appl:
    :food-smil

Upvote 0

1toughfish

Almost A Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    San Francisco/Los Angeles
    Name
    Young
    Boat Name
    none
    The Belle is the boat that my buddies always charter! Great operation and crew, Steve is an amazing fisherman too. I even drive down from San Francisco to go on full day trips with them because I know it'll be a good time! Nice report and nice birthday bite

Upvote 0