Mission Belle/Coronados 5/15

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Lake, May 16, 2019.

1. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Knowing for a few weeks I'd have a shot to get out yesterday I was somewhat happy to see the MB score limits of yellow 2 days in a row. It was also concerning since that meant we'd have a full load. Went out with about 35 anglers, hearing about the previous day's early limits and shooting out on a bluefin hunt. Got to the islands and searched for a good hour plus before seeing anything to stop on. The deckhands said it was a good flyline and surface iron bite with not so much on the yo yo, so I switched my yo yo rig out to another bait outfit. First stop got a handful of fish on surface irons and Capt Steve said the yo yo should be good. There wasn't much current so the fish didn't really show that well. Re-rigged my yo yo setup and was able to score a couple of quick ones on the next couple of stops. By noon we only had just over 20 yellows, but with a couple in the bag the pressure was off me. As the conditions improved the fish started acting better and we had a few good stops. I hung a few more but they came unbuttoned. We hit around 70 fish and I was till stuck at 2, but I had tried dedicating more time to the surface iron with no luck. The better long rodders started putting the wood to them, while showing me I'm not as good as I thought. Went back to the yo yo and got another, then decided to fish bait. We got on a couple of very good schools, the first I hooked fish on bait. Frustrating as the hook pulled on 3 and fluoro broke on the 4th, but encouraging as I was getting bit well. I went up one size on the hook- 1/0 to 2/0-and was able to get 2 more fish to finish my limit, although I did pull another hook and had another break off. Quite good fishing to get bit that well. I was fishing 20 with fluoro and most guys were going a bit heavier so that probably helped. I racked my rods and started tearing stuff down so I could stay out of the way of guys still trying to get some. One newbie was frustrated going fishless all day, finally hooked up but was taken by a sea lion. After quite a long battle he got his fish with only minor superficial scrapes. He then proceeded to nail 4 fish on the next school to finish his limit. The sea lions were pretty ravenous with quite a few guys reeling up heads only after their encounters. Steve stayed out late and then slow putted in to give the crew time to clean fish. We ended with 127 fish for 37 guys. A very very good day. A few 6-7 pound fish, with most running 10-around 16 or so.

I love the Mission Belle. Steve is king of the Coronados and the crew was extremely helpful. I really enjoyed fishing with them again. Karen in the galley is great. Just a tremendous operation. Quite a few regulars on the boat which seems to have an unofficial "no Knuckleheads" policy. Definitely my first choice for San Diego all day trips. I really can't believe how good the fishing has been at the islands this year. I find it funny that a Catalina boat scores good yellows one day then runs with 90 passengers the next. The MB maxes at 42. I really enjoy their attitude. On the seminar on the way out Eugene tells everybody they're a yellowtail boat. They won't change up and fish rockfish if it's slow. That's totally my preference.

A88A050D-BE74-43CC-80A1-1873020C8FBB.jpeg 2DEE7EBD-619C-46D8-9C40-BCA00FEFF256.jpeg 07C7DCBD-6E2F-45D8-B1A3-7A703FDF8FCC.jpeg ED702F90-40E9-4B37-B8DD-F6662B73D823.jpeg 1D4FD015-89E6-432D-BF58-0CD53059F46D.jpeg

2. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    if you are pulling that many hooks its a sign.....nice report though

I used to love fishing the islands on that boat when the chargers were worth watching...stood at the rail in just the right spot fishing rockfish and watching the game on in the galley at the same time.

3. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    You gotta sacrifice some of the bait fish catch in order to figure out the surface iron game Doc...only way your skill set will improve on that. That is a great boat and Capt. I used to fish it all the time in my youth when it was out of Seaforth...

calicoi likes this.
  4. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I agree with the comment about pulling too many hooks. I couldn't figure it out and it's something I've not had an issue with in the past.
    I also agree with you Bill that I need to dedicate more to the surface iron. It's just a fairly small bow area on this boat and there was a crowd of people up there doing anything from surface iron to dropper looping to bait and yo yo fishing, as well as a couple of guys that would do their rigging there.

5. Jlmuncie

Jlmuncie Newbie

Name:
    Joshua
    Boat:
    At the landing
    Does the MB have RSW or a refrigerated hold?

6. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    I assume you needed a passport for this trip?

7. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Yes. They bleed every fish and quickly get them in the RSW. The pictures of fish in sacks was from when they pulled the fish out to sort and clean.
    Yes you do.

8. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    The fish are just big enough where you can put a lot of pressure but not big enough to take that much pressure. That was my take from yesterday where i pulled a couple hooks as well before backing off a little. Private boat.

9. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice looking potato sacks!

10. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    That's a Great Honest Report, Thanks!

spearodafish likes this.
  11. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Yeah, I get it but much like hitting in baseball, you gotta learn to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. Most of the bows are gonna be cramped with people that wanna throw the iron but you work with them and make your cast, then slid over and let the next guy do his, etc. It's the only way you are going to get better, especially if they are responding well to the plug. Work your weaknesses. Bait fishing is easy in comparison so many people cop out and go back to what they feel comfy with. Plus you have that juicy new CE900 Del Mar that is wanting to do work..!!! :)
    I will throw some jigs for ya in 2 weeks when I am down in BoLA. We smash the hell out of them down there on the plug...

Shon likes this.
  12. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  13. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat: