PENN

ExMNFisher

Jul 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Kyle
Boat
None
Went out on the Belle Sunday. Great crew, kind of a slow day, 3 bluefin were caught around 60 pounds. Two were on jigs (knife and coltsnipers) and one on sinker rig. I was told fish were being caught on other boats with the knife jig.

I am a man of little words here, but hope this may help. Crew recommended having a 80/100 setup, I fished 80 all day (no luck). Don’t come undergunned, so many people came with medium heavy 100 dollar spinning reels. This is fine for the yellowtail out on the paddies, but I do not believe it would fair well with a big BFT.

Great boat, look forward to riding it again. Just wasn’t my day that day, still had a blast.

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Please tell me someone at least hooked up on one of the bass spinning setups.....just for everyone's entertainment for about 20 seconds.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Went out on the Belle Sunday. Great crew, kind of a slow day, 3 bluefin were caught around 60 pounds. Two were on jigs (knife and coltsnipers) and one on sinker rig. I was told fish were being caught on other boats with the knife jig.

I am a man of little words here, but hope this may help. Crew recommended having a 80/100 setup, I fished 80 all day (no luck). Don’t come undergunned, so many people came with medium heavy 100 dollar spinning reels. This is fine for the yellowtail out on the paddies, but I do not believe it would fair well with a big BFT.

Great boat, look forward to riding it again. Just wasn’t my day that day, still had a blast.
When you say "knife jig", you do mean long thin jigs, or are you referring to the short, fat slow pitch jigs like the Shimano Flat Falls?

Upvote 0

Yong Yong

May 25, 2015
Name
Ron Hendley
Boat
Triumph 195 CC - "Yong Yong"

An ex Rocker (rock band member) brought a Shimano 12000D and caught a BFT well over 125 lbs on the Pacifica this weekend. It was absulutely awesome watching him get worked.

Reactions: kevina

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    So you're saying I should not bring my lucky Hello Kitty spin caster? Darn the bad luck....
    :D

Reactions: ExMNFisher
    Upvote 0