Mission beach, La Jolla 12-20

PENN
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Launched from mission bay at 5:45. Picked up a nice 1/2 scoop of great looking sardines. We strictly wanted to target yellowtail. Ran in on the beach outside OB and made about 7 or 8 mackerel. We worked our way north away from the fleet lots of bait dolphins birds but we didn’t see any yellows. Fished dropper loop mackerel on good meter marks. No love, we tried it all from yo-yo jigs to slow trolling mackerel. We fished from 300 feet of water down to 80 feet managed a few calico bass along the way. Ran up down in out from cristal pear to the north end of La Jolla. My buddy did get a good bite on a medium sized mackerel slow trolling tight to the kelp with a rubber banded 2 oz torpedo weight. Not sure what he hooked his rod was in the holder with the clicker on with a light drag while he fished the bow with a jig. Next thing you know his real was screaming maybe yellow maybe halibut or sea bass not sure. My buddy got to the Rod and came tight for about 15 seconds before coming unbuttoned. Big head shakes for a moment. We worked hard until about 1:30 before heading in. Didn’t end up with any yellows but it was a beautiful day on the water nice sunny fairly flat calm day. Did anyone else fish Up there today? I’m curious to how the rest of the fleet did. Didn’t hear much on the radio besides good rock fishing.

Upvote 0

Boot-03

Sep 2, 2020
Beer
Name
Oh-Three
Boat
N/A
Similar report as you, except we didn't even get bit! Saw the birds/boats and dolphin off Crystal pier in about 100’ of water but nothing else to report! Seas were calm and weather was amazing! The most activity we heard was numerous radio checks and an abnormal amount of responses to everyone of them! That told me that everyone was seeing similar results as we were!

Upvote 0

John56434

Idk what to name dis
Aug 1, 2019
West side
Name
John
Boat
Fishing boat
Same up north 15 miles south of dana point. A whole lotta jack smelt on sibiki and 2 jumbo mackeral on small weedless swimbait and 1 grumpy sand bass
20201220_164411.jpg

Upvote 0