Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Well my "new to me" Grady Offshore 240 is finally ready. She is currently on the hard at Driscoll's Mission Bay. My plan has been to put it in the water tomorrow and motor it to my slip at Chula Vista. In another thread there is some apprehension being expressed about the conditions tomorrow. The inlet at Mission Bay looks pretty narrow on satellite. I think once I get out I'll be fine but might it be tricky/ ill advised to do this tomorrow? FWIW I have a good deal of boating experience but NONE in local waters, this is my first boat here. In the Caribbean we have nasty wind and wind driven waves but no swell, so it's new to me. As always, TIA for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

waynesworld

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 24, 2006
Escondido
Name
Wayne
Boat
Sold it -need a ride
Check the reports -There is a large swell running .I heard that Oceanside was closed for a while today

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
The entrance is plenty big for your boat.Only issues there are outgoing or low tide and a large swell.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
If there is any ?Just wait.
The very calm MB channel is the most dangerous inlet in SD County one or two tides every couple years. It just take the right conditions.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Wind variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Swell W 3 to 6 ft at 16 seconds.

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
From the weather forecast it doesn't sound bad at all. Typically, if the interval is at least double the wave height, I'm a go. I'd take 6-8 foot sell at 18-20second interval over 3-4 foot at 5 seconds any day. I go out of mission bay a lot and for whatever reason (sandbar maybe) it likes to jack up right at the inlet. I have a boat your size, I recommend going straight into it or at a slight angle for a little while after you leave the harbor, maybe a half mile or so at least, before you make your turn. It usually is rough right at that inlet but lays down just outside of it.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic (sold) Pursuit 2350 FreeSwimmer
For comparison.......on what not to do or when NOT to go.........

This was last Wednesday at Santa Cruz harbor entrance.......

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
That SC footage was really ugly. I lived up there for a couple years and every so often that was what it was.

Good time for some bar crossing reminders if you find yourself there. Don't ever slow down and try to surf a wave on a bar. Wear the kill switch lanyard. Come in hot and chase a wave from behind. Start way back and pick your wave and stick to it. Stay on the backside until the whitewater's less than half the height of your freeboard. You'll have twice as much water under the boat and you won't get swapped and dropped.

None of that applies if you've got a big RIB with more horsepower than God and you're just having a good time but for the rest of us...arrive alive.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

MoMo Fish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 27, 2010
Ventura County
Name
Brooklyn!
Sunday was nasty trying to get in or out of MB.. Waves breaking on both sides and at times all the way across!

It required patience and timing... That got our hearts pumping to say the least. Never experienced that in MB before. Easily 10-15 foot swells

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
That video posted above really blows my mind. Not trying to bust anyones balls, but damn man, wasn't the guy who was running the boat paying attention??? That whole thing could have been easily avoided with some simple and alert boat handling. When shit is breaking like that, ya gotta pay real close attention to the swells coming at you from your stern or whatever end of the boat is facing them, and until you are well safe within the channel.

Wow...... that could have ended up very very bad for the guy who went overboard, or worse yet, for all who were aboard that vessel. Glad to hear that hopefully nobody got hurt through all of that!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0