mission bay fines

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by yakyak2010, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Bane1

Bane1 50T Captain

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    32' Luhrs 'Mako-Wish'
    Your fine is actually lower than I would have guessed. A few years back, brother caught a vermilion out of season. It was bleeding out of the gills, so knowing it was going to die, he kept it. Got caught and got a ticket for $850. He went to court to try and plea... judge said $850.

You can try to plea your case, but I would just say pay it and strike it up to a lesson learned.

2. Scotto

Scotto Newbie

Name:
    Scotto
    Boat:
    28' Center Console
    I was in court and saw a guy with 2 short bugs plea bargain with help from the public defender. They did not set a future date to fight it where the officer shows up and brings the evidence etc. Judge lowered it from 500$ to "fishing without a license" which was 250$. Simple. Took 20 seconds in front of the judge. It was entertaining watching all the cases. One guy got driving while smoking a joint. He paid 50$ and was stoned off his rocker in there.

3. ftsleepad

ftsleepad Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Nada
    LOL...tasty tasty...spotted...bay...bass...

You can ask the judge for community service and explain that you understand the error of your ways. Since you are retired, doing some community service doesnt hurt....Heal the Bay's Coastal Cleanup is this weekend. I'd prefer to do community service over paying a fine.

4. geomike

geomike Mouth Breather

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    broken
  5. perk57

perk57 Newbie

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24.sea pro,jesse bullet
    Yeah Right >...that what she said

6. Cheney

Cheney SkateAndDestroy

Name:
    Cheney
    Boat:
    none
    I remember that. you were walking around with your hands grasping your ankles for 3 months

7. phingst

phingst Newbie

Name:
    Code seven
    Boat:
    Trophy 19ft
    Remember 12 Inches

8. paddyhunter

paddyhunter 24' Fish Nautique

Name:
    Charles Merken
    Boat:
    24' Fish Nautique
    1/4" REALLY!!! come on DFG use some discretion, what happened with these wantabe cops using better judgement....this state is anti fishing and anti hunting, just waiting to see what happens with that bill in front of our Governor to outlaw all hunting in Ca. What's next?...

9. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"

My close friend is a COP and he told me the State is hurting big time for $$$ so warnings are really not an Option these days! With all the budget cuts the depts need to source their own funds or start more layoffs.

:finger::finger::finger:

10. chevydeuce

chevydeuce Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Boat:
    14' MirroCraft

So what is an acceptable "fudge" factor? Should the warden overlook a 1/4" short, but ticket a 3/8" short? 1/2"? 15/16"? Or should he just make it an even 1"? Or maybe just tell the offender to, pretty please and pinky swear not to do it again? And if somebody only has a couple of fish over the limit, he should let him slide THIS time, but by gosh, but if next time I catch you with three over, well then there's going to be some serious admonishing going on....It sucks the OP got the ticket...but he earned it, plain and simple, either by ignoring the regulation or not knowing it. And the fines are high to at least offer an appearance of deterrence...it didn't deter the guy, and he got smacked...Hopefully, next time he'll make a better choice. As I said earlier in the thread, gut hooked or not, if its that close to being legal/illegal, toss it back and you have no issues when Mr. DFG comes a calling...at worst it dies and contributes to the circle of life and at best, it recovers and lives awhile longer for somebody to LEGALLY take....

11. paddyhunter

Name:
    Charles Merken
    Boat:
    24' Fish Nautique
    I was a LA County Sheriff's deputy and then a detective for over 16 years, with any misdemeanor it's up to the officer to make a discretionary call. If it was a 1/4" to short just like 2 miles over the speed limit it's a call. Should our states need for funding dictate that every single time a ticket is warranted under the letter of the law it's issued..come on...if it was a 1/4" to short he should have gotten a pass...most of these DFG guys are wantabe cops that could not pass the physical, mental, background or oral...this ticket, if it was a 1/4" is BS...

Of course there is a limit 10 miles over 1" over but a 1/4"

12. chevydeuce

chevydeuce Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Boat:
    14' MirroCraft

So, every person you ever stopped for speeding that was going less than 10mph over got a pass? Or did you just ignore them completely and look for those going 10mph over? Or how about DUI stops? If the person blew a .08 on your PAS, but seemed to be walking and talking straight, you sent them on their way? It's a very fuzzy and squiggly line.....sometimes it's crossed, sometimes it's not...

my only point is, the OP got himself into the jam by keeping a borderline fish to begin with...I'm sure it wasn't malicious on his part and he probably thought he was doing the right thing, but when it's that close, why take the chance?

13. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E

Be responsible and PAY your fellow Contemporary fines! He's in need! I like this one! :finger::shithappens:

14. paddyhunter

Name:
    Charles Merken
    Boat:
    24' Fish Nautique
    Ok..point well taken...I can agree with that....I always go over when measuring, NEVER under, don't need or want the hassle when I get back to the dock or if I am boarded...All I was saying is we don't fish commercially. What we take out of the ocean is minuscule to the long-liners and commercial vessels operating off our coast and if it was a 1/4" was it really necessary to cite him..

15. fishincrave

fishincrave Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    none
    To bad about your fine you thought the fish was legal but the warden thought otherwise ..
    If you go to court just plead no contest and admit you were wrong most likely they will give you a year to pay the fine or do community service ,
    since your retired you should do the community service ...

Lesson learned next time make sure it's more then a legal fish....

Sean

16. LLthesign

LLthesign Triple G

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    17' Proline CC
    I'm glad you like something other than exclamation points.

17. mainline23

mainline23 Member

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    -
    Totally sucks- but when you fish you must obide by the laws. 1/4" short is the same as 1" short. Plain and simple; the fish was undersized and the penalty is a ticket. As a general rule of thumb if it is close, let it go. Gut hooked, butt hooked, or eye hooked let them swim or float. Its shitty, but part of the game. BTW spotties taste like shit....

18. phingst

phingst Newbie

Name:
    Code seven
    Boat:
    Trophy 19ft
    My 9 yearold son knows the legal length requirment for most fish so should you.

19. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS

20. Tehburninator

Tehburninator pro-noob

Name:
    Hien Pham
    Boat:
    1 in wonder 10 ft tamarack 120 kayak
    what a thread! good read at work... but anyways... just wanted to tell some dfg stories...

last year when i started fishing... i didnt know a bass from a croaker...... (i dont eat fish either, everything i keep is eaten however by the bosslady's parents) soooooo. i had a few croakers.. and a sargo.... didnt know what it was, was stopped by dfg and asked to check my catch... he didnt measure because i guess they seemed ok?

well same spot a few months later, dfg stopped me again... this time i had a calico which i remember as being on the smallish size.... i didnt know exact sizes then but i had an idea... i also had no idea what it was... so when he looked, i asked .... wtf is that thing?!?!?!? he told me thats a calico.... should be 12 inches.... i said oh... never seen one before... tipped his hat and took off.... i know that fish wasnt 12 inches..... but i was not measured or cited.... at any rate i dumped the feesh i had because i didnt want the trouble to taking them home with me..

december last year, was stopped on dog beach's jetty for license checking... was told by this officer that after the fence requires a license, but before it was free since it's public... i said great! i'll take a buddy fishing.... welll... recently i offered the knowledge to a buddy... and sure enough he took his dad and brother to go fish there......... and they got cited for fishing without a license.... 1100 later.... i find out that info that dfg warden gave is incorrect.....

moral of the stories?

dfg wardens are people..... and people make mistakes.... people each have different points of views... people can be dicks.... yada yada yada......

it's hard to say that "dfg" is unfair... its just luck of the draw..... i was fortunate to run into some nice dfg wardens... one even hooked me up with the current handbook and gave me some pointers... others will be dicks and bother you regardless....

so wear a smile always, at least the warden will be pissed for not being able to ruin your day

keep what you need, and dont be cradle robbers

and wet lines to all