Missing fish in Coral Sea

mchow10656

Dec 10, 2013
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
none
After a good fishing trip in Sea Landing, Coral Sea, my friend discovered some of his catch were swapped.
Even he was watching the deckhands cleaned and bagged his fish, he got to his truck. He dumped his fish in the cooler and found out his gunny sack the plastic zip tie was already cut. He caught four sheephead and five whitefish. Someone swapped his two sheephead with two whitefish. Who else would do that. My last trip in that boat they stole all my big reds. Another angler also missing his big chuckle head that same trip. Anyone else have experienced these after the trip with Coral Sea? What can be done to stop this nonsense?

Reactions: Chango3 and dsl

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
Interesting, there was a similar post a while back (found it!)-

Check out the post at the link below and read down a little (post #8+) - That was Dec and they didn't name the boat. Makes me think somethings fishy and not in a good way.

Post on Santa Barbara fishing

Upvote 0

atun53

Almost A Member
Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
Had the same thing happen on the Stardust several years ago. Caught some really nice fish out at 12 mile and got home to the smallest filets. My wife asked what happened to the fish in the pics. Left a message for Jason and never heard back.

Had folks try and trade fish out of my bag on the Aloha Spirit right before Shawn bought it. Honeycombs for reds 🤬

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    After a good fishing trip in Sea Landing, Coral Sea, my friend discovered some of his catch were swapped.
    Even he was watching the deckhands cleaned and bagged his fish, he got to his truck. He dumped his fish in the cooler and found out his gunny sack the plastic zip tie was already cut. He caught four sheephead and five whitefish. Someone swapped his two sheephead with two whitefish. Who else would do that. My last trip in that boat they stole all my big reds. Another angler also missing his big chuckle head that same trip. Anyone else have experienced these after the trip with Coral Sea? What can be done to stop this nonsense?
    Up North we bring a Burlap Bag, and sack our own. One time Albacore fishing the Deckhand kept the bellies and collars while wacking our fish. I'm sure he would have given them up, if we asked for them, now knowing there value!

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    That sucks, fished that boat many times and never had anything like that happen. Get some colored zip ties and zip tie each fish in the mouth.
    Could it be the deckhand put them in the wrong sack when you caught them? Must be confusing sacking them when there's a bunch laying on the deck.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    My FIL had the same thing a trip or two back on the Stardust. My best advice is to not take your eyes off your sack (surrrrsly, no puns this time).

Be preadvised. Self bagging is not allowed. Make sure your eyes follow commodity fish into your bag. Hang near your bag during moves. Know that the crew observes boat limits, and crew bags are on the starboard side of the tank.

FIL swears they diverted a nice fish or two to the crew bags.

I like wise advise you be present if you get them filleted, and maybe hold your fillet bag after they're done.

It is the crew. They have fish sacks(Stardust) If it happens to you, complain like hell to the Captain. If not, owner. If not, landing mgmt. If finally no results, BD blowout.

It's not confusing. It's a customer service industry. That's their job.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard
    I think this boat spreads out the fish, you catch fish for the boat, not for your bag. Your catch goes towards everyone’s limit so everyone has fish to bring home. Not 100% if this is what they always do but definitely the case when I went a few times awhile back.
    Not a fan of the Sea Landing fishing boats.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of scumbags that are out to steal. when they can.
    Fish and gear on some boats when they see the chance.
    Hence one reason of many why I have a little boat.
    My own skipper, galley and deckhand. ME.
    But my fish counts really suck.

Sad Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    I fished Stardust yesterday for the first time. Got my limit but only found 16 filets in my bag afterwards.

Do the math.

Not cool.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I fished Stardust yesterday for the first time. Got my limit but only found 16 filets in my bag afterwards.

Do the math.

Not cool.
    Sounds like some shenanigans! Might be time to switch boats!

Upvote 0

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
    Ventura
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    None
    There are plenty of great boats in Channel Islands and Ventura Harbor to deal with that kind of bullshit.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"

Do the math.

Not cool.

I understand.

Despite everything, the quality of the fish out of SB is really tough to rival.

Just make sure that quality gets to your sack and fillet bag.

We'll still fish the Stardust. Just know the drill. Maybe bring your own zip ties.

You're fishing for personal limits. Boat limits are secondary, and should be culled to your prerogative.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I understand.

Despite everything, the quality of the fish out of SB is really tough to rival.

Just make sure that quality gets to your sack and fillet bag.

We'll still fish the Stardust. Just know the drill. Maybe bring your own zip ties.

You're fishing for personal limits. Boat limits are secondary, and should be culled to your prerogative.
    Come up North, you have your own bag, then you watch the deckhand put your filets in the bag,

Reactions: Gordon Freeman
    Upvote 0