Missed Boat .? Diffrent landing policies over missed trips? Credit? Total loss?

idrmname

Apr 27, 2021
Riv CA
Name
YAT
Boat
None
Just missed my boat out Of H&M Landing. WHats the normal procedure? Book last minute, because of availability. Try to fill in spots. Everyone else that always says they wants to go flakes on me, ends up as last minute solo trip! HAppened to me last week, they were happy to put me on another boat for a half day so i wouldnt lose my $. HAd to drive all the way out there again but i didnt lose my $. Today I called right away and tried to have them put me on a overnight(pay the diffrence $90). I want to go fishing today! THey refused, even though there was 2 overnight boats w spots later today. Instead wait for their email.... ill get %50 off.
Still waiting on there email. Why wont they just let me go on another boat, ill pay the diffrence? Geared up readyto go .Instead %50 of what i paid , plus another 3/4 tank of gas, and another day lost! Anyone had the same thing happen? How did the landing accommodate you? Sucks! been going through H&M at least once a month for the past 3 months. Good reviews/ tips to the crews. Feels like they all of a sudden dont know/ appreciate your business! Especially for someone who goes broke, out of there way to patronize a particular landing! Maybe its time to try out some other landings? got up early , drove out there, payed, They cant get me on the boat, because he already closed it out......B.S. Wait for email....only %50. Could have put me on an overnight and got $100 more(price difference) and wed both be happy. Instead they take half what i paid and leave me high and dry, until another day! Seems like a policy that varies? Depends on who you talk to?

Last edited:

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 28, 2007
OC
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
Why didn’t you call the landing and let them know you’re running late? Heck why didn’t you get to the landing early knowing you were booked for a trip and knowing how crazy traffic on the freeway can get let alone the cluster at the landing parking you fucked up man up and own it don’t point fingers and cry at the landing

fishnfoool

May 17, 2013
long beach
Name
Tony Nguyen
Boat
fishkillr
In my experience , I always get credit. It's because I cancel early and they can fill my spot. You're not getting anything because you cancelled beyond last minute. Boat can't get someone to cover your full fare.

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
That is standard policy, miss the boat, forfeit your deposit (50%), now sometimes if there are trips leaving with open spots they will let you roll it over, but that would be at their discretion and convince, most boats are independently owned separate from the landing so it’s not always that simple. Best thing to do is call the landing if your running late, if they have standby people that fill your spot you should get your deposit back, just showing up late and expecting something different than the posted policy is on you.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
Upvote 0

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
Jun 14, 2009
Flux
Name
Ted
Boat
anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
Early is on time, on time is late, and late is you just don't get to go. You don't say why you missed the boat. Most landings will be more than happy to get a phone call in enough time (traffic, car broke down, pulled a knucklehead). Most people have cell phones these days so it is easier to contact them. From Riverside it should take a good 11/2 to 2 hours to drive, if you book and don't allow enough time, it is not the landings fault (try looking in the mirror).

Welcome to BD your internet gripe session has now begun...popcorn please

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I missed the boat only one time on a 3/4 day trip. They had another 3/4 day trip leaving in the next half hour but they were doing a sanddab-only trip. No offense to sand dabbers, but lifting 2 lbs of weight 600 feet from the bottom of the ocean is not my cup of tea. We were also not rigged for sand dabbing. We turned around and went home instead.

So to answer your question, the normal procedure is to turn around and go home.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    `Pretty Standard Procedure all Landings.
    Miss the boat=lose 50% deposit. IF you'd
    called earlier they usually will hold your
    deposit to apply on another trip. Your last minute miss was your fault, not the landing.

Some miss the boat in SD just trying to find parking!
    Plan ahead. Allow more time.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Just missed my boat out Of H&M Landing. WHats the normal procedure? Book last minute, because of availability. Try to fill in spots. Everyone else that always says they wants to go flakes on me, ends up as last minute solo trip! HAppened to me last week, they were happy to put me on another boat for a half day so i wouldnt lose my $. HAd to drive all the way out there again but i didnt lose my $. Today I called right away and tried to have them put me on a overnight(pay the diffrence $90). I want to go fishing today! THey refused, even though there was 2 overnight boats w spots later today. Instead wait for their email.... ill get %50 off.
    Still waiting on there email. Why wont they just let me go on another boat, ill pay the diffrence? Geared up readyto go .Instead %50 of what i paid , plus another 3/4 tank of gas, and another day lost! Anyone had the same thing happen? How did the landing accommodate you? Sucks! been going through H&M at least once a month for the past 3 months. Good reviews/ tips to the crews. Feels like they all of a sudden dont know/ appreciate your business! Especially for someone who goes broke, out of there way to patronize a particular landing! Maybe its time to try out some other landings? got up early , drove out there, payed, They cant get me on the boat, because he already closed it out......B.S. Wait for email....only %50. Could have put me on an overnight and got $100 more(price difference) and wed both be happy. Instead they take half what i paid and leave me high and dry, until another day! Seems like a policy that varies? Depends on who you talk to?
    Sneekee?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Try another landing where if you miss the boat they'll do the same to you.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Your looking at it like you lost 50% and the boat is doing the same,they lost 50%,maybe more if you include galley and tips and the landings cut.
    Usually i also think you have to use the credit on the same boat,the landings are just booking agents,the boats for the most part are independent contractors.

Upvote 0

fried fish

Jul 5, 2016
    seal beach
    Name
    james turner
    Boat
    hydrotherpy
    the boats these days all make money. if they say they dont then why are they in business. I have friends who own them and they have money to buy $1,50000 houses the deck hands dont make the money

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I hate to chime in since I was the late idiot in question, but I was late for the afternoon half day at Redondo semi recently. Had already paid in full since bought my ticket online. Thought I had more than enough time to make it but as soon as I was over the hill I could see traffic was going to suck bad. I called them immediately to tell them there was a chance I might run a tad late. Nobody answered; left a message.

As I inched closer and things looked worse, I continued to call them periodically. Ended up being five times in all. Never answered, I left messages, they never called me back, yadda freakin yadda. Arrived there five minutes after boat had left and thought I would just hang out and go on the twilight.

Sure! Except I would have to pay full fare for that too--no refunds, not 50%, nuthin. I tried arguing, cajoling, and repeatedly pointed out that I had called multiple times with no answer and they didn't even have the got-danged courtesy to call me back. Finally, I lucked out and they relented, allowing me to apply the cost of the afternoon trip to the twilight. If I would only be so kind as to broadcast the story about cool they were on my social media. I don't have social media, except cluttering up the forums here, so maybe this will count.

So: Redondo was way cool and overlooked their no refund policy for me that day. There, I done it. But don't nobody go there expecting the same special treatment. And yes, it must be National Bitch About Shit that Doesn't Really Matter Day today because I'm feeling it haha.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Not only did you miss the boat you missed the fine print on the contract. I get it shit happens sometimes but they accommodated you once recently. Invest in a watch and pick better fishing buddies.

Reactions: AWilliams

Top or Bottom

May 1, 2020
    Long Beach
    Name
    David Juner
    Boat
    22' Striper WA
    My crystal ball says he wont be posting much more after this one LMAO. Used to fish with my old man and my older brother offshore in Jersey on his boat when I was younger and before moving to Cali. Always a 4:30am departure to get about 40 miles offshore you need that early start. I never missed a trip nor was late (maybe once but late was 15 min early).. my older brother however haha well thats a dif story. If you weren't at the slip at 4:15 he already knew it was just gonna be me and him. Doesn't matter if its blood or one of his best friends, the boat leaves when the boat leaves dude. Take your tampon out and get with the program. If not sit and complain like a little millennial bitch on the unemployment hotline. FML

Reactions: portys kid
    Upvote 0