morfius

I think, therefore I fish
Feb 23, 2006
Orange County, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
na
Haven't posted a fishing report in a loooong time, but this trip deserves one. Booked this 2-day trip back in January and convinced my buddy to do the same even though he didn't know if he could get the days off. Told him he could always cancel 30 days in advance and get his money back. Anyhow, here's the rundown.

Left the dock at 10PM with 13 other awesome guys and headed for the channel islands. Could tell it was going to be a good trip just because of the crew and the people on board. Fish counts for WSB had been so-so but I knew this boat always steps it up during their 2-day trips. And even if it wasn't meant to be, the rockfish and lingcod up there always produce.
We start fishing at gray light and at first all we get are log barracudas. Then the WSB start to show up. My buddy is one of the first to hook up. The fish takes him around the boat before coming to gaff. It's a slug 30lb fish. High fives all around and he drops in again. Not 10 minutes later and he's hooked again! This time on a 32lb fish (weighed it later that night). We fish for the next few hours for a steady bite with a really good grade of fish. Move off to do some rockfishing around mid-day. Later in the evening, we anchor up and start fishing for calicos, sheephead, and whitefish. That's when things went crazy. I had struggled all morning on the WSB, but hooked up and landed a nice legal on my bass gear. Then other people started doing the same, and before you knew it, it was WFO on the WSB. People were hooked up left and right. I would estimate that we had 10 rods bent at one point. These fish were decent grade 12-20lbs, with the occasional 25lb fish. Got our day 1 limit in 20 minutes! It was incredible how much fish there were on the deck. Left them biting and anchored up for dinner and weighing the fish for jackpot. My buddy's 32lb fish edges out a 31lb yellowtail for day 1 jackpot and he's stoked! Did I mention this is his first time on a WSB trip? Or that this is his first time ever fishing in saltwater??? Dude is ruined for life now.

IMG_8833.JPG
Fresh one!

IMG_8831.JPG
Could not wipe the smile off his face all day.

IMG_8853.JPG

Jackpot fish and his first fish of the day.

IMG_8848.JPG

Nice one for me as well.

Day 2 starts out slow. We got a few fish in the morning that were decent size, about 15lbs. Moved around and got a few more. Then around mid-day, it went wide open again! Nice grade of fish between 15-22lbs. No jackpot for him this day, but we all got our 2 day limits. Left them biting again! Went off to do some more rockfishing to finish our most excellent trip.
Can't say enough about the operation on the Mirage. Capts Ryan and Joe put us on the fish. Big shout out to the deckhands Ryan and Chad, as well as Alex for pulling double duty in the galley and on deck. They also made sure to give my friend some extra attention and coaching. We can't wait to do this again.
IMG_8846.JPG

Day 1 carnage.

IMG_8859.JPG

Plugged the hold on day 2!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Nice job and congrats to you guys , What island did you guys fish?
I fished the the Eldorado the same time frame as you guys , we went down to San Nic Island

Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
Congrats Brian- great trip!..Please send your buddy fishing with me so I can show him complete disappointment, zero fish caught, and maybe some boat motor issues, just for good measure..I'm just here to help bring him back to reality- that's all...
Talk to you soon...

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2016
Rialto
Name
Alfredo R Jimenez
Boat
noboat
Haven't posted a fishing report in a loooong time, but this trip deserves one. Booked this 2-day trip back in January and convinced my buddy to do the same even though he didn't know if he could get the days off. Told him he could always cancel a 30 days in advance and get his money back. Anyhow, here's the rundown.

Left the dock at 10PM with 13 other awesome guys and headed for the channel islands. Could tell it was going to be a good trip just because of the crew and the people on board. Fish counts for WSB had been so-so but I knew this boat always steps it up during their 2-day trips. And even if it wasn't meant to be, the rockfish and lingcod up there are always produce.
We start fishing at gray light and at first all we get are log barracudas. Then the WSB start to show up. My buddy is one of the first to hook up. The fish takes him around the boat before coming to gaff. It's a slug 30lb fish. High fives all around and he drops in again. Not 10 minutes later and he's hooked again! This time on a 32lb fish (weighed it later that night). We fish for the next few hours for a steady bite with a really good grade of fish. Move off to do some rockfishing around mid-day. Later in the evening, we anchor up and start fishing for calicos, sheephead, and whitefish. That's when things went crazy. I had struggled all morning on the WSB, but hooked up and landed a nice legal on my bass gear. Then other people started doing the same, and before you knew it, it was WFO on the WSB. People were hooked up left and right. I would estimate that we had 10 rods bent at one point. These fish were decent grade 12-20lbs, with the occasional 25lb fish. Got our day 1 limit in 20 minutes! It was incredible how much fish there were on the deck. Left them biting and anchored up for dinner and weighing the fish for jackpot. My buddy's 32lb fish edges out a 31lb yellowtail for day 1 jackpot and he's stoked! Did I mention this is his first time on a WSB trip? Or that this is his first time ever fishing in saltwater??? Dude is ruined for life now.

View attachment 939547 Fresh one!

View attachment 939546 Could not wipe the smile off his face all day.

View attachment 939534
Jackpot fish and his first fish of the day.

View attachment 939533
Nice one for me as well.

Day 2 starts out slow. We got a few fish in the morning that were decent size, about 15lbs. Moved around and got a few more. Then around mid-day, it went wide open again! Nice grade of fish between 15-22lbs. No jackpot for him this day, but we all got our 2 day limits. Left them biting again! Went off to do some more rockfishing to finish our most excellent trip.
Can't say enough about the operation on the Mirage. Capts Ryan and Joe put us on the fish. Big shout out to the deckhands Ryan and Chad, as well as Alex for pulling double duty in the galley and on deck. They also made sure to give my friend some extra attention and coaching. We can't wait to do this again.
View attachment 939532
Day 1 carnage.

View attachment 939535
Plugged the hold on day 2!

Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Yeah I agree.....your buddy is ruined for life. He is going to be chasing those fish for a long time

Congratulations on a nice trip

Thanks for sharing

Upvote 0