Bad To The Bone

Not old...Experienced
Mar 17, 2004
Escondido
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold it!
I just got home from participating in the military/veteran hunt at San Jacinto and what a great day it was. I drew reservation #4 so there was no way I was going to let it go to waste. I arrived at about 2:30am and Tom had a four big hot coffee urns and Krispy Kreme donuts ready for the hunters. How can you say no to Krispy Kreme and hot coffee at that time of the morning? Tom then told everyone they were serving Tri-Tip with plenty of side dishes for lunch so come on back at 11:30am and enjoy the feast.
My day was starting off great and it got even better when they started calling for reservation check-ins and the first three reservation numbers were no-shows. I had the pick of the ponds and Tom hooked me up with a great location. I had to slug through 120 yards of muddy bottom water to get to my island blind but it was worth the effort. I put out just eighteen decoys and waited for the horn blast at 6:03am marking legal shooting time. The horn sounded but it was so darn foggy I couldn't even see 10 yards in front of me. By 6:45 the fog lifted in my area and it was a steady pick and I had five ducks by the time I left my blind at 11:00am for lunch.
I wolfed down some delicious Tri-Tip, baked beans, potato salad and dessert then headed back to my blind and was set up and ready to go by 12:15pm. I whacked two more ducks in the next thirty minutes to fill my limit consisting of 3 shovelers, 2 gadwall, 1 pintail and 1 ruddy and was pulling my decoys at 1:15pm. What a fantastic way to end my waterfowl hunting season.

Elsa.jpg

Me and Elsa].jpg

Upvote 0

Bad To The Bone

Not old...Experienced
Mar 17, 2004
Escondido
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold it!
Looks like your pup enjoyed it too...

Absolutely! This was the most ducks she has ever retrieved on a single hunt. She'll be two years old next month and this hunt was really her first solo performance for ducks. My buddy Jeff has a GSP that mentored her last season and during a couple of duck hunts we made together this year. His dog Lucy and my Elsa are both great upland dogs too.
It's very rewarding to have a good hunting dog...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Nice job Gerry but you have to do something with that hair.............

Those were great videos of Elsa's retrieves she has it down now!

Upvote 0