Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
Check out the Nomad mikelson , awsome boat , I looked at one a couple of months ago but it sold , I have a 39 foot blackman and a 30 foot center console now and im looking to upgrade to a 55 foot to 63 foot
A Nomad may be a bit out of reach, and more boat than we need. At least that is what I am going to tell myself. Have you seen this one? Think it is more length than we want/need and maybe a bit narrow in the salon with the walk around decks and beam measurements, but dang it looks like a fun houseboat to go fishing on.

Jefferson 64’

Last edited:

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
Coring is definitely something to be concerned about, but it appears Mikelson does it right. Although my Nomad is not cored below the water line, it is above and that was of concern to me before deciding to go ahead and have one built. The coring Mikelson uses is closed cell and supposedly will not absorb water. During the commissioning of my boat, I kept a few of the thru-hull cores cut above the water line, I weighed them in tenths of a gram and put them in a jar with water. Over the years, I have pulled them out, dried them off and re-weighed -- none have gained any weight (ie, no water was absorbed).

If the coring is of concern, I would try to find examples of Mikelson's with a problem -- I have never heard of any, though with other brands the problem can be ubiquitous. Also, I think you will find that most other planning hull boats are cored below the water line. Personally, I would be more concerned about wood stringers.
I looked at one about 4 years ago that was a victim of water intrusion. It had to have holes cut throughout the hull and was vacuum bagged to draw the moisture out over a period of weeks rather than months. As you mentioned, the coring itself may not hold water but the sandwich of glass, core, and glass will separate. Once that happens you have lost the strength of a bonded unit.

Reactions: sickcat

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I looked at one about 4 years ago that was a victim of water intrusion. It had to have holes cut throughout the hull and was vacuum bagged to draw the moisture out over a period of weeks rather than months. As you mentioned, the coring itself may not hold water but the sandwich of glass, core, and glass will separate. Once that happens you have lost the strength of a bonded unit.
Wow. So the moisture was not in the coring but instead between the coring and the fiberglass? That sounds like irreparable delamination. I can't imagine how the water was able to makes its way between the coring and the fiberglass -- it is supposed to be bonded with resin. Normally, when a cored hull has water intrusion, it is the coring itself that absorbs the water. Perhaps there is more to this story?

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
Wow. So the moisture was not in the coring but instead between the coring and the fiberglass? That sounds like irreparable delamination. I can't imagine how the water was able to makes its way between the coring and the fiberglass -- it is supposed to be bonded with resin. Normally, when a cored hull has water intrusion, it is the coring itself that absorbs the water. Perhaps there is more to this story?
ED9A7937-C6B9-47B6-80CF-869A4A6F41AD.jpeg

Perhaps?

K

knot keely

A Nomad may be a bit out of reach, and more boat than we need. At least that is what I am going to tell myself. Have you seen this one? Think it is more length than we want/need and maybe a bit narrow in the salon with the walk around decks and beam measurements, but dang it looks like a fun houseboat to go fishing on.

Jefferson 64’

That Jefferson seems like a steal for that much boat.

Reactions: Garrison
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot

In a few "smaller" boats I have seen foam cored hulls with some pretty bad delamination that appears to be caused by water getting into the core from bad thru hull/ transducer installs that after using the boat with water in there pounded the closed cell coring bad enough to not only drive the water into the coring but cause the coring to fail at the coring/fiberglass bond. The coring/fiberglass bond was intact but the coring itself was torn away from the bond. Seems that taking away the air space in the coring and replacing it with water pounded away the cell structure of the foam with all the hydraulic pressure.

Another thing that seems a little counter intuitive is that in a glass layup that is too dry that water will wick along the glass fibers more than one might think.

Mikelson has a good reputation for quality so my guess is water got in from someones' poor workmanship after the boat was built.

Reactions: Garrison

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
Pending survey, I think we found what we were looking for. It needs some personal touches, but seems like a pretty solid fit for our needs. Appreciate all the info.

Anybody need a really nice Whaler 315 Pilothouse? It was recently rigged with a new tower and bait tank, should be listed in the next couple weeks.

Garrison

71000DF1-4145-48C7-A6C0-16782FD4F278.png

FC209D8E-F594-40BA-8360-0CC37ECF2EEE.png

E3D0FE04-5B28-4FBD-8AD0-C5B85C9C1C47.png

0BD498E6-53D3-4B6D-AA15-B64F9F98D0D1.png

Last edited:

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
That boat has what it takes to give you lots of fun and adventure. Are you going to keep it out of California for a year? Ensenada? When do you take delivery? Very exciting!
Exciting enough that I wake up in the middle of the night and read about Baja anchorages, Guadalupe permits, and redundant fuel filter configurations!😁

Sea trial is next week, if all goes well we will be purchasing the LLC and keeping it in Shelter Island.

Last edited:

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
Did you take the plunge? If so, how about some pics and details, including your planned upgrades, if any, and any plans for multi-day trips?
Yes sir, get the keys today and a great end tie at our current location just opened up.👍🏻 Don’t have any more pics at the moment.

As far as what’s next, we have a bit of a laundry list that the team at Mikelson will be working on the next couple/few weeks, they have been great to work with. Due to her age she is in need of an overall cosmetic freshen up, sand the decks, paint touch up, gel coat repairs, polish and wax, caulking and paint, clean up interior upholstery, carpets etc. and paint her new name “Apogee”.

List of little stuff to tackle from the survey, biggest item is a cutlass bearing, mostly clamps, fittings, fuel hose etc.,

In the electronics department, we are getting rid of a bunch of dated gear, and adding a second TZtouch2 MFD at the helm, new fusion sound system with a head unit in the cabin and a second helm station, Sirius antenna for weather and music, AIS module, new Furuno VHF at the helm, adding a vhf in the cockpit near the MFD over the sink, probably need a couple new antennas and replaced the underwater lights.

Comfort department, adding an Eskimo ice maker in the port kill box and cutting in a chest freezer under the settee. Built-in coffee pot!

Engine room, adding freshwater flush and general clean up and paint.

Fishing, she is pretty well set up, installing new outriggers, and possibly a second rail of rocket launchers. Make some bait tank covers.

Options we are debating,
thinking about a jog lever and rudder indicator at the main helm.
Possibly swapping out the water heater to a torrid when they are back in stock, also thinking about extra fuel capacity options, approx 200 gallons and adding some redundancy to fuel filtration. Any thoughts or must have items we are neglecting?

Plans for the summer are an initial trip to the Coral to iron out paperwork in Ensenada, local fishing, some island trips learning the boat’s systems and seeing what we need, then if all goes to plan, a leisurely trip down Baja later this summer. No dates set or plans nailed down, but getting incrementally closer. Pretty exciting stuff!

Garrison

9698C2AC-D9AC-4627-9077-CF795B153BA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Comfort department, adding an Eskimo ice maker in the port kill box and cutting in a chest freezer under the settee. Built-in coffee pot!

Garrison
Sounds great. Did you look at IceSea before deciding on Eskimo? As far as what you may be missing, what you have sounds very complete to me. I suggest you fish it a while then decide. Tuna tubes may be something you will want.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
Sounds great. Did you look at IceSea before deciding on Eskimo? As far as what you may be missing, what you have sounds very complete to me. I suggest you fish it a while then decide. Tuna tubes may be something you will want.
No we didn’t, knew we needed ice and they recommended the Eskimo.

We were talking about tuna tubes yesterday, the previous owner had this fender cradle installed and we are not big fans of leaving luggage on the swim step. Thinking we could possibly convert it to tuna tubes, or at least use the location.

I know you have jog levers on the wing stations, and you talked me out of one in the cockpit, but do you think it is worth adding one at the helm, instead of cranking on the wheel, or would it be money better spent on something else?

25061B4D-95C1-4694-9175-C0B98FCF7F9B.jpeg

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
My jog levers are in the tower, cockpit (which I very rarely have occasion to use) and at the Portuguese bridge wing stations. In my PH and FB helms, although there are conventional wheels, I steer by the rudder controls on my autopilot (a Simrad AP28). I suspect your autopilot control probably has the same functionality, but if not you may find that you prefer a jog lever. I do remember noticing that at least some of the boats on Deadliest Catch only have jog levers.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
My jog levers are in the tower, cockpit (which I very rarely have occasion to use) and at the Portuguese bridge wing stations. In my PH and FB helms, although there are conventional wheels, I steer by the rudder controls on my autopilot (a Simrad AP28). I suspect your autopilot control probably has the same functionality, but if not you may find that you prefer a jog lever. I do remember noticing that at least some of the boats on Deadliest Catch only have jog levers.
Thanks, seems like a wait and see option, if I can even find one. Appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0