Chan-

:)
May 12, 2020
Torrance
Name
Chan Suk
Boat
?
always wanted to try to build rods. seems like something that'll be fun, maybe generate a little bit of income when i get better, and help me lower my screen time LOL. would the start up kit from mudhole be good? would like something that will allow me to build for a while without upgrading stuff.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
A Mud Hole kit would be a good way to go with your first attempt, as everything that comes with the kit will fit. Figuring out what sizes you need seems to be the most difficult thing for beginning rod builders.

Be advised - it can be addictive.

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
Torrance
Name
Chan Suk
Boat
?
A Mud Hole kit would be a good way to go with your first attempt, as everything that comes with the kit will fit. Figuring out what sizes you need seems to be the most difficult thing for beginning rod builders.

Be advised - it can be addictive.
I'm addicted to a lot of things already (ofc not the bad things) fishing, golf, buying fishing gear, anime, cruising through bd, LOL doesn't hurt to add one more

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    The rod building kit that mudhole sells is an easy way to get the supplies and equipment you need to get started. Also, their blank kits already comes with the blank, guides, seat and grips, which makes it way easier for a beginner.

Hand wrapping sucks, especially if you want to wrap multiple rods within a time frame. I remember it used to take me 1-2 weeks to wrap 1 rod by hand as opposed to 1 rod in 2 hours on a power wrapper. So, considering the hand wrapping kit is like 200$ with a saltwater rod to start with, i think you could start with that.

On the other hand, a power wrapper can be had for anywhere from 250-350$. And seeing as you want to wrap rods to make income in the long run, i would suggest you save more and get a power wrapper to start with. It costs a little bit more money, but you will be able to work on rods faster and be ahead of your ultimate goal. I first bought the hand wrapper, and within 2 months I wanted to ditch the hand wrapper and get a power wrapper.

Reactions: Chan-
    Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    The rod building kit that mudhole sells is an easy way to get the supplies and equipment you need to get started. Also, their blank kits already comes with the blank, guides, seat and grips, which makes it way easier for a beginner.

Hand wrapping sucks, especially if you want to wrap multiple rods within a time frame. I remember it used to take me 1-2 weeks to wrap 1 rod by hand as opposed to 1 rod in 2 hours on a power wrapper. So, considering the hand wrapping kit is like 200$ with a saltwater rod to start with, i think you could start with that.

On the other hand, a power wrapper can be had for anywhere from 250-350$. And seeing as you want to wrap rods to make income in the long run, i would suggest you save more and get a power wrapper to start with. It costs a little bit more money, but you will be able to work on rods faster and be ahead of your ultimate goal. I first bought the hand wrapper, and within 2 months I wanted to ditch the hand wrapper and get a power wrapper.
    and if i should save a bit more, are there any kits or something like that available that you would recommend? i feel like it would be kind of hard to buy everything separately. birthday is in may and would probably have a budget of around 400-500 by that time. btw I'm the same guy from insta that was asking about the cousins rod :D

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Rod building is a great hobby but don't go into it thinking you are going to make any money. Once you spend hundreds of dollars for a wrapping machine and rod dryer you will find yourself buying dozens of spools of thread at $10 a spool, reelseats at $10 to $35 each, guide sets at $25 or $50 or more a set, not to mention hypalon, corktape, shrink tube, razor blades, rodbond, thread epoxy, denatured alcohol, acetone, masking tape, butt caps and of course high quality blanks at hundreds of dollars each.
    I've spend four or five thousand dollars on rod building stuff over the last 20 years and I think I made $10 once fixing a couple of guides for a guy.

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    Rod building is a great hobby but don't go into it thinking you are going to make any money. Once you spend hundreds of dollars for a wrapping machine and rod dryer you will find yourself buying dozens of spools of thread at $10 a spool, reelseats at $10 to $35 each, guide sets at $25 or $50 or more a set, not to mention hypalon, corktape, shrink tube, razor blades, rodbond, thread epoxy, denatured alcohol, acetone, masking tape, butt caps and of course high quality blanks at hundreds of dollars each.
    I've spend four or five thousand dollars on rod building stuff over the last 20 years and I think I made $10 once fixing a couple of guides for a guy.
    Yea I’m not going in thinking I’m making decent money. I guess it’s more of something for me to do during my free time while I watch YouTube, twitch, etc or when I’m doing who knows what on some weekday mornings. Though I’ve read that for a lot of people it does pay for their fishing gear and trips most of the time and that’ll be especially nice since as a teen (16-almost 17) I don’t really have any income at all. So was just thinking that having some sort, even very little would help me quite a bit.

Reactions: Sirgonzolot
    Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    and if i should save a bit more, are there any kits or something like that available that you would recommend? i feel like it would be kind of hard to buy everything separately. birthday is in may and would probably have a budget of around 400-500 by that time. btw I'm the same guy from insta that was asking about the cousins rod :D

Kind of remember, but ive had a ton of people message me within this last year, especially for cousins rods, but hey whats up 😂

And as someone already mentioned, you dont make any real money on rod building. Sometimes you get lucky and make some money on a rod that pays for a half day trip, but those come very few. I just ordered parts for 5 builds and spent over 500$ on parts. The total for the 5 rods was 700$ and about 16 hours in my garage working on rods, and another week of applying epoxy and drying times. After all of the epectricity i used up, and extra parts I needed such as denatured alcohol, thread, and other misc parts, I probably made 100$. For 2 weeks worth of work. I make that in 2 hours of my regular day job. So finish school and go to college and occasionally wrap for friends and family instead.

And if you save 500$, you can get a really good wrapper, stands, and some thread and other parts. Atleast enough parts to build one or 2 rods. Go to the main page of this forum and it tells you a breakdown of parts youre going to need. Calculate the cost and see if it is cost effective for you. Its a hefty startup cost, but cheaper to buy in bulk than it is to buy piece by piece.

Reactions: kbray001 and Chan-
    Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
    Feb 15, 2012
    FC Colorado
    Name
    Matt Riddell
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
    Mudhole kits are a great way to get started. I'm not crazy about most of the components they'll hook you up with, but for someone just getting started, it simplifies the process. The rod will still catch fish.

My advice to a beginner on a budget: don't worry about a power wrapper. It might make you faster, but it won't make you better. Building rods makes you better, and for the cost of a power wrapper you could build a few extra rods, instead.

Upvote 0

LB.

Lb’s Customs
    Aug 29, 2018
    La Crescenta CA
    Name
    Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
    Boat
    Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
    Great way to test yourself, challenge yourself, and stay out of trouble lol (good for me so far) money? Nope. Definitely a labor of love. Y’all know of any hard games??? 😂 😂 😂

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    Kind of remember, but ive had a ton of people message me within this last year, especially for cousins rods, but hey whats up 😂

And as someone already mentioned, you dont make any real money on rod building. Sometimes you get lucky and make some money on a rod that pays for a half day trip, but those come very few. I just ordered parts for 5 builds and spent over 500$ on parts. The total for the 5 rods was 700$ and about 16 hours in my garage working on rods, and another week of applying epoxy and drying times. After all of the epectricity i used up, and extra parts I needed such as denatured alcohol, thread, and other misc parts, I probably made 100$. For 2 weeks worth of work. I make that in 2 hours of my regular day job. So finish school and go to college and occasionally wrap for friends and family instead.

And if you save 500$, you can get a really good wrapper, stands, and some thread and other parts. Atleast enough parts to build one or 2 rods. Go to the main page of this forum and it tells you a breakdown of parts youre going to need. Calculate the cost and see if it is cost effective for you. Its a hefty startup cost, but cheaper to buy in bulk than it is to buy piece by piece.
    Not planning to make a career out of it. Just for something to do during my free time and make a little bit of money here and there. For me, 100 extra bucks every 2 weeks is good enough for doing something in my free tiem

Upvote 0

jackpotjoe

Addicted to sushi
    May 5, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Page
    Boat
    SS Minno
    Not planning to make a career out of it. Same here on my second build. My first rod works great for what I wanted. This one is my crazy idea 8ft 8inch uc e raptor blank. For slinging lures at pelagics. I did the handle and seat. Having it wrapped because I want to respect a uc blank.
    A few pics more when finished. 20210302_152403.jpg20210302_170632.jpg20210302_171241.jpg20210302_151925.jpg20210302_152001.jpg[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Rod wrapping is a labor of love..... (for Me)
    wrapping for profit is work.....

I decided to be a hobby rod builder... I do repair and build rods for friends on occasion, but not for the profit, but for the love of the hobby... if I do sell a rod I get my investment out of it , and few bucks for supplies.
    The guys that do it for a living or profit work very hard at. and most are very good if not the best..

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    I bought a rod lathe 3 rods in. In hindsight I ask myself what took me so long! Then I upgraded to an Alps chuck. In hindsight I ask myself what took me so long!! Then I upgraded to an electronic foot pedal. In hindsight I ask myself what took me so long!!!

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    I bought a rod lathe 3 rods in. In hindsight I ask myself what took me so long! Then I upgraded to an Alps chuck. In hindsight I ask myself what took me so long!! Then I upgraded to an electronic foot pedal. In hindsight I ask myself what took me so long!!!
    You're just a slow learner Len. Don't worry though, I'm way slower. In 40+ years of wrapping I've never used a power wrapper once.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    You also need to think about where you will build your rods. If you don't have a spare room will the wife or girlfriend ( if you have one) put up with you taking over a room to build roods? Do you plan on using your garage? If you plan to use your garage dust control can be difficult. Does your garage get very hot or cold? Temperature swings can cause bad expoxy results. My wife kicked me out of the guest room where I use to build my rods. Consequently I had a AC/heating unit installed in my garage at a cost of 5 grand. Crazy isn't it, I could buy a lot of custom rods from other builders at that price.

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    The kid is 16 years old. I don't think he has a wife and I'm pretty sure he is not sharing a house with his girlfriend. He is hoping to get some money for his birthday in May to buy some rod building supplies.
    got it exactly right LOL I'm planning to just build it right in my room or my garage if there's not enough room. room can fit a 10 foot pole fine. tho if i get a power wrapper need to get another smaller desk to kind of extend the one i already have

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    OK. OK. I miss the part where he is 16. So one question is will his parents put up with the smell of expoxy emitting from his room? My wife bitch like hell every time I put expoxy on my rods no mather where she was in the house.

• Wow
    Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    OK. OK. I miss the part where he is 16. So one question is will his parents put up with the smell of expoxy emitting from his room? My wife bitch like hell every time I put expoxy on my rods no mather where she was in the house.
    dont think theyll care too much as long as i air it out by opening the window.

Upvote 0

Chan-

May 12, 2020
    Torrance
    Name
    Chan Suk
    Boat
    ?
    if they don't like it, then i can always just move to the backyard or garage with it open while I'm using a lot of epoxy.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I am just pointing out some possible issues that come with rod building. Once you iron out all the issues then start building rods. For me I really enjoy building rods as a hobbyist.

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
    Feb 15, 2012
    FC Colorado
    Name
    Matt Riddell
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"

What kind of finish are you using? I've never worked with anything with a particularly strong or unpleasant odor. Hell, D2 smells almost as good as Hoppes 9.

Of course, I ain't got a wife to point things like that out to me. :D

Upvote 0