Hellosugaree

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
First thing I'd do is get a bigger truck. Down here there are hills and that truck would scare the crap outta me coming down these hills.
Fuck my life. You guys are killing me. Can't a man daydream. :Exploding_Smiley:

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Check this boat out-Nice option for about 40k.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Fuck my life. You guys are killing me. Can't a man daydream. :Exploding_Smiley:
Ever been in that trailer sway situation at speed? I've lived through it twice, one with boat and one with a trailer. I now tow with an F350, enough of that shit. I almost got pulled into the ditch twice by what I was dragging. Traffic here can go from 80 to zero in a short amount of time. You need big brakes.

bowen405

L3757
Jun 16, 2017
Southern California
Name
Bryan
Boat
Parker 1801
If you are in the 1801 market check the east coast. I bought one and had it shipped and got a lot nicer/newer version for less. Boatzez.com is a great search engine that searches craigslist and the internet for you. Always willing to help if you have any questions on validating the boat or my experience. All my boat needed was a west coast style bait tank (38g oval blue water) and an updated ff

Reactions: Hellosugaree

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I have a 19ft Bayrunner that I pulled with my Tacoma 4x4 after 10 trips to SD and a few to Baja I decided to get a bigger truck. Pulling my boat with the Tacoma I got between 6 & 8 mpg depending on speed. Pulling it with my Tundra I get 8-12.
That being said Stopping is more important than MPGs.

Sloberdog

Jun 20, 2008
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
SeaPro 206 WAC F150
-Trailerable locally with a v6 4x4 tacoma (~6400lb towing capacity). I'm not planning on taking it on road trips through the mountains, so I just need to be able to drive it locally and launch and retrieve.

Based on this information and that a heavy 22 foot boat/motor/fuel will be around 5k lbs max...you have tons of options. Our San Diego launch ramps (SD/MB) are not steep and our newer/redone (Shelter Island / MB South Shore) offer tons of traction.

For San Diego offshore fishing on most days, get at least an 18ft with a fuel range of 150 miles based on the outboard/boat average MPG. That will get you within reach of the offshore banks when the pelagics show up.

The simplicity and fish-ability of a CC is has always been very appealing to me on those few "Cabo like" weather days we get in San Diego or when inshore fishing.

_dayday

Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
I fish down here is SD with my 18ft sea pro CC. 42 Gallon gas tank gets up about 90 mile round trip. We started bringing some extra gas cans on board to hit the farther banks. We get good weather days over summer if you plan it right and you can get pretty far. That being said, if you could get a larger boat with more gas I'd go that route.

I was looking at the Arima Seachaser Yellowtail. Its a 19ft pilot house. Thing looks rad. Brand new at 50k.

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
I fish down here is SD with my 18ft sea pro CC. 42 Gallon gas tank gets up about 90 mile round trip. We started bringing some extra gas cans on board to hit the farther banks. We get good weather days over summer if you plan it right and you can get pretty far. That being said, if you could get a larger boat with more gas I'd go that route.

I was looking at the Arima Seachaser Yellowtail. Its a 19ft pilot house. Thing looks rad. Brand new at 50k.
That's a pretty cool concept. I'm a big fan of small boats pretending to be big boats. Although I have to admit the shape of the front of the pilothouse looks kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure I can get over that. I want to go see one in person though. Also I think at that size a center console might be more functional unless you absolutely need a pilothouse. Still a pretty cool boat and I'll definitely check it out if I find one around.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I would recommend getting the boat that will work for you 90% of the time and no boat is going to be best 100% of the time). For your needs, that sounds like a center console, which is not only more fishable than a WA, but the lighter weight will allow you to go a little bigger. And length is important. Over the years, I have owned a bunch of boats, but rarely used the cabins in the smaller boats I have owned. Spending a few days at the island living out of a small cabin sounds better than it is.

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
I would recommend getting the boat that will work for you 90% of the time and no boat is going to be best 100% of the time). For your needs, that sounds like a center console, which is not only more fishable than a WA, but the lighter weight will allow you to go a little bigger. And length is important. Over the years, I have owned a bunch of boats, but rarely used the cabins in the smaller boats I have owned. Spending a few days at the island living out of a small cabin sounds better than it is.
Solid advice. It's where I'll most likely end up. If I go with a center console I'll end up spending less and having a boat that is way more equipped.

I'm 6'3 so really nothing short of a 100 foot yacht is going to allow me to sleep in it anyway. I'm also always the one driving, fishing, and helping everyone else fish, and that's easier to manage when you can fish from the helm and have good visibility around the entire boat from any position.

You're 100% correct that a center console is the best boat for >90% of the fishing I do. 18-20ft is probably the right size for me too. Cost goes up dramatically above that anyway. I'd like to have money left over to buy gas and actually use the boat.

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
HelloSugar...,
After reading thru the thread again, I realize you have pretty much decided on a CC in the 18 foot range.

Until a year ago, I used to fish Lake Michigan with a friend who had a Scout 195 Sportfish Center Console. Tho Lake Mich ain't the ocean, it can get plenty rough, and the boat seemed to me to be very solid. It's got an 8'6" beam, holds ~40 gallons, can take a 150horse motor, Dry weight was ~2100. Current price is about $35K. There is a 17.5 foot model that's about $28K, and dry weight of ~1300.

It was very fishable, we used it for salmon/steelhead/laketrout, but it's set up for the type of fishing you do in SoCal.
Here is an attempt to show apic of the 195:
1603750688848.png

Hmmm, that didn't show the boat. That's just the diagram. Oh well, you can find it, I'm sure.

Why am I bothering to reply in this thread? Well, I envy you being able to do it, and I can't help but think about what I'd like. Take it with a grain of salt.

Oh yeah, I'm not affiliated with any company or boat or anything of any importance. :-)

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
Solid advice. It's where I'll most likely end up. If I go with a center console I'll end up spending less and having a boat that is way more equipped.

I'm 6'3 so really nothing short of a 100 foot yacht is going to allow me to sleep in it anyway. I'm also always the one driving, fishing, and helping everyone else fish, and that's easier to manage when you can fish from the helm and have good visibility around the entire boat from any position.

You're 100% correct that a center console is the best boat for >90% of the fishing I do. 18-20ft is probably the right size for me too. Cost goes up dramatically above that anyway. I'd like to have money left over to buy gas and actually use the boat.
I'm 6 3 and can sleep comfortably in my parker 2310 completely stretched out. Bigger berth than a 2320. Might be the same size berth as a 2520. That being said we have yet to sleep overnight. I see overnights at clemente in the future though.

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
Cc are great , fast, all that obvious stuff. You said mid life...save your body and travel in comfort. Get a cabin where kids can crash and partners can switch off driving. Slow and steady wins the race! Ocean here very much more accessible than gnarly bay area.. overrnights at islands fun fun possibility. Full electronics must, radar too! Offshore bait tank and auto pilot to save miles and gas . Maybe a slip for summer...trailering blows and people at the dock are cool and lots of good intel and folks to partner up with on trips. Birds of a feather.... Much safer to fish relax and drive the sedan home or spend night w more beers and a q or come back next morning and clean boat. Its safety thing. Fishing is long day. Sucks to end it trailering home w one eye open

Life is short .
23 Parker good idea..real good!.i like your list. Robalo mako. But like to see you covered up...lol..mid 45 gets you into alot of nice ones, something w a newer volvo diesel too, i would not rule out an io. They ride better and don't stink..
Scout Abaco 24 nice boats..tuna tower be nice too.

Last edited: