Hellosugaree

Almost A Member
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
After 11 years in the bay area, I'm moving to San Diego to be closer to family. If everything goes according to plan, I'd like to upgrade to a bigger boat in the first half of 2021.

I would love to get some ideas on boats to keep an eye out for. If I pick one boat and stick to it I may die before I find the right one, so having multiple options will get me on the water faster. I'll some background on my experience and what I'm looking for.

I'm upgrading from a 13ft Boston Whaler. This is the first boat I've ever owned, and I've loved every minute of it. It's time for a real boat.

Budget
Mid 40's max price on used boat in fishable condition.

Important things
-Reliable and ready to fish
-Outboard power, mid 2000s or newer with plenty of useable hours left
-Trailerable locally with a v6 4x4 tacoma (~6400lb towing capacity). I'm not planning on taking it on road trips through the mountains, so I just need to be able to drive it locally and launch and retrieve.
-Fishing... Space for bait tank if not integrated, fish box or space for fish cooler and food cooler. Rod storage options, etc.

Uses
Fishing. I would like something I can take to Catalina or Coronados when conditions permit. Obviously these days will be limited in a boat this size, so a good chunk of time will be spent fishing inshore. I also would like to be able to take 4-5 people out for a pleasure cruise from time to time.

Boats I'm currently considering
Center consoles:
When I first started playing with this idea in my head, I was thinking of a 17-19ft center console. Since I've been super happy with my current boat, getting the same thing but bigger seems like a solid choice. Fishing is my number one priority with the boat, and open boats are great for fishing.
Some options:
Montauk 17'-21'
Parker 1801
Robalo 18'-20'
Mako

Walkaround or pilothouse (something with a small cabin):
After being pretty set on a center console, I started noticing a ton of parker pilothouse boats out on the water. Since I tend to push my fishing, being able to stay dry in choppy conditions would be nice, as would having a small cabin on the boat to be able to overnight on it. I'm not as familiar with all of the options out there in this style. I'll be limited by budget and weight here.
Some options:
Parker 2120 (might be tough to find locally in the condition I want with my budget, but I may consider buying elsewhere and shipping)
Grady white adventure 208 (again, might take some searching)

What are some other options that come close to filling my wish list that I have totally missed? This would be particularly helpful for filling in some additional smaller walkaround options.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
Check out parker 2310 walk-around. I think there is one for sale here in 40s with suzuki recent repower.

Otherwise your budget for a 23+ pilothouse /WA might be a little too tight

Reactions: Hellosugaree
Upvote 0

Hellosugaree

Almost A Member
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Check out parker 2310 walk-around. I think there is one for sale here in 40s with suzuki recent repower.

Otherwise your budget for a 23+ pilothouse /WA might be a little too tight

I think a 2310 might be too heavy for me to tow. 2120 is already probably pushing it by the time it's loaded with gas and gear. Realistically looking for 18-21' in this style.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0

Bwood

Jan 24, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Brett
Boat
17' Whaler
Have you checked out the KeyWest 189FS? I have not seen one in person but Really like the deeper V raised casting deck trolling motor Yamaha option looks like the perfect all around to skiff to me. I wish they sold them on the West Coast

Upvote 0

sebastian

Oct 1, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Sebastian
Boat
Ocean Seafari - 17 Whaler
I love my GW 208, great trailerable walkaround. I came out of a 17 whaler and the GW is lot more boat. Can't go wrong with any of the choices above.

Upvote 0

benrd81

May 21, 2009
Lompoc, ca
Name
Ben
Boat
2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
Check out sailfish boats. Will more than likely have to go east to get one but they will fit the bill

Upvote 0

Hellosugaree

Almost A Member
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
If you don't have a home picked out get a place you can store the boat at home. Boat/rv storage here is a beast.

Funny you should mention that.

My mom is super excited to have us back in the area after 15 years away and keeps sending us listings for places with messages like "You have to see this place. Really nice kitchen and room layout."

My first thought is... "Who cares--let's see the driveway."

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Funny you should mention that.

My mom is super excited to have us back in the area after 15 years away and keeps sending us listings for places with messages like "You have to see this place. Really nice kitchen and room layout."

My first thought is... "Who cares--let's see the driveway."
When you get an address do a google maps search of the house and streel. The driveway maybe big enough but is the street wide enough to back up the trailer. Good hunting.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
When you get an address do a google maps search of the house and streel. The driveway maybe big enough but is the street wide enough to back up the trailer. Good hunting.

yeah, we are still renting here in SD and finding a place to rent with a driveway for a reasonable price is hard to find. We found a duplex, no room for boat but a nice backyard for toys and cleaning fish. I keep my trailer at Acquarius Storage and slip the boat at Campland. We thought about buying a place in the area but the median price in our area is probably 850k-1million. Would need to put down 300-400k to get our mortgage down to what we pay for rent. We are both heavy in biotech associated with UCSD so we wanted something close, that's the problem. Move 30 minutes inland and its cheaper. Anyway renting for us is much cheaper than a million dollar mortgage so we rent and save.

Good luck with the move

Upvote 0

Hellosugaree

Almost A Member
Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
yeah, we are still renting here in SD and finding a place to rent with a driveway for a reasonable price is hard to find. We found a duplex, no room for boat but a nice backyard for toys and cleaning fish. I keep my trailer at Acquarius Storage and slip the boat at Campland. We thought about buying a place in the area but the median price in our area is probably 850k-1million. Would need to put down 300-400k to get our mortgage down to what we pay for rent. We are both heavy in biotech associated with UCSD so we wanted something close, that's the problem. Move 30 minutes inland and its cheaper. Anyway renting for us is much cheaper than a million dollar mortgage so we rent and save.

Good luck with the move

I'm in biotech too. That's how we ended up in the bay area.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh
Boat
Parker 1801
I just bought a used Parker 1801 and am in love with it. It’s an upgrade in size of your current boat, very simple and bare bones but also super fishy. You’ll be stoked on the deck space compared to a 13 ft whaler

Upvote 0

sebastian

Oct 1, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Sebastian
Boat
Ocean Seafari - 17 Whaler
Even though I have a GW 208, the Parker 1801 J has above is a great option. I can see myself going to that boat at some point.

Reactions: JFurst
Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
First, let me say I envy you for being able to live in San Diego. If you can afford it, it has GOT to be the most wonderful place for a regular guy fisherman type fella to live. dont

Second, I realize that a lot of folks who have boats in SD prefer fiberglass, because they think that aluminum is rather "bouncy". Howsomever, I spent (misspent?) a number of years in the Pacific NW, and despite their rough waters, I found a lot of boats that worked pretty well even tho they were aluminum.

Ergo, I would suggest that you might take a look at the NORTHWEST BOATS "18/20 compass Sport"". I don't know if it's in your price range, but in MHO it should work well for what you want in SoCal. Coronados, Catalina, etc. First I will attempt to put apic of the boat here:
1603419203277.png

Second, I shall attempt to put a Link to the actual website of the boat maker:

And my congrats for living the dream!!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
You need more truck. I have a 2003 Tacoma V6 Auto. I used it to drag a 1990 17 Whaler around. It was the most boat that rig could handle. I used to drag that boat everywhere from Dana to Silverwood. That rig is rated to tow 5000lbs but don't bet on it.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    First thing I'd do is get a bigger truck. Down here there are hills and that truck would scare the crap outta me coming down these hills.

Upvote 0

Hellosugaree

Almost A Member
    Sep 6, 2019
    San Francisco
    Name
    Timbo
    Boat
    13' Boston Whaler
    You need more truck. I have a 2003 Tacoma V6 Auto. I used it to drag a 1990 17 Whaler around. It was the most boat that rig could handle. I used to drag that boat everywhere from Dana to Silverwood. That rig is rated to tow 5000lbs but don't bet on it.

It's definitely a concern. I think even a parker 2120 is pushing it. My truck is rated to tow 6400, but i would expect even 4500 pounds would probably be pushing it, and a 2120 is probably close to that rigged without the trailer.

I would also have a lot more money left over to go fishing with an 18ft center console. The price jump is pretty dramatic going from a parker 1801 to a 2120.

Anything I'm looking at is going to be a massive upgrade anyway.

Upvote 0