ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
These are 1/2 once chrome torpedo sinkers from back in the albacore days. I got to thinking that maybe I could pound one side flat to possibly give it some action. I thumped it with a big hammer on a 2X4 to cushion the other side and used needle nose pliers to hold it steady. I tried it with 1 ounce chromies I had but the plating popped off. I'm going to use a Cast O' Bubble with birdshot in it filled with water that weighs out at 2.5 ounces bringing the total weight to over 3 ounces. I'll be running a 5' 100# fluorocarbon leader from the bubble to the jig.

I hung the altered jig from a 50# bucket of lead for 4 hours with no sign of deformation. We'll see if this exercise was worth it or a big waste of time.

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I'm going to use a Cast O' Bubble with birdshot in it filled with water that weighs out at 2.5 ounces bringing the total weight to over 3 ounces.
Maybe a 2-3 ounce chrome torpedo would work as well. My concern was the brass eyes in the lead. But you have addressed that issue with the 50 lb bucket test.

Another idea is to add some type of flotation or feathers (to create drag) to the hook. The sinker could be worked back to the boat in an up and down pattern. Like the old torpedo sinker / rocket jig combo for barracuda.

How about connecting two 1 ounce chrome sinkers with a ring? Give the sinkers some action - like a jointed Rapala.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Tiny megabait, split ring, swivel and assist hook.

onehottip

Well-Known "Member"
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Kastmaster, coasters., switch out hooks. Why not? It should work. Just have confidence to stick with it and you’ll be rewarded.
Gary btw those lures look trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: mackereljoe