Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
This post is for any anglers who may need to fly back from Mexico with their reels. I expec this will mostly be guys from out of CA..

flying back form PV yesterday, we were not able to carry on our reels as carry on baggage. They made us check all of the reels with our luggage..

Just an fyi

Jeff

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
We were told the airlines had no say in this.. It is a MexicO TSA thing..

No problem on the way down, just on the return leg.. so plan putting your reels in your checked bags for your flight home

jeff

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I'm curious about traveling there. Any problem bringing rods? I'd really like to hear a report. I'm considering either the Apollo or Success.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
should we invest in travel insurance for our reels if they disappear from our checked baggage?goooooooooing

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
should we invest in travel insurance for our reels if they disappear from our checked baggage?goooooooooing

Mike I have a separate insurance ryder for my fishing tackle insured against theft or loss…….want to scare yourself add up how much all your gear would cost to replace….

Upvote 0

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
Nov 4, 2007
Leucadia, CA
Name
Pete
Boat
Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
Lake, no problem bringing rods, I bring three in an SKB rod tube. If you check the Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports, there is a write up on our Success trip last weekend.

Upvote 0

Mangisda

Almost A Member
Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat
Hobie Outfitter tandem kayak
Mike I have a separate insurance ryder for my fishing tackle insured against theft or loss…….want to scare yourself add up how much all your gear would cost to replace….

Thanks for bringing this up Fishy. Allow me to add that a separate rider to cover expensive gear at their REPLACEMENT cost is a must. A few years ago three reels disappeared from inside my checked-in cooler coming back from Los Cabos. I filed a claim, and the airline settled but at the depreciated cost of my reels.

The TSA has guidelines that allow reels with line to be hand-carried, but ultimately the decision to allow it rests on the person checking your stuff at the security gate, stateside or not. I handcarry my reels, but am always prepared to check-in my reels. What am I going to do? Argue with the agent and miss my flight?

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
Jun 14, 2008
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat
Grady White Lori Ann
I have never been able to carry reels back with line on them from Mexico. I used to push the issue at the gate in Cabo or PV every time and was allowed to carry them on about 60% of the time. I pushed the issue once to far and missed my flight. I now remove the spools from my reels and place them in my check bags. I still carry the reel with out the spool. It is not that hard to learn how to remove the spools and when you realize how much replacement cost is, it is worth it. I want to say this as well. I have never had an issue with theft while traveling in Mexico, I have had reels stolen in route from San Diego to Miami.

Reactions: Juanba
Upvote 0

Mangisda

Almost A Member
Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat
Thanks for bringing this up Fishy. Allow me to add that a separate rider to cover expensive gear at their REPLACEMENT cost is a must. A few years ago three reels disappeared from inside my checked-in cooler coming back from Los Cabos. I filed a claim, and the airline settled but at the depreciated cost of my reels.

The TSA has guidelines that allow reels with line to be hand-carried, but ultimately the decision to allow it rests on the person checking your stuff at the security gate, stateside or not. I handcarry my reels, but am always prepared to check-in my reels. What am I going to do? Argue with the agent and miss my flight?

Just to be clear, my cooler began its journey in Los Cabos. Then it got stuck for more than 2 days in Detroit. When I got it half the fish were thawed out and no more reels. I do not want to speculate at what point in the journey my reels disappeared.

Upvote 0

Mangisda

Almost A Member
Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat

Just to be clear, my cooler began its journey in Los Cabos. Then it got stuck for more than 2 days in Detroit. When I got it half the fish were thawed out and no more reels. I do not want to speculate at what point in the journey my reels disappeared.

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
To clarify,

Four different members of our group were stopped in different lines, by different people.. All were told they could not bring their reels with line on them onto the plane..

Jeff

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Something must've happened after August...flew on 8/25/14 out of Cabo with three reels in carry-on, all with line. This was on Southwest.

Upvote 0

redsalmonslayer

Skipper
    Apr 3, 2008
    Kenai River,Alaska
    Name
    Thomas Allen
    Boat
    18ft lowe" Drift Daddy"
    11/25 flew back from cabo RRIII trip 4 accurates in my backpack same thing last 4 years.All had mono topshots 400n,500n,600n,30n.If that makes any difference. Alaska Airlines. TA

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
    nor cal USA
    Name
    spanky
    Boat
    sac-yac
    11/25 flew back from cabo RRIII trip 4 accurates in my backpack same thing last 4 years.All had mono topshots 400n,500n,600n,30n.If that makes any difference. Alaska Airlines. TA
    talked to a couple of guys fishing out of Mazatlan. Apparently, its ok to take reels in carry on, if your reels are spooled with lite line. They covered up spectra with 15lb test top shots. No problems at the gate.

Upvote 0

Latest posts