Mexico bans Bluefin Tuna fishing -- official thread till we figure it out....or implode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
My info came from some of the fleet operators in Ensenada. They heard about the closure and went right to conapesca and the port. Both told them it's for the foreign flagged boats and to go fishing.
There was no official word telling the Mexican sport boats they were cut off.

I also hear about the stuff that goes out to the sportboat fleet from SAC that is the closest thing to private boats we have.

I called Sergio's sportfishing in Ensenada this morning and spoke to Serigo (or so he identified himself). I asked if I were to board one of his boats could I fish for bluefin tuna and keep what I catch. I asked the same question 5 times and got 5 non-committal answers.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I called Sergio's sportfishing in Ensenada this morning and spoke to Serigo (or so he identified himself). I asked if I were to board one of his boats could I fish for bluefin tuna and keep what I catch. I asked the same question 5 times and got 5 non-committal answers.
In Mexico you could interpret that as a yes

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
The last three pages of this thread should be deleted starting at reply #638. It's all innuendo and third hand info.

Now we're going down a road that might have immediate real world implications for some hard working folks south of the border. JMHO

Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
The last three pages of this thread should be deleted starting at reply #638. It's all innuendo and third hand info.

Now we're going down a road that might have immediate real world implications for some hard working folks south of the border. JMHO

What prompted much of the recent posts was the statement by one of the BD gurus that could be interpreted by some that it is OK to fish & keep bluefin if done from a Mexican flagged boat.

So once again I ask the question: Who gets nailed if a bluefin is found on board, the Mexican flagged boat or the American angler?

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
What prompted much of the recent posts was the statement by one of the BD gurus that could be interpreted by some that it is OK to fish & keep bluefin if done from a Mexican flagged boat.

So once again I ask the question: Who gets nailed if a bluefin is found on board, the Mexican flagged boat or the American angler?
That's a good question.......

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
Who has more money? That's who will be FINED.........

Reactions: BiggestT and plj46
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Try this one for size.

You catch and keep a tuna in Mexican waters. All yft. Then the DFW says one is a BFT. They follow the Lacey act to enforce Mexican fishing laws in the US.
Remember most of these DFW KIDS have never caught a tuna in their life. I wouldn't mine letting the little Irish curly redhead handcuff and search me though :D

Interesting no input from the Baja fishing fleet operators on this one eh?

Upvote 0

Jumbocorb

Jun 27, 2014
Carlsbadass
Name
Chevrolegs
Boat
Hippie basher
Then YOU personally pay the bill to detain, feed ,shower ,transport,provide medical attention and process ,all these ILLEGAL INVADERS of OUR country.

People like you, are why this shit is happening..... This country needs to be respected as the POWER,we are. I'm just asking for us to treat others as they treat US(USA).
Would you sneak illegally into Mexico? FUCK NO... YOU FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES. YOU would be SHOT. SO ,why can't WE return the favor.

I imagine, you shoot fuckers for ONE day, it would ALL stop, in ONE day. Billions of US dollars saved annually.

GO HUG A FUCKING SEAL.........
Then YOU personally pay the bill to detain, feed ,shower ,transport,provide medical attention and process ,all these ILLEGAL INVADERS of OUR country.

People like you, are why this shit is happening..... This country needs to be respected as the POWER,we are. I'm just asking for us to treat others as they treat US(USA).
Would you sneak illegally into Mexico? FUCK NO... YOU FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES. YOU would be SHOT. SO ,why can't WE return the favor.

I imagine, you shoot fuckers for ONE day, it would ALL stop, in ONE day. Billions of US dollars saved annually.

GO HUG A FUCKING SEAL.........
hahahah if you live in chula Juana you're basically a Mexican resident

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Do I understand that right? The closure doesn't apply to Mexican boats? It applies to American LR boats and private American boats? Or is that just a bunch of malarkey?

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    The answer to the question is no one gets busted for a bluefin because it's a Mexican flagged boat.

I believe DFW would confiscate the fish and have to have it for court. You can fight it.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    someday a 23' Striper
    That post says the equivalent of: Your dope dealer will not rat you out to the cops.

My take is that if you fish out of a baja norte ports and decided to keep the bluefin, there is tacit support from the local .gov for the fleet to do so. They want you to come down there and spend money to fish their fleet. Like I said, local rules will trump faraway laws. The fleet were most likely advised not to publish any bluefin numbers and to squash any pictures of the bluefin by their customers. Don't ask don't tell..

Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
    Santa Monica
    mysite.verizon.net
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    19' Home Built
    My take is that if you fish out of a baja norte ports and decided to keep the bluefin, there is tacit support from the local .gov for the fleet to do so. They want you to come down there and spend money to fish their fleet. Like I said, local rules will trump faraway laws. The fleet were most likely advised not to publish any bluefin numbers and to squash any pictures of the bluefin by their customers. Don't ask don't tell..

OK - we will take this one step at a time. Who enforces Mexican fishing laws?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Have you ever seen a Panga or Cruiser captain shut off the catch of Dorado at two per angler? I thought not.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.