Mexican waters registration

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
yorba linda
Name
nick
Boat
which one
Hey new guy here came to BD looking to buy a CC but after searching for a while decided to wait until prices drop a little. So i have been fishing the harbors and inshore in my little 15' UTE i understand the permits and stuff i need to go into mexican waters but im wondering if my registration will be an issue. I bought the boat from a buddy and its not registered to me and he cant find the title. I will get it switched over at some point but im just wondering if it will be an issue if i get stopped?

irob2

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Well yes since you need it to get a tip permit

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
If you fish outside of 12 miles from Mexican land (including the Coronados), all you technically need is a Mexican fishing license.

I'm not sure what the technicalities are if you're stopped by US DFG/Coast Guard and the boat has current registration but you aren't the listed owner. I suppose it would be ok, as if your friend just lent you the boat. We're allowed to do that, right?

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
yorba linda
Name
nick
Boat
which one
Well yes since you need it to get a tip permit
yeah thats what raised the question the tip requires a copy of the registration its registered and up to date. so im taking it as they will deny the permit if the names dont match?

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
yorba linda
Name
nick
Boat
which one
If you fish outside of 12 miles from Mexican land (including the Coronados), all you technically need is a Mexican fishing license.

I'm not sure what the technicalities are if you're stopped by US DFG/Coast Guard and the boat has current registration but you aren't the listed owner. I suppose it would be ok, as if your friend just lent you the boat. We're allowed to do that, right?
Yeah i have been stopped by DFG it was not an issue but im worried about mexico. And in that little boat i don't want to be further than 12 miles from any land unless its flat calm and no wind. I was mostly thinking of running to the island in it to catch yt not comfortable enough yet to go too far offshore.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Yeah i have been stopped by DFG it was not an issue but im worried about mexico. And in that little boat i don't want to be further than 12 miles from any land unless its flat calm and no wind. I was mostly thinking of running to the island in it to catch yt not comfortable enough yet to go too far offshore.
Then you will have problems signing up for the appropriate paperwork with mismatching registration information.