phish8226

phish
Feb 2, 2006
La Verne,
Name
Bob
Boat
Nope
Thanks for the heads up Salvatore. It looks like there may at least be some sort of negotiating power in the hands of the US. I just wonder if anybody will do anything with it. Look what happened with the MLPA's. Our elected officials stuck thier heads in the sand when we needed them most. Heres another thought. If we could find out who in the Mexican government has some pull, we could write, email or call and voice our concerns that while the Visa may work in some instances, it will be detrimental to Mexico in others. We all have opinions on why this is going on, but the bottom line is that Baja Mexico needs our american tourist dollars, and the influx of american cash has declined due to in large to safety issues for americans traveling on land, not by sea. I really don't think the mexican government is trying to punish fishermen. in actuality, I believe they are attempting to tighten up security along the boarders. Unfortunately, keeping honest John honest is not the issue. If anybody out there can give us some direction on who to contact in Mexico, I think our time would be better served heading in that direction. To tell you the truth, I have absolutely no confidance in any of our elected officials doing anything about this. If they cared about the sportfishing industry even a little bit, the MLPA's would not exist.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
S

South Bend

Look what happened with the MLPA's. Our elected officials stuck thier heads in the sand when we needed them most. .

Exactly. I think the only way to start seeing change is to start voting in officials that are not anti-sportfishing/hunting. The current political party that controls California is definately not working. The sad part is that there are a bunch of guys on this board that are openly supportive of the current administration in this state.

Upvote 0

HamachiHunter

Eat yer Kill
Dec 23, 2011
La Jolla CA
Name
Geek
Boat
Pending
Exactly. I think the only way to start seeing change is to start voting in officials that are not anti-sportfishing/hunting. The current political party that controls California is definately not working. The sad part is that there are a bunch of guys on this board that are openly supportive of the current administration in this state.

The Current one?

This was all started and supported by the PREVIOUS Administration if I remember right. And I do.

People need to quit blaming each other and just follow the money. But that horse is long been dead.

These fees will do Mexico more harm than good. They are just trying to get back all of the hundreds of millions they have lost ever since they lost control of their country and people refuse to go there anymore and spend their cash. I live here for the fishing more than the weather... If my hobby becomes too much of a Pain to enjoy I will just leave... no one is forcing anyone to stay.

Upvote 0

saldanna

Nov 13, 2008
Spring Valley, CA
Name
Salvatore D'Anna
Boat
Dominator
Thanks for the heads up Salvatore. It looks like there may at least be some sort of negotiating power in the hands of the US. I just wonder if anybody will do anything with it. Look what happened with the MLPA's. Our elected officials stuck thier heads in the sand when we needed them most. Heres another thought. If we could find out who in the Mexican government has some pull, we could write, email or call and voice our concerns that while the Visa may work in some instances, it will be detrimental to Mexico in others. We all have opinions on why this is going on, but the bottom line is that Baja Mexico needs our american tourist dollars, and the influx of american cash has declined due to in large to safety issues for americans traveling on land, not by sea. I really don't think the mexican government is trying to punish fishermen. in actuality, I believe they are attempting to tighten up security along the boarders. Unfortunately, keeping honest John honest is not the issue. If anybody out there can give us some direction on who to contact in Mexico, I think our time would be better served heading in that direction. To tell you the truth, I have absolutely no confidance in any of our elected officials doing anything about this. If they cared about the sportfishing industry even a little bit, the MLPA's would not exist.

Just my two cents.
I disagree with you on getting your elected official to assist in this matter and in other matters that you may need assistance with. The problem is that no one gets involved to put pressure on them. If no one complains, our Reps will assume that we are fine with the laws they passed and will never change them to our liking.

According to an email update I received from Congressman Duncan Hunter's office, they were already working on addressing this issue even before I contacted them.

Hello Sal,

I have contacted our staffer in DC who handles this issue and asked him to follow up with you directly. His name is Lee Brooks, and he was looking into this when you contacted me originally.

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

Holly Hough
Office of Congressman Duncan Hunter (CA-52)
1870 Cordell Ct., #206
El Cajon, CA 92020
(619) 448-5201/fax, (619) 449-2251

The more people contact their Representatives regarding an issue, the more resources will be used to address it and the quicker it will get resolved. We are a Republican form of government, so our Representatives are supposed to represent us and they can't do that if they never interact with those they represent.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Fishing New Year to everyone!!

Salvatore B. D'Anna

Upvote 0

rick marin

Nothing new here
Dec 24, 2006
lemon grove
Name
rick marin
Boat
H & M fleet
The whole process is still in negotiations. The people on our side have our best interests at heart, and know more about the industry than most of the rest of us combined. Mexico is working with us to find a process that works for all. Anything said by people on this site is pure conjecture and rumor. No one nows how it will work out until it does. Be patient, we'll know soon.

Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
Again..."the sky is falling":rofl:

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
It appears to me that recreational fishing is going to get or is now very complicated... with all the closures and now Mexico uping the anties ... we will need a pockect full of money and a 350 page rule/guide book to fish with out any infractions...

WTF happened to going out and just enjoying a day on the water ....

My frustrations are Overboard....

Upvote 0

rick marin

Nothing new here
Dec 24, 2006
lemon grove
Name
rick marin
Boat
H & M fleet
It'll take what it takes. The mexican government has allowed business as usual during the interim period. Much more gracious than they could have been!

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
M&M Candy
Make sure to get ALL your fishing done before 12/21/2012... according to the Mayans, it is "Game Over"!!! (Or the Global Economy/Stock Market will Crash)

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Oh, and by the way? For everyone who thinks this is Mexico trying to capitalize on the new MLPAs, that's just absurd. None of the people involved in the process either know or care about them. But more importantly, Mexican waters have always been far more desirable a place to fish. Even in the absence of regulations in US waters, most of us want to fish off of Mexico. That's where the fishing is better.

This is about two things:

1. Mexican law always prohibited what we were doing, but until a couple of years ago, no one ever looked at it. Once they did, something had to be done.

2. Tourism in Baja California is way down, and that is literally KILLING the economy. The local people want their government to DO something about it, and the State Government has tried. They may have been going about things in exactly the wrong way---I think what they have done is idiotic---but they don't know what else to do. They need tourists desperately, and they are angered that one potential tourist vector continues to circumvent all of their attempts to attract people. If no one is going to come to Mexico to fish, then sure as Hell they don't want US-based boats to be able to fish there for free.

Maybe you should send the Mexicans one of Milton Friedman's books on economics? If you want less of something, tax it.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
The whole process is still in negotiations. The people on our side have our best interests at heart, and know more about the industry than most of the rest of us combined.

Who are THE PEOPLE?!
Nobody has my interest at heart like me!

Mexico is working with us to find a process that works for all.

US?
Must be you and the mouse in your pocket.

Anything said by people on this site is pure conjecture and rumor.

Thank You!
Process still in negotiations? BS! Rumor.
Best interest at heart? BS! Rumor.
Mexico is working with us? BS! Rumor.
Lots of good and knowledgeable people on this site! FACT!

No one nows how it will work out until it does. Be patient, we'll know soon.

I'm tired of people having their personal, business, financial, and political agendas cloud my radar.

AND one more thing, FUCK the mexican government!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
and still you use Mexican Flag colors in your yuletide greeting

For me and mine, those are Christmas colors.
If that's what they mean to you, that's fine, no worries here.
Have a great Holiday!

Upvote 0

frijolitos

cause I eat alot of beans
Oct 26, 2005
left coasting and on the slide
www.mexonline.com
Name
Kurt
Boat
23 grady, 16 Lund
said it before....looks like time to say it again.....fish the gulf and keep our $$$ here in the USA. but for those in cali.......good luck cause it sounds like some crap you have to go through just to get out and get fish. sucks to have to worry so much about a sport that we all love so much. I hope things get better out there

Upvote 0

rick marin

Nothing new here
Dec 24, 2006
lemon grove
Name
rick marin
Boat
H & M fleet
flo mar, the people working with the process on the U.S. side are members of the fishing industry with millions of dollars and there lives invested in sportfishing in Mexico. If you have some inside track on the negotiations go ahead and post that knowledge. If you don't, and you just want to complain, thats okay too. I do agree with you that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and they were the ones my post was for. Merry Christmas, and Good Fishing in the coming year.

Upvote 0

frijolitos

cause I eat alot of beans
Oct 26, 2005
left coasting and on the slide
www.mexonline.com
Name
Kurt
Boat
23 grady, 16 Lund
3 years ago the majority of people put their faith in "hope" and that didn't work out very well.................
I pray that things get better for you guys out there. I guess that "hopey changey thing" really isn't all that it was cracked up to be. May 2012 bring all the fish up the line that you guys need and maybe a good local season could take some pressure off of going south for alot of people

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
flo mar, the people working with the process on the U.S. side are members of the fishing industry with millions of dollars and there lives invested in sportfishing in Mexico.

I would hope they're part of the fishing industry.
We saw what millions of dollars just bought us, the FN MLPA rammed up our butts.

If you have some inside track on the negotiations go ahead and post that knowledge. If you don't, and you just want to complain, thats okay too.

There's a few tracks I race on and I still do not have the inside track.
You say complain, I say feedback.

I do agree with you that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and they were the ones my post was for. Merry Christmas, and Good Fishing in the coming year.

Very noble of you.

Back to business.
When you tell people OTHERS have their best interest at heart that's a pipe dream.
The only thing you care about, at least this is my perception from your feedback, is making sure Mexico is open for the Sandy Eggo boats to venture across the border to fish.
At what price though?
Being the Mexican government is starved for tourism at the moment you do not have what they need.
They want tourist $$$$$ on land more than they want tourist $$$$$ on the water.
On the water $$$$$ are a drop in the bucket.
Good Luck, you'll need more then this though . . a lot more!

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted on the forum. I hope all are well. My nephews Frank and Anthony, Captains of the Dominator recently informed me of this issue which has prompted me to post my thoughts on this.

After some research on my part, I believe that this new Visa and Fee requirement may violate NAFTA and various other international treaties between the United States and Mexico. I was quite surprised to see that no one on this thread had made the suggestion to call their Congressman on this issue. I believe that is exactly what we need to do.

I have already contacted Congressman Duncan Hunter who is our US Representative requesting assistance from his office in dealing with this issue that not only effects Commercial boats, but also recreational boaters as well. We elect our Representatives for this reason, so we need to put them to work when an issue comes up.

There is no question that only the United States can sign any deal or treaty with another nation as it is written into our constitution that way. We know there are numerous treaties in place for the fisheries as well as free trade like NAFTA, so even if SAC negotiates or represents us at the table, they could not sign a binding agreement between the two nations.

Don't get me wrong, I think SAC is a great representative and deserves credit for their advocacy on our behalf. In fact, I have asked Congressman Duncan Hunter's office to contact SAC to get up to date with this issue.

Before anyone posts saying that Mexico can do what they want in their waters and we just need to deal with it, I would say that is true for the most part and definitely true regarding protection of their marine habitat. That however is not the issue here. The issue here is an immigration and inter nation laws as they pertain to the transportation of passengers and crew, both of which I believe are included in NAFTA.

As an example of how this issue impacts current US Immigration law and policy, a vessel that leaves a US Port and travels to the waters of a foreign country but never enters a foreign port, is considered as never having left the US and not required to clear customs upon arrival in port. Now if that same vessel has to get a Visa from Mexico just to enter their waters, the vessel has declared to Mexico that it entered their country. Should the US vessel now be required to go through customs and if they don't could they be fined when US Homeland Security discovers numerous Visa's from Mexico saying that you entered their country when in reality you only entered their waters.

Another issue that comes to mind has to do with air travel. Do the crew and passengers of a plane flying over Mexican waters but not planning to land in Mexico required to obtain a Visa as well. Technically, Mexico controls the airspace in the same manner that they control their waters.

Again, this is not a fishing issue as such because that is taken care of by getting a fishing license. The license authorizes the purchaser to fish in their waters. Mexico can regulate their fisheries through that licensing process. Requiring a Visa however is not a fishing issue and involves numerous treaties between the US and Mexico on many issues. Those treaties are what need to be looked at.

I would encourage all of you to get involved by contacting your Representative for your District and voice your opinion on the matter and ask them to assist in resolving it for you, their constituent. That is what you elect them for, put them to work for you as they are elected to do.

If you don't know who your elected representatives are in San Diego, you can go to this website to find out and contact them.

The contact for Congressman Duncan Hunter in the 52nd District can be found here.

Take care,

Salvatore B. D'Anna

Uhh, NAFTA is a trade agreement. Has nothing to do with tourist visas.

This is all about a fight over dwindling fishing tourist dollars: Baja Sur vs Baja Norte. Baja Sur wants to bolster dwindling tourist fishing dollars by sticking it to the San Diego fleet, thereby forcing those who still wish to fish in Baja to do so via fly down trips.

Upvote 0

alex3012red

Almost A Member
Dec 2, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Alex
Boat
21 trophy/ yamaha outboard
i think this has to do with homeland security, here in the states, as the U.S gov. is helping out mexico with new equipment to fight the drug wars and asking them to keep more track of who enters their country. I really don't think they will enforce this as they only have the mex. navy enforcing water laws, as long as you have your passport you should be o.k, if you go down further into the mainland of mexico you will need the tourist visa, as always....

Upvote 0

Tues

Not my job...
Mar 17, 2008
Saluki
Name
Penis
FloMar: You are in more dire need of a blow job than any white man in history of BD.

It's not your country...relax and don't go.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
FloMar: You are in more dire need of a blow job than any white man in history of BD.

It's not your country...relax and don't go.

You're right it's not my country, but that won't stop me from commenting on and/or providing feedback on what I want to comment on and/or provide feedback on.

Thanks for offering, I don't go both ways.

Relax? It's the relaxed mode that put California into the various fishing Clusterfucks it finds us all in!

Just continue to sit back and throw darts at the board from afar.

A lotta help you were.

Upvote 0

saldanna

Nov 13, 2008
Spring Valley, CA
Name
Salvatore D'Anna
Boat
Dominator
Uhh, NAFTA is a trade agreement. Has nothing to do with tourist visas.

This is all about a fight over dwindling fishing tourist dollars: Baja Sur vs Baja Norte. Baja Sur wants to bolster dwindling tourist fishing dollars by sticking it to the San Diego fleet, thereby forcing those who still wish to fish in Baja to do so via fly down trips.

NAFTA not only deals with physical product, it includes services as well. Sport Fishing is a service. Owners of Sport fishing vessels run a business. Fishing in another country's waters requires a fishing license. Entering Mexican waters is not the same as entering their port, IE port of entry. Requiring fishing vessels entering Mexican waters to pay for a visa in addition to a fishing license is a barrier to free trade given the fact that the US has no such requirements for Mexican vessels fishing in our waters.

If a foreign vessel enters a US port with a foreign national onboard and no visa, that person will not be allowed to leave the vessel and the owner can be fined. But only if they enter a US port. A vessel leaving a US port and enters foreign waters is not considered by the US as ever having left the US and is not required to go through customs.

NAFTA promotes the free trade of goods and services between the two countries. I believe that by charging a fee to enter their waters other than a fishing license imposes a burden on free trade and violates NAFTA.

Maybe I am wrong, but it is my US Representative in Washington's job to find out and to fight for my rights if warranted and I for one am going to make sure they do the job they were elected to do on my behalf.

Upvote 0