Mexican Visa For Fishing - IS THIS TRUE

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by phish8226, Nov 27, 2011.

1. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    I did call Seaforth and was told, as of yesterday, they had nothing "In writing" from the Mexican Govt.

That is all they know for sure at this time.

2. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Every country has different visa requirements. Almost every country in the world requires a visa from most visitors to permit them to enter. This includes the United States, where visitors from Canada and some European nations do not require visas, but jut about everyone else does. According the this page from the State Department Website, the cost for simply applying for a tourist (visitor) visa is $140:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html

Anyone trying to get a visa pays this processing fee, whether or not they are ultimately granted a visa. For residents of some countries, there is also a fee to issue the tourist visa.

In April of this year, Mexico passed a considerably revised Immigration Law, which includes significant changes from the previous version. Many of the provisions of the new law may be seen to be to the advantage of US tourists (including anglers), while some others are less clear.

The people who have commented that the fleet hasn't seen anything in writing yet are correct, and they have also really hit the nail on the head, though they may not realize it. The law was passed in April, but Mexico has not yet published the REGULATIONS that will govern how that law is actually applied.

OK, make it simple. The law defines what is legal and what is illegal, but only in general terms, and says very little about how the provisions it contains shall be implemented. Thus, the law acts only as a framework on which the Immigration Agency builds a structure of regulations. The requirements with which visitors will have to comply are determined by the regulations.

For the past six months, the Mexican Immigration Agency has been drafting and polishing the new set of regulations. Those regulations are scheduled to be published TOMORROW, and go into effect the next day, December 1st.

We may THINK we know what's coming, we may even have a pretty damned good idea, but until we see what they actually publish, we can't be 100% sure.

One thing I can tell you for certain is that the Immigration Agency is crafting the regulations under orders from the Office of the President to try to stimulate tourism. They desperately want more people to visit Mexico, to stay longer, and to return more frequently. That is especially true for areas such as Baja California (what we gringos call Baja Norte), where the drop off in tourism has created real and pervasive hardship.

Honestly, there are a lot of different opinions within the Ministries of Tourism and Immigration about what will be good for tourism and what won't, and some of the ideas I have heard seem to completely miss the point as far as I'm concerned. But I know that everyone involved is sincere in their desire to increase visits to Mexico. Until I see the regulations, though, I won't know how it really shakes out.

So, you ask, what do you have to do with any of this, Rodless? Honestly, maybe nothing at all. I talk to people, and they seem to listen, but I am not sure how much of an impact I have really had on the changes. I can tell you this:

A. There are a couple of things about the new law that I have been advocating to the Immigration Agency for a long time. The fact that the law includes (or omits!) those provisions is encouraging to me. It makes it seem as though someone in Mexico City has been listening to someone on our side. I can't say for sure it was me to whom they have been listening, though.

B. I know some of the people who have been drafting the regulations, including a couple of the ones who are in charge of the process. I have had good conversations with them, and they have seemed receptive to the points I've made. At this point, though, I really don't know if I have done any good there.

C. Everything that's happening now is a part of a process. It looks like there will be a mechanism put in place in just a couple of days that will make it possible for San Diego boats to fish in Mexican waters in compliance with Mexican law, and should---at least in theory---make further visits to Ensenada unnecessary for boats that want to fish at, for example, Isla Guadalupe. It probably won't be perfect, or even close to perfect. It will certainly cause some people to groan out loud, and may even get some folks to scream in anguish, but it looks like it will be a place to start.

In closing, remember that starting a bit over three years ago, the Mexican Government came to the startling conclusion that all of our boats entering Mexican waters to fish had been doing so illegally, basically for 50 years. That has been a sword hanging over the heads of all of the boats ever since. This new law and the regulations that stem from it will pretty much rectify that situation. There will be a mechanism for US sport anglers to legally be in Mexican waters to fish. In a really meaningful way, that is a big step in the right direction.

That's how I see it.

3. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Wow so a 3/4 trip is now 300 vs 100 if this holds up. Holy shit. Who is going to pay that? I'll fish the damn bay until the fish come in then stay in US water offshore.

4. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Thanks for the insights. Very well written.

5. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    x 2... I hope we can get another update that's as understandable after all this shakes out...!

6. mafrancis66

mafrancis66 Member

Name:
    Mark Franics
    Boat:
    Sold it!
    X2

7. This will be a really good thing if we don't have to check in at Ensenada anymore before heading to Guadalupe.

8. 2MAYEtoes

2MAYEtoes Mackerel Maker

Name:
    Cristin Kelly
    Boat:
    Privateer
    Pretty much. It would be like $100ish for ticket, $9 for permit (if you don't have yours) & $30 for visa, $50-75 for fish cleaning and tip, $10 for JP, plus $100 for beer-I mean galley tab.
    :drunk

9. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Tourist cards are good for 6 months... What did you think was going to happen when they stopped requiring boat permits??? :D

10. Tvdan

Tvdan Captain

Name:
    Dan Hernandez
    Boat:
    Mi Sueno
    Yep, I'm hearing the same thing from the landings too, it starts on 12/1, its the same fee you pay everytime you fly from the US into Mexico, they also charge you this when you drive past Ensenada. I just got one the other day and it says it's good for 30 or 45 days? I need to check it.

11. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Meetings are going on today. I should know more tonight or in the AM.

All I was told is there is "lot's of misinformation floating around"

Stand by to stand by.

12. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    If an undocumented immigrant formerly of Mexico, but now is living in the United States wants to go fishing in Mexican waters, do they have to pay $30 for the Visa? Because technically they are citizens of Mexico which would mean that they are not being a toursist when visiting their own country.

13. laderwell

laderwell Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    22ft CC invader
    Mike,
    outstanding question

14. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Wow, the ultimate MLPA. Make it stupid expensive and then use your military to enforce it.

15. phantom1

phantom1 Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for the write up and all your time and effort on this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

16. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Just so you folks know, I have been in Tampa visiting relatives, and have not heard anything of substance on this issue for a while. I am traveling back to Mexico today. The new regs are also supposed to be published today, and when I get a chance, I will see what I can find in the original Spanish version.

I know what I expect to find, but I should not be the primary source of information. Ken Franke and Michelle Gandola at SAC have really been working their tails off on this. They have attended meetings on the ground in Baja California to which I wasn't invited, and have information to which I am not privy.

SAC will tell everyone what is up, what is the real, true story, just as soon as they have it in paper in front of them.

What do I expect? Based on what I have been told, we have exchanged a big problem for a somewhat smaller, if annoying one. All of us who have fished in Mexican Territorial waters have been entering and exiting Mexico illegally all along. According to the law, we should have been passing Immigration going in and coming out on ANY trip fishing inside of 12 nautical miles. We got away with it for a long, long time, but once Mexico realized that this was a violation---and according to their laws, it always was a violation---they had to do something about it.

Now, I think everyone who fishes in Mexican waters will be required to have a Visitor Visa. The new law says that those visas are good for 180 days, but may only be used for a single entry and a single exit. They are called "single use" visas for that reason. The cost of each visa is given in the law, in pesos. What we pay for them will depend on a couple of factors, including how we are allowed to buy them, and the current exchange rate between the dollar and the peso. I have an idea of what that system may look like, but in this case, we all really need to wait for what SAC has to say on the matter. Anything I could say here regarding process or costs would be speculative, and counterproductive.

What I think is that we will all have to buy a visa each time we want to fish. The cost of that visa wil be the same whether a trip is for 3/4 of a day, or 23 days, or whatever. It's a flat fee. Also, given what we all already pay to fish, the added cost, even for a short trip, is actually pretty small in my opinion.

I should know more from the Mexican side in just a couple of days. I am 100% sure that SAC will make a more definitive announcement about what the new regulations mean for fishing before I have any more information.

Everyone take a deep breath. I'll check in when I know more.

17. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Don't you think that the Mexican gov. can see that the new restrictions to fishing in our waters are going to create a greater demand for fishing in their waters? It's just economics, nothing else... Annex Baja now!!!:rofl:

18. finaddict1

finaddict1 Newbie

Name:
    Asher Berlan
    Boat:
    Finaddict
    If we annex Baja, then it becomes a U.S. Possession, and the citizens there have a right to move into and live in the USA.

It would never pass.

Asher - Finaddict

19. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    Just Annex baja, claim it for the US and relocate all the locals. They've done it so often in the past why change now? LOL

20. SCUMRAFT

SCUMRAFT Get off the Mic

Name:
    Cleetus
    Boat:
    ScumRaft
    That there is the truth son!