Mexicali to San Quintin and back

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
We crossed at Mexicali east gate Friday morning around 9 and stopped to get our tourist visas My wife's mother did not have her passport because she sent it in with her renewal application way back in February. So we had her stay in the car while the three of us went in to the immigration office and got visas. The lady was very helpful and never asked us why we were going to Mexico.
Because I parked in the secondary when I got back to my truck two border officers asked me for registration and proof of Mexican insurance. I'm driving my new 2017 Tundra, it still has paper plates and a temp registration. After talking back and forth and asking me a bunch of questions which I had no idea what they were saying they said " Okay you can go ".
We decided to take the 5 down to the 3 above San Felipe and cross over to Ensenada.
The military checkpoints at the turnoff to the 3 and the one just south of Ensenada waved us through. They all were wearing masks and so were we.
We arrived in San Quintin around 3:00pm with no glitches because of covid. The only difference from every other Baja trip was people wearing masks. About the same ratio of wearing or not wearing as in the US.
After fishing with Capt. Juan for two days we left Monday morning and headed to Tecate. The border was closed so we headed to Mexicali.
After 3 hours inline we came up to the booth. I handed the BP officer our passports and the MIL's Arizona ID card and told him she had sent hers in in February. He said "no worry's". He checked us out on his computer asked for Truck registration. Couple minutes later we were on our way back to Prescott, AZ.
16 hour drive from SQ to home.
All in all a typical Baja trip

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Was in Cabo last week. The place was very thin on tourists. What was very noticeable was it was difficult to find anyone NOT wearing a mask.

Glad to hear it was a smooth trip for you.

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Thanks for info, wouldn't it be shorter to take toll road across , just looks shorter ? Live in california hi desert, was thinking of that route to miss traffic going down though San Diego TJ. Thanks again

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    It is shorter to take toll road. We just like going that way.
    Google maps showed it as somewhere around 100km farther taking the 5 down to the 3 above San Felipe.
    We wanted to avoid Tecate. Either way you still have to go through Ensenada.