PENN

capt bly

Jul 21, 2011
crest, ca red wht blue
Name
matt Johnson
Boat
Bly Express
Is anyone buying the visa, I was out at the islands two weeks ago & haven't bought one yet. Yet I haven't been checked. Let me know what most of you guys are doing?

Upvote 0

BAJA FISCHER

Almost A Member
Apr 27, 2007
Encinitas
Name
Cap'n Dan
Boat
KeyWest 2300 Bluewater "Cap'n Atun II"
Bought my first one today at Dana so I could leave early and fish the Islands on Saturday. The crazy thing is, there's no place on the form to put the date that it's valid (date you want it to be effective in Mex waters). The guy at the landing said many guys aren't buying these, and those that are, are just keeping the one they have (so in their possession if/when they're ever asked for it..). The landing writes down the date in their books when they sell a visa, but the Mex Navy would have to check with them to see when the visas was valid.

But then just this evening, I logged onto Fish Dope and they said that boats need to check in with the Mex Tourist Assist boat anchored in the Lee of South island to get the visa "Stamped". Wouldn't printing a "date" box on the form emilminate all this B.S.? And, this is a private company. Why the hell would they invest the time and resources to have a boat stationed 24/7 at the Islands to stamp a government visa? I know they sell them (the obvious answer..) But this whole thing screams Corruption if you ask me. These guys sell the visas, and they're the only one enforcing them? They have no choice then but to put a boat there and stamp them, because no one would ever buy a second one otherwise.
I know you're supposed to "turn-in" the form when you return but no one is really collecting those and keeping track of that data. Nerver turned in the regualr visa I use every summer (for the past 13 summers) to travel to southern Baja, and they always issue me a new one each year.

One word: MEXICO!
Here's the link to the new rule on stamping visas..(bottom of the page)
http://www.mxtourassist.com/faqs-mexican-immigration.php

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
What im doing to avoid all this BS is not taking my boat into Mexican waters at this time.

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
I think this Visa BS is a tree hugger scam to keep us of the water........

Lets go fishing.......

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
M&M Candy
I checked the pages inside my USA Passport and it has the word "VISAS" on each page... so why the F**k can't Mexico just put a stamp on those pages, like they used to? Oh, never mind... it's MEXICO :shithappens:

Upvote 0

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic (sold) Pursuit 2350 FreeSwimmer
Three things jump out at me from a topic that has been rehashed for 6+ months. 1) It is not a visa. The FMM is an entry permit. 2) Discover Baja will not sell the FMM entry by sea because they have been told by the Mexican Dept. of Immigration it is not legal without the stamp. 3) Now this new wrinkle from MX tourassist, after the fact, opens a new can of worms. If this vessel on the lee side of South Island does in fact have a Mexican Official from Immigration onboard to supposedly stamp these previously purchased FMM's.............then OUR govt. can correctly (?) state that our boat has met a foreign vessel at sea. Even if it is registered CF or documented it is still preforming a Mexican govt. function. So, by the current law, that vessel getting their FMM stamped is now required to go through U.S. Customs and all the previous years headaches. Or not?

And why doesn't some of the sportboats require the FMM from passengers any longer? Does SAC have some sort of understanding that is not public? What does the BD yellowtail shootout recommend?

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
The one thing that stands out to me is in the original press release from the Mexican government is that nothing has changed. These Mex assist clowns paid some low to mid level official off to try and make a buck. The sport boats are not buying visas and I am not until we get some enforcement from the mexican government and not some private bullshit boat with a stamp.

I did some math and there were about 10k in visa money at the islands Saturday.

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
M&M Candy
I did some math and there was about $10,000,000 worth of the "magic puff" on the South Island, waiting to be transported to the streets of USA and $20,000,000,000 worth of live Yellowfin Tuna, in the "Pens" (TJ to Cabo to The Sea of Cortez) waiting to be transported to the Sushi Market of Japan.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
It would be nice to know what the real rules are....this so crazy......

I will not go to Mexico with my boat until it is figured out........

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
The real rules are nothing has changed. You still just need a mexican fishing license to fish the island. Nothing from immigration or armada de Mexico yet. Ken Franke should resign his position for putting out the press release and letting MX tourist assist push him around. :shithappens::_diarrhea_::finger:

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
The real rules are nothing has changed. You still just need a mexican fishing license to fish the island. Nothing from immigration or armada de Mexico yet. Ken Franke should resign his position for putting out the press release and letting MX tourist assist push him around. :shithappens::_diarrhea_::finger:
So your saying No visa or FMM or whatever it is ??????????:waglleybooty:

Upvote 0

MateoFeo

Mucho Take it Easy
  • Aug 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    19' CC
    Just be glad you not a Mexican that wants to fish in American waters. If it were all easy and straight forward EVERYONE would go. I'm glad it's not. Then again, I just drive south and then fish where the fishing is actually good.

Upvote 0

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
    I used my VISA the other day and bought $100 worth of gas to fish the islands. Brought my mexican fishing license and some American sardines to land this 30lber. We also fished calico inside the main cove on the lee of the south island, never saw this supposed stamp boat out there.

Every time I have ever been pulled over on or off the water in baja, while breaking no laws and possesing all the right paperwork, it has always cost me money.

I will continue to fish Mexican waters WITHOUT this ridiculous visa. Bad enough we are getting fleeced by the gas man. Mexican law enforcement.....hilarious.

2012-06-02_09-01-28_535-1.jpg

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Just be glad you not a Mexican that wants to fish in American waters. If it were all easy and straight forward EVERYONE would go. I'm glad it's not. Then again, I just drive south and then fish where the fishing is actually good.

What does this have to do with what we are discussing here....We only want to know what the rules , regulations , laws,and or codes ARE.. so we can abide by them.....

Is that a lot to ask........I guess it is......:rofl:

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Don't buy the visa, save your money and keep reading bloody decks you will know wright away if anything happens.

Yeah that may be true.... but it will be after the fact... and could be costly to that person or persons....

Upvote 0

Where'sMyBeer

Feb 26, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Where'sMyBeer
    Boat
    Yes
    Isn't this thread sorta counterproductive?

Like .. people are bending the rules or saying fuck it all together ... so let's keep it quiet on a well read public internet forum who's topics mostly cover the US/Mex border area? Ha ha that makes sense.

I'll def have a pen handy to date my visa when needed - but until then :finger:

This entire thread should be deleted. :-)

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Isn't this thread sorta counterproductive?

Like .. people are bending the rules or saying fuck it all together ... so let's keep it quiet on a well read public internet forum who's topics mostly cover the US/Mex border area? Ha ha that makes sense.

I'll def have a pen handy to date my visa when needed - but until then :finger:

This entire thread should be deleted. :-)

Why ....because you say so......

This is Bloody Decks.....everything here is always counter productive....well 75% of the time.....:rofl:

Upvote 0

Laukia

boss
    Nov 30, 2004
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Dave R
    Boat
    28' Carolina Classic (sold) Pursuit 2350 FreeSwimmer
    I'll def have a pen handy to date my visa when needed

It doesn't matter when it's dated because it's not stamped..

It's a classic catch-22. The statement from the Mexican Consulate was that this is in fact not a change in the Mexican regs regarding the FMM's, but rather a change in enforcement (yet to be seen). If going strictly by the wording of the regs then entry by sea would have to be stamped/validated in Ensenada. That would in effect end sportfishing at the Coronados unless you were stopping on the return from Ensenada. I don't think that was the intent of the Mexican officials. So we are hearing this convoluted bullshit of stamping permits by a vessel, which is exactly.........what? Mexican official policy? MX tourassist private enterprise?

Upvote 0

beauzie

beauzie
    May 18, 2007
    Encino
    Name
    Beau
    Boat
    25' Wellcraft Sportsman - "Eloise"
    You wanna buy the FMM, go for it. Just remember, it's Mexico my friend, the Wild West(or in the case the Wild South). How much do those navy guys make, maybe $10 a day!? $20+/- and the problem is solved. If it's really a problem, ask them to tow you into Ensenada(they won't). They'd rather take your $20+/- and move on to the next gringo. I predict this BS won't last. This whole circus makes me even question getting a mexican fishing license. Mexican Law=Oxymoron

Upvote 0