I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
What your opinion on these motors? I noticed lots of boats come with Mercury
Motors, but then I hear horror stories about servicing and diagnostics. I'm looking to buy a new boat , but don't want to be stuck with a motor nobody works on. Thanks for your input!

FWebb

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 24, 2012
Cave Creek/AZ/USA
Name
Forrest
Boat
Ranger Z521 w/Yami SHO 250
I have had several boats with Mercury motors and was very happy with them. Last year I bought a new boat with the Yamaha SHO 250 on it and absolutely love the motor (and the boat). I doubt you will have a problem finding service for the Mercs but I would definitely look at the Yamis before buying.

East Side

Certified Masterb8er
Feb 16, 2010
Kaneohe
Name
James
Boat
23' Custom, Caroline II
Honda in my experience has had way too much problems with the cooling system. Low circulation once the crust builds ------->overheats

Yamaha is where it's at right now.

As FWebb said above it sure is easy to find someone to service your Merc's.......when you live in CALIFORNIA that is. :rofl:

BG11

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 1, 2012
KAILUA-KONA
Name
BG
Boat
SMALL KINE BOAT
Yeah, Yamaha is definitely it. Ran into too many issues with 60hp Merc BF on my Whaler. Got the new 70hp Yamaha, great product and even better warranty. Yamaha is where its at..

untensan

Jan 30, 2010
Kealakekua
Name
Terry
Boat
21' Seacat CC
IIRC, my friend Kenichi, owner of Ken's Marine Boat, http://www.ken-marine.gr.jp/, is a Yamaha dealer in Japan, said that the smaller Yamaha's were being made in China and didn't have the tolerences like the larger motors. On his advise, I repowered from Honda 50s to Yamaha 60 HTs. I went from trips that were cut short due to engine problems to not worrying about my motors. Kenichi's "Hawaii Boat" is a Mako 213 with a Yamaha 150. none of our motors have given us any problems. IIRC, the 150 is a modified Mazda block. I have no reservations in recommending Yamahas. Oh yeah, his 2 boats in Japan are running Yanmars.

Da.Ching808

Nov 7, 2011
Kaneohe, HI / Tacoma, WA
Name
Chris
Boat
RH Boat Pro V16
It all take care proper, flush proper with salt away and clean motor very well.. My buddy have no problem with mercury outboard and other buddies with Honda efi no problem too..

When u say crust and overheat.. Sound like u don't take care and flush well

East Side

Certified Masterb8er
Feb 16, 2010
Kaneohe
Name
James
Boat
23' Custom, Caroline II
It all take care proper, flush proper with salt away and clean motor very well.. My buddy have no problem with mercury outboard and other buddies with Honda efi no problem too..

When u say crust and overheat.. Sound like u don't take care and flush well
Flushed for 15mins after every use.
Lets just say i'll never get another honda (anything).

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I have heard great things about Evinrude etecs - lots of torque, designed from the ground up for salt water etc.

Da.Ching808

Nov 7, 2011
Kaneohe, HI / Tacoma, WA
Name
Chris
Boat
RH Boat Pro V16
East side.. I think everyone Lucky or not lucky.. I love Yamaha and evinrude and mercury... But Yamaha is best one and easy repair and i believe cheap parts ?

LA I KU

Nov 11, 2010
Makaha
Name
Earl
Boat
LA I KU 21' Proline
the best u can do before you purchase any engine here on Oahu is find a qualified technician. my previous merc 2000 150 Optimax w/less than 1200 hrs cost me well over 4k before i made the decision change. i called the factory to find a factory qualified tech, took the engine to him. he diagnosed rust in one cylinder, high carbon deposits in another and couldn't start the engine. he recommended new power head or engine replacement. i took it home reinstalled the spark plugs & it started easily. i researched for a qualified tech for Suzuki & found an excellent tech @ MI Marine. bought and installed there & extremely happy w/service & performance. just my experince, hope this helps

Dropper Loop

Hana hou!
Mar 9, 2011
Oahu
Name
Uncle B
Boat
24 Funai
I think it depends which model Mercury you are looking at. I know the 2004 115 4 stroke Merc was actually a Yamaha motor. Good motor.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
I have heard great things about Evinrude etecs - lots of torque, designed from the ground up for salt water etc.
Eric,
A few years ago I was in the market for a new outboard motor because my old Evinrude 50 with over 3000 hrs had finally decided to call it quits....Was kind of a blessing since it was a gas hog! At the time, all I was hearing about the Evinrude ETEC was nothing but negatives.....knew a few that had all kinds of issues with their ETEC....don't know any specifics but I personally didn't want to buy a motor that had to use 2 stroke oil. I went with a Suzuki 50 but would have gone with a 60 had it been available at the time (the 60hp came out a year later). I really like the gas economy and over all performance of my Suzuki....it's been around 3 years into this motor and virtually trouble free so far.

jd808

Jan 18, 2010
Kalama Valley, HI
Name
JD
Boat
24' Alii Kai "Goose"
I can personally vouch for Guy and Gavin at MI Marine. Gavin is certified Volvo Penta, and Guy is Suzuki outboards. Guy has decades in the business and says Suzuki is best outboard for the money right now hands down.

Aloha,
JD

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Don't rule out Yamaha. I repowered about 3 1/2 years ago with a Yamaha F115 and the motor has run flawless. All I did was change the motor and gear oils every 100 hrs, spark plugs twice, and some other occasional maintenance/cleaning. And get this, I just hit 1000 hrs... That's a winner in my book!

Also, if you are on Oahu, there are *two* Yamaha dealers now so even better. Windward boats in Kailua as usual and 808boats on Sand Island.

bob

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
Find a mechanic you know and trust. Ask what he can most easily get parts for and what he prefers to work on. Then go with that brand.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Thanks for the info. I think I will look at Suzuki or Yamaha. I have an etch and that's why I gotta change. Main problem with that motor is the high pressure fuel pump/separator. If the fuel runs dry in the motor for any reason, the blatter will rupture and the motor can't be restarted. I've been towed in twice and I have had the motor for only three years. Not only that, nobody will work on that motor and the people that do are unreliable. I've left messages for juju at Lanikila and no reply, I bought the motor from Bayside and they have had my boat for three weeks now. No fix in sight yet. Had to wait three weeks to get it into the shop. Slightly frustrating.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
everyone has their stories etc - I threw a rod at 4 k rpms on a 5 yr old honda 90 - I had bad experiences w/a Yamaha 115 - very unreliable etc from new - I have heard great things about evinrude etecs - if you want to talk to a couple of dealers the distributor Mid Pacific Marine can refer you to some

tight lines,

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Good decision to choose between Suzuki or Yamaha. Both are reliable motors and more importantly you can get local service from more than one dealer. The last thing you want is to have your boat stuck at the shop for weeks or having to wait for the tech to have some time to look at a problem.

Also, at certain times of the year, there are usually promotions from Suzuki and Yamaha which offer either rebates or an extended 6 year warranty for free. I got a 6 year warranty on mine and am super happy.

Bob

Sep 20, 2011
Maui
Name
Ziggy
Boat
Alii Kai
I have yamaha 90's 4 str. 1 no problems yet the other bad wire harness, thanks to kona coast marine flying to Maui and diagnosing the problem,now 1 year later 2 motors trouble free..knock on wood. Very happy w/the motors

Hebby

Jul 13, 2011
Torrance, CA U.S.A.
Name
Graham Hebson
Boat
1990 Jersey 36 - Teaser
I have 2 1994 mercury 200hp black max motors with 1850 hours on them and they run great. I was talking to my mechanic to see if he can service Yamaha motors and he said no problem as Yamaha builds the mercury outboards now and are very similar. I can't vouch for the newer models but I am happy with my old ones. Just not happy with their fuel consumption. It's atrocious.