PuraPesca

If I'm not Fishing I'm working
Apr 28, 2020
SoCal
Name
Alex
Boat
Mako 214
Had a chance to get on the water today after sitting out a few weeks. I have a 2019 Mercury 225 which was serviced about 2 months ago. I get on the water today and noticed slight shaking. As the morning went on I noticed that the shaking was present at 10 knots or less and at idle. Cut the day short and pulled the boat out. The shaking is intermittent but more often than not. Only thing that is crossing my mind is a dirty fuel filter. There was very little debris in the fuel that was pulled out of the filter. Not enough to be of concern but I swapped out it anyway. New fuel filter is in and still bucking.The motor ran fine before serivce. Any suggestion on what else I should be looking at ? Here is a short video...

Attachments

• IMG_3860.mov
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Sounds like a partially blocked fuel injector.

This is what I have done in the past to fix mine. I use Seafoam fuel treatment (Walmart or any auto store). I start the engine on the hose and get it warm. I then remove the fuel line where it is convenient and jam your fuel line that heads toward the motor into the can of Seafoam. Start the engine and the Seafoam should start to get sucked out of the can. When the can is empty, reattach your fuel line and let the motor idle. When the Seafoam reaches the fuel injectors, the motor will start to smoke bad. Shut it off and let it sit for an hour or so. You now have the cleaner insde your injectors doing its magic. After you let it sit, it will be a little hard starting, but it will start. Don't forget to turn on the hose! Goose the throttle a few times as the seafoam will continue to do its magic. When the smoke clears, the problem should be fixed. This has worked for me and my friends lots of times. It is a cheap and easy first try to fix it.

timedjohnson

Mouth breather
Aug 14, 2009
Venice, ca
Name
Tim
Boat
Nokaoi 26
My new 200 was doing something similar - even sputtered and died once - upon inspection my racor filter assembly was leaking a little fuel - turns out the metal head of the assembly was pretty corroded and not getting a good seal. I replaced the whole thing and seems to have fixed the issue so it could be an air leak somewhere

PuraPesca

If I'm not Fishing I'm working
Apr 28, 2020
SoCal
Name
Alex
Boat
Mako 214
Sounds like a partially blocked fuel injector.

This is what I have done in the past to fix mine. I use Seafoam fuel treatment (Walmart or any auto store). I start the engine on the hose and get it warm. I then remove the fuel line where it is convenient and jam your fuel line that heads toward the motor into the can of Seafoam. Start the engine and the Seafoam should start to get sucked out of the can. When the can is empty, reattach your fuel line and let the motor idle. When the Seafoam reaches the fuel injectors, the motor will start to smoke bad. Shut it off and let it sit for an hour or so. You now have the cleaner insde your injectors doing its magic. After you let it sit, it will be a little hard starting, but it will start. Don't forget to turn on the hose! Goose the throttle a few times as the seafoam will continue to do its magic. When the smoke clears, the problem should be fixed. This has worked for me and my friends lots of times. It is a cheap and easy first try to fix it.

Spark plugs looked fouled out so ran the seafoam through, smoked her up, ran it a few and put new plugs in. No shake no rattle Like New ! Thanks for the help !

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Your welcome. Most people are in disbelief that something so simple and cheap can work so well. Pass on the info when ever you can so it will save them an expensive trip to the mechanic. Seafoam poured in the fuel can help to alleviate a problem in the future.