trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
I may be looking at the reality of replacing my exhaust pipe due to corrosion. I'm going to confirm the source of a small trickle of water running down the transom into the bilge while the engine is running on the earmuffs over this weekend. I'm assuming its a corroded pipe due to the age of the boat but it may also be leaking at the flange gasket...we'll see. THE QUESTION, has anybody ever had luck removing the exhaust pipe without pulling the motor??? This is a 4cyl mercruiser motor mated to an alpha 1 so it's not the more common "Y" pipe if that would make any difference. I'm not against pulling the motor as it would give me a chance to scrub down the engine compartment/bilge area and seal off some screw holes from previous bilge pump mounting points. For now I'm looking to be lazy and solve this quickly so I can get this "new to me" tub out on the water and fishing. It's only a day job to slide the motor out and replace the pipe but I'm just hopeful for that one magical response from someone that has done this before and didn't have to yank the motor. Thanks

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
I have always ended up pulling the motor for Y pipe replacement.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
Thanks for the reply Shad. Just came to that realization after work today. I was tossing around the idea of epoxy/j.b. weld just to put a few runs on the boat but after locating the leak I realized I cant reach it at all. Going to just pull the motor and put it on the stand and plug away at it over the winter. No more rush, now I can take my time and address a handful of things.