Memories of days gone by...what are some of yours

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Bud B, Sep 1, 2018.

1. jimm

jimm Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    You could drift the gap between Anacapa and Santa Cruz Island, without a fish finder, and load up on quality deep water cod.

Winter fishing in the Santa Monica Bay with live squid. Fish tiny little rock piles and get smoked by big sand bass.

Fish deep water canyons along the coast out of Santa Barbara and find wide open fishing on huge chuckle heads. Everyone is bit and it looks like they are pulling on yellows.

Fishing live mackeral for ling cod with Steve Kelly on the Island Tak.

Fishing on the Del Mar, out of Marina Del Rey Sportfising, for bluefin tuna at The Topanaga Bubbles. They called them"Cannon Balls".

Bonito and yellowtail in Redondo Harbor.

Winter squid fishing for calico bass at San Clemente Island. Boats out of San Pedro would fish all winter with boatloads of fisherman with long rods to load up on quality calico bass. Boats like The Pronto, Mustang, New Hustler II, Freedom, etc.

Fish Santa Barbara Island and load up with huge pre-historic looking sheephead.

Reliable sand bass fishing all summer long along the coast.

San Diego season would go as follows:

Spring time yellows at the Coronados and kelp paddies starting in about March.

Albacore in late June/Early July.

Big Eye into October. Damn those things would bite!

Sometimes yellowfin in the fall.

Wrap it up with yellowtail and bluefin at the Coronados.

Don Sansome, John Grabowski and Randy Toussaint running the Qualifier 105.

1000 fish days (yellowtail) at San Pablo.

Fishing the Revillagigedos Islands.

You learned about biting fish via a phone call, walking into a tackle shop, fish report in the LA Times or Western Outdoor News.

There was always this rumor of a commercial guy fishing at night, for white seabass, in La Jolla. I believe his name was Andy Saraspe. No one else was doing it.

You had to fish on the Dreamer to catch a white sea bass. No one else was doing it.

Any time Alan Fay and Greg Trompass fished together, they made historic catches. It was a magical combo.

ETC.

2. JeremyFishes

JeremyFishes Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy Eiler
    Boat:
    19' Trophy Center Console
    Okay, I am not as old as a lot of you guys seems to be, with your stories going back 20-40 years. But I do remember fishing on the Big Game 90 as a kid in summer of 2003 almost every trip. My dad was a deckhand and Irv (Rest in Peace) and Mike was extremely kind to my family. I was invited to fish and pinhead the boat the entire summer it seems. I was constantly on that boat fishing. I remember the Albacore was so thick and they just had a death wish. Albacore so damn crazy they were eating the deck hoses. I recall a trip where I grabbed a yo-yo outfit and had been gaffing my own albies on the bow because everyone was so stern crazy during the frenzies. I had 11 dead fish on the deck in a matter of minutes all by myself at like 12 years old. Those are the memories that keep me coming back. I can't wait for the day I get to take my kids out on the boats and watch them go bananas for tuna.

Chicago Pete, twotrack and freegaff2 like this.
  3. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Fishing brown baits for giant calicos.

Seeing my first foamer of big bluefin, racing a seiner to get on the school first, and the fish actually stayed up and wanted to play.

Yellowtail fishing so good at Cedros that JJ (Apollo) was making us release any fish under 30 lbs.

I need to get back out soon and make some more memories!

4. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    * Remembering when Mission Bay (the most Northern section) was lined with docks in front of many of the bay front homes.

* Fishing many of those docks as kids, with one dock in particular, which was the only dock to stay in place on Mission Bay after the city ordered all other docks to be removed. That one Dock we called "Buds Dock", as the guy who lived in the nice house there was named Bud, and his place was the central location and meeting/storage area for the Mission Bay Rowing club. Bud taught me and other kids how to fish Halibut in the Bay.

*Catching smelt in MB for bait using a spool of 3# test and tying a small gold trout treble hook on the bottom with another hook tied directly to the line 3 inches above. Crushing muscles that we pulled from the bottom of the docks and chumming up mass smelt in about 10 minutes and loading up on the 2 hook treble smelt rigs.

* Fishing Crystal Pier as a kid, and being stoked on catching Bonito on Bonito feathers. Also using the ball method mentioned by others in this thread. Seeing the yellows on occasion breezing by the pier, but never being able to connect.

* Being talked into (as a kid) and meeting up with a few others, and sneaking into Miramar lake and fishing an area very late at night from shore called "Poachers Cove". Did this twice, got chased in the dark once, and decided..... nah.... I'm over this LOL Live n learn right?

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Chicago Pete likes this.
  5. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Add the Shogun to this list as a boat that fished calicos at SCI. $60 overnight trips from 22nd Street Landing on the freaking Shogun! I miss those days...

It might have been LA Harbor. Man I'm losing my memory. lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  6. michael rivera

michael rivera Newbie

Name:
    Michael Rivera
    Boat:
    N/A
    Catching mini mackerel and smelt off the Newport pier on just a spinning reel and a bare sabiki rig (no rod) and giving them to the bonito fishermen for bait.

7. K.W.

K.W. Member

Name:
    KW
    Boat:
    S.S. Minnow
    It was LA Harbor

Jigslinger likes this.
  8. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    And the first string ,top gun ,and outer limits were sitting next to them....

rick Jackson and Jigslinger like this.
  9. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    I remember when fishing was fun and did not cost 1K to fill the fuel tank...

over and out...

10. Bud B

Bud B Fear the Kraken

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    Spotfin
    Old grizzled guys in flannel shirts and suspenders fishing wood handled rods with green corroded real seats and guides, (with one or two sporting electrical tape). Rods had permanent bends in them cause the old fiberglass back then did that if you leaned them up in a corner of a hot garage. Reels were half full of milky color mono (regardless of what it started out as) cause nobody changed their line till it got that way. You believed their fish stories without needing picture proof. But if your eyes got big enough and you muttered gee wiz mister, they would let that awe struck kid see the black and white photos taped inside the top of his well worn wood tackle box. Then he'd give you his favorite jig. And when you'd pick up yer sack of fish there would be a couple big yellow tails sticking out of it you did'nt catch. They were the drug dealers of my youth. Make an addict out of ya for life.

11. Paparockcal

Paparockcal Old Dude

Name:
    Rocky Latham
    Boat:
    N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
    I came to fishing saltwater after I came out of the Army in 1973 and found a job with Amoco Oil Refinery, Texas city, Texas in 1974. I had many fantastic days of fishing inshore and offshore during tournaments. I loved the things I would see offshore like giant Manta Rays, Whale Sharks, and the huge Red Snapper we caught winning that division several years running. That was thanks to our Captain who was a Red Snapper expert who could judge the fish within a couple of pounds from the returns of his color deep finder. We did not even fish for anything under 20 pounds. We filled a couple of 360 quart coolers every trip with 30 to 50 pound Amberjack, King Mackerel, Bonita, and one trip we caught a 73# Cobia plus some smaller ones. I particularly loved Dorado as I think they are such beautiful fish in the water and fun to catch.

I fished for Black Tip sharks out of my own boat then releasing most of them and keeping a couple for their fine table fare. My buddies hated Jack Carville because they broke their tackle while I loved them for the fight they put up and I used gear that would stand up to them. My friends were pure meat fisherman so if they could not eat them they did not want to catch it with the exception of giant Sting Rays during a tournament. The largest one we caught out of my boat was 218lbs.. I hooked a big one but it pulled the hook during the fight. What hooked me on saltwater fishing was where I fished of Galveston Island, Texas you never knew for sure what you would hook up to. That's why I was the first in my group to go to small to medium size lever drag 2-speed reels. Oh my buddies laughed at first until I was bringing in 6' plus sharks and big 20 pound plus Red Snapper in a fourth of the time it took them. Then they wanted to see my reels and my new Calstar and Seeker rods. :-)

12. kokanee

kokanee Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Fishing the Outer Limits overnight trips Saturdays in the 80’s. Gary Nordby giving us all a rain check when the bait pump quit in the night at Clemente and the squid died. That’s even though I got two big yellows on the dead bait. Another trip he gave a rain check because it was so rough we had to hide in the lee at Catalina. When some guys on deck were mumbling about our going in the bad weather Gary said “when you guys came on board with your tackle I thought you wanted to go fishing”.

rick Jackson likes this.
  13. PE Pete

PE Pete Tight lines PE Pete

Name:
    Pe Pete
    Boat:
    Quickbite
    One of my fondest memories was bashing back home in our 14ft tinie with my boy aged about 6. No fish in the bin and the run home taking about an hour. It was the middle of winter, raining and freezing cold. My son sitting next to me with my spare raincoat over his head completely covered. At one point I yelled to him "you ok mate" and I got this really emphatic thumbs up from under the coat...
    I laughed all the way home and we still have a laugh about it now.
    I hope I never loose that memory...

14. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    The list of Gary's classic quotes is as long as anyone who ever lived..

rick Jackson likes this.
  15. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Seemed like there were more local boats and landings and every landing had a boat that fished surface/calico bass. You cut your teeth doing that and learned how to flyline,fish iron,lures, squid. Day in day out you could get a calico trip from about anywhere south of Conception. If you were competent doing that it wasn't a big step to fishing everything else.
    I don't know if it's lack of fish or lack of interest,maybe both, but that's seemed to change over the years. Seems like now it's either rockfish or gamefish.

FishAcquisition likes this.
  16. calicobassguy

calicobassguy No pants on

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Bendo
    Coronado Islands late 60's. I twice witnessed a large school of yellowtail killing a blue shark. The yellows were ramming the two individual blue sharks at a very high speed from various angles. I do not have an explanation for the behavior but it was pretty awesome to witness! On both occasions, the boat that I was fishing on was the original Qualifier that was running from Fishermans Landing. The captain was Bruce Barnes.

17. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Hit the shark ,shark pukes, yellows eat...

18. Mark Riv

Mark Riv Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Minnow
    it was called Ports of Call Sport fishing back then

rick Jackson and Chicago Pete like this.
  19. Mtnfshr

Mtnfshr Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chuck Mc
    Boat:
    none
    I do not have an explanation for the behavior but it was pretty awesome to witness.

As was stated,hit shark,shark pukes,yellows eat. Typically when squid were on the flats spawning. I saw this behavior myself several times. Cool as shit to watch!

20. Dave Hansen

Dave Hansen Yoursaltwaterguide.com Advertiser

Name:
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat:
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    GOING TO THE END OF THE SAN CLEMENTE Pier CLIMBING DOWN THE OLD STEEL LADDER.GETTING IN THE SKIFF IN THE PITCH BLACK DARK .Still amazing that the captain's could find the BOATS back then..I was truly blessed to have been able to do that.That was truly the good old days...

bparker1225 likes this.