SwordfishGear.com
  • Feb 2, 2004
    So Cal
    www.SwordfishGear.com
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    25' Monterey
    I hope everyone had a happy Memorial weekend.

BFT fishing was tough this past weekend for everyone with plenty of fish in the zone but they seem focussed on red crab.

Ali had me come down south to add a few things on the SeaVee 340Z with triple Evinrude 300’s, and I got to tag along with the guys on a BFT trip. This SeaVee is on another level and the Evinrude’s really impressed me! They had plenty of torque to get this heavy boat on plane in quick order and easily pushed this sled at above average west coast speeds that put a big grin on all of our faces. This is the nicest center console that I’ve been on and the wiring I saw also looked on par. The stepped hull was nice and efficient as it averaged about 1 mpg while cruising and not much less at faster paces. It did a great job of cutting through the chop and felt real solid. The sea keeper was impressive while drifting and to my surprise was also utilized while running. It helped keep the stepped hull properly oriented for maximum efficiency.

The Simrad Electronics with dual NSS16 EVO3’s really compliment this boat and the Airmar B175 series transducers never skipped a beat paired up with the S5100.

Here you can see the biomass in all three frequency ranges and how different they look with no BFT in the shot.

full

Unfortunately fishing was a little scratchy, but the laughs were WO the whole day.
    Ali, Brett, Chris and Robert all worked to make it happen by scouting in the gyros, chumming, and fishing. I managed to hook a nice BFT on my new Okuma PCH rod rated for 20-50 with an Okuma 5s size reel. This rod had some nice action which helped greatly while fighting this fish.
    full

The reel felt well balanced, free spool was great, drags were smooth, the power handle felt great and provided plenty of torque to gain line.
    During the fight a freak thing happened with one guys hook on a tangle. My spectra ended up slipping into the eye of his ringed hook so we cut his line and let it dangle like a charm. Lol
    I tend to fish longer Fluorocarbon leaders and knew we would have an issue with
    my modified Albright knot not passing through the eye. Sure enough the connection kept me from reeling it through the rod tip, but the long rod with its backbone gave me enough leverage to pull it up for Ali to sink the gaff with a well placed headshot.
    full

Unfortunately no more BFT wanted to play and our bait situation wasn’t looking too good, so we cut the day short and headed back in. Ali did a great job of running the boat. The guys all worked together and were a blast to fish with. Thanks for letting me tag along and for putting us on the fish Ali.

If you want to see more about the 340z check out their shakedown video.

full

full

full

#Okuma #PhenixRods #AhcorOffshore #SimradYachting #ReliableFishing
    #ExpertMarineElectronics
    #BigGameHunters #AirmarTechnology
    #SimradEvo3 #LocalKnowledge #Evinrude #SeaVee #SeaKeeper#BloodyDecks #BDOutdoors #BluefinTuna #BFT

Upvote 0

rrhookup

Fish/Surf..A Way of Life
    Apr 30, 2004
    RB
    Name
    Romme
    Boat
    Farallon 25 "Midori", 16' Western skiff
    Nice BFT Serg!

Reactions: Surg
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Nice hit on that fish! Curious, 761H rod? How long was the fight approximately, using the belt? Did you guys ever have to motor up and chase that tuna with that small single speed? I whipped one to deep color of similar size in about 23-25 minutes, no belt and had a blast! Some say you need a two speed but I haven't found that to be true on a private boat. For bigger fish on a sportie though, I get it...

Upvote 0

Grandpa

Old Guy
  • Aug 15, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Albemarle Express "Lily Rose"
    That ride will spoil you getting to the BFT grounds.
    Nice fish Serg.
    No wonder I can't get you anymore...
    HaHa!

Upvote 0

Surg

SwordfishGear.com
  • Feb 2, 2004
    So Cal
    www.SwordfishGear.com
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    25' Monterey
    Hi Marcel

The rod used is a PCH-901-H rated for 20-50 that I was able to purchase at Fred Hall right when they discontinued them due to shipping complications... Looking back I should have bought two... I fish BFT on private boats a lot, and this fish wanted to die as it did everything to my advantage. Initially it had half the spool out but I was able to turn him and get about 90% of the line back by reeling like crazy. By the time it was under the boat I feel it had it's will broken and brought it to gaff fairly shortly.
    The estimated total time was probably about 20 min.

Single speeds are still very capable reels, and we have gotten some larger models on them too. I hooked this one and coached a buddy on the fight of it. We did have to back down on this one and used my cheater rig to rest the rod on... lol, hooked on 80# to 80#...

full

full

Another one comes to mind that was 86#'s on 40# test that took 1.5 hours.

There's many variables as every fish has a different personality along with angler capability.

Nice hit on that fish! Curious, 761H rod? How long was the fight approximately, using the belt? Did you guys ever have to motor up and chase that tuna with that small single speed? I whipped one to deep color of similar size in about 23-25 minutes, no belt and had a blast! Some say you need a two speed but I haven't found that to be true on a private boat. For bigger fish on a sportie though, I get it...

Reactions: kuyamonster
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Nice report! That boat will get you where you want to be - yesterday. :cheers:

Did you guys realize you all have the same sunglasses on? LOL

Upvote 0

ezlimitz

My biggest YFT caught in PV.
    Aug 8, 2003
    San Diego
    www.writemyoffer.com
    Name
    Terry Dyer
    Boat
    Had a few but it's been a while.
    that's are pretty awesome video........if anyone knows re: sea keeper.....how does it improve the ride @ 30knts? my simple mind tells me the boat is moving faster than the seakeeper can adjust?

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    that's are pretty awesome video........if anyone knows re: sea keeper.....how does it improve the ride @ 30knts? my simple mind tells me the boat is moving faster than the seakeeper can adjust?
    The gyro adjusts in real time. If the boat is off by a small percentage it corrects automatically. It is truly space age way to good to believe technology. It's worth setting up a trial on one of the demo boats just to feel it.

Upvote 0

Surg

SwordfishGear.com
  • Feb 2, 2004
    So Cal
    www.SwordfishGear.com
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    25' Monterey
    I have limited experience but from what Ali explained it really helps stepped hulls stay at optimum attitude for the best effeciency. It didn’t tilt side to side crossing swells, but still lets the bow pitch up and down.

Effeciency is lost when the steps are pushed in the water on turns and they have trouble pulling air in.

The video I posted shows it in action behind the acrylic window. Very interesting technology no doubt.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    NICE FISH and Great report and pics Sergio. Solid work! LOL
    Haven't I fished with you before on some boat?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0