Eddy C

Geezer
May 3, 2011
Whidbey
Name
Harry Ottoway
Boat
Glasply
I have a 15lb. mold for downrigger ball I have some lead. I have an old cast iron pot for melting. How do I pour the lead into the little hole in the mold? I've never done this before.
Looking for advice please. Do I need more eguipment and where do I find it?....Thanks

watsoncali

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 3, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Name
Billy
Boat
"The Dog House" (Defiance 220 EX) & a 17' aluminum boat
Heat up the lead in the pot over a fire and pour, check out youtube

Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
Pick up a old cast iron tea kettle they work pretty good for just starting out.

Make sure you lead does not have any pockets of water in it. If it does when the water hits the melted lead it flash boils and can explode.

Dragonballs should be putting on his anual lead pour event pretty soon. He has a wonderful contraption for doing this and you can BS with a bunch of good people pour some lead and enjoy some good food.

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Clean lead!

Put pot on propane burner...

Thick ass gloves(serious hot potatoe!).

Safety googles/thick clothes.

Mold release spray(Pam for lead melting)

Clamps for your mold to have tight to stop leakage. Stinkin leakage!

Pour in steady and give a bit extra pour....bam!!!!!

Take to LineX!! Super Bam!

....I get feeling no Vance Lead Delight this year??

Last edited:
Reactions: BugeaterInWa

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Clean lead!

I've never done this but.....respirator????

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Probably wouldn't hurt to use the white mouth/nose cover...but what is breathing in a lil lead gunna hurt??

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Reactions: TwoTapPat

Fish Sniper

Jun 13, 2012
San Dimas,Ca. USA
Name
Marco Rojas
Boat
PAJARO
I have a 15lb. mold for downrigger ball I have some lead. I have an old cast iron pot for melting. How do I pour the lead into the little hole in the mold? I've never done this before.
Looking for advice please. Do I need more eguipment and where do I find it?....Thanks
1st, make sure you this outside away from any flammable items; like brush, old gas cans etc. Wear heavy gloves, a face shield ( in case of and explosion), wear boots not tennis shoes, and apron will help a bunch. Make sure the lead is fully melted, if its not you will have problems in pouring and will have cold shots. Pour and wait a minute plus before you open the mold.

My 2 cents.

TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
May 22, 2013
some where on the water
Name
Pat
Boat
High on the Goat
Clean lead!

I was wondering if Vance was gonna have his party this year. I hope so its a blast( no punn intended ) it is a hell of a fun party and good BSing time.

Reactions: Team Sency

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
it helps if the mold is preheat to' and make sure their is no cars close by any little pop of lead any the lead will take the paint down to the
metal seen it happen on a new truck' man that guy was pissed off

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
I wear a respirator with the pink cartridges when I melt lead. Rather be safe and uncomfortable for a few hours than risk irreversible health problems in the future. Your body apparently moves lead around your body freely through your bloodstream just like it does other metals like iron and zinc except that the lead can cause all sorts of problems.

Not saying health issues are guaranteed, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregE

richardp

Feb 4, 2011
Burlington WA
Name
Richard
Boat
2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
I wear a respirator with the pink cartridges when I melt lead. Rather be safe and uncomfortable for a few hours than have irreversible health problems in the future. Your body apparently moves lead around your body freely through your bloodstream just like it does other metals like iron and zinc except that the lead can cause all sorts of problems.
That must be what is wrong with me......

TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
May 22, 2013
some where on the water
Name
Pat
Boat
High on the Goat
Preheated molds and a little benzo tourch to keep the hole hot and lead flowing. Sometimes it will clog up the hole and the benzo will prevent this from happening .

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Your first pour into that mold will only yield a half of a ball or so. Let it sit for a few minutes and that mold will heat up fast. Once that mold is hot it will take forever to cool down so you shouldn't have any issues with clogging.. I use large ladle as well. Besides that, what everyone else has recommended. Do not have any water or other liquids, (beer) anywhere near your melting pot. That shit will literally blow up. Lead and liquids don't play well together.

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
I grew up outside of Chicago working with my dad who was a plumber and probably melted a half ton of lead when we used it to seal joints on cast iron soil pipe. We used a pot and ladle like the one Miles posted which is the best way to go. Sounds like you have the pot, and if you don't have a ladle, get one like the picture. Don't use one from the kitchen.

We never wore any respirator, worked in crawl spaces, attics and other tight quarters and far as I can tell, I've never had any...never had any...had...had...any problems.

Seriously though, take the precautions mentioned above and keep the kiddies, cats and dogs out of the area and don't wear synthetic clothing (polar fleece, polypro, disco-clothes, etc..). It can catch fire and/or melt and stick to you if you have an accident.

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
A don't forget a long shirt to cover your plumbers butt. Hot lead down there will make you invent some new dance moves.

veteransfishing

Get in the groove and RELAX!!!
Nov 18, 2013
Olympia, Wa
Name
Danny Gabriel
Boat
Slippery Finn/Lisa M
If you don't have heat proof handles on the mold better make some (wooden dowels and hose clamps work well), those suckers can HOT:eek:.

jgsons2

Dec 29, 2010
LaConner, WA
Name
James
Boat
401-K 28' North River
Lead is toxic to human beings and children are particularly sensitive to its effects. Children, especially toddlers, are at highest risk for lead poisoning. Ingesting (eating) lead – whether it is in the soil, in paint chips, or from any other source - is a serious health risk and can result in both short and long-term health problems.
Acute (short-term) exposure to high levels of lead can result in brain and kidney damage. Chronic (long-term) exposure may affect the blood and central nervous systems, blood pressure, kidneys and the body's ability to metabolize (use) vitamin D. Lead exposure may damage the reproductive system, resulting in reduced sperm counts and increased miscarriage.
Newborns and young children under six are particularly vulnerable to the effects of chronic lead poisoning. Effects range from lowered IQ (intelligence) and reduced growth to balance, memory, and hearing problems. Pregnant women exposed to lead may have babies born prematurely and at lowered birth weights. The blood brain barrier, which keeps toxins out of the body, is not fully developed until about age six

Stay out in a open space and wear a mask. Lead and Arsenic of lead once in the body stays in a body and will keep on building up.

Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
Apr 8, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Floatflyer
Boat
24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
Eddy, I am in Oak Harbor, have a propane burner, a ladle, and lead. Let me know if you want to fumble around, at least we could have a backup driver to the hospital!

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
don't wear synthetic clothing (polar fleece, polypro, disco-clothes, etc..). It can catch fire and/or melt and stick to you if you have an accident.
Odin is spot on...that synthetic shit will melt into your skin and become one with it....it's a frikin mess....and very painful...use gloves that cover your forearms or just be very careful..I may be over the top when it comes to safety. My Father-in-law is an ex fire chief, and I have fought fires for ten years..safety is drilled into me. It only takes once, and you're screwed for life....

Speaking of lead pouring...is there going to be a lead pouring party this year, like in the central sound (between Lynwood and Tacoma?

Swanny