Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Meet Okuma's ALIJOS 2-SPEED LEVER DRAG REEL for 2022! This Was Field Tested Around The World During 2021!

Last year i got the chance to try out the new revamped Alijos Reel by Okuma. Basically this line represents the Makaira Reels if they were offered under the 20 size. During the field testing we subjected these reels to casting lead up to 12oz. Letting it stand in the pouring rain at night. Be subjected to salt spray for 4-months almost daily.

I made it a point to go out almost every day from piers to cliffs. I even installed the special Drag Cam sent to revamp the torque. This reel is a long distance caster! The casting dial isn't magnetic by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing this reel grace our trolling & HD casting rods this summer. Here's a taste of the new Alijos.

(The Alijos was pulling up Yellowfin Tunas jigging off Florida).

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    Chris…can you confirm that Okuma Alijos has incorporated the Thrust Bearing on this newly redesigned version? Charkbait said its the case but just need to hear from you of finally Okuma listened this time. It could be a deal breaker on Alijos if no other issues will emerge later on.

Reactions: Scuba Chris
    Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Chris…can you confirm that Okuma Alijos has incorporated the Thrust Bearing on this newly redesigned version? Charkbait said its the case but just need to hear from you of finally Okuma listened this time. It could be a deal breaker on Alijos if no other issues will emerge later on.
    On that i can't be sure. If you contact Okuma directly they can answer that for you as i'm only a field tester. I'm not privy to any last minute changes made, or not made to any products that i field test. But i do like Charkbait's review by the way:)

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    I assume this is now the case with Mark’s reviews on redesigned Alijos…

1C1FFC85-FBAE-46BE-BD82-85C9FA58E402.jpeg

Upvote 0

Senor Rambone

Super Chingon
    Mar 24, 2015
    ROSARITO B.C.
    Name
    Senor Rambone
    Boat Name
    La Mamalona
    The redesigned Allijos does feature the Thrust Bearing on all sizes. That was one of the major upgrades for the series.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    The redesigned Allijos does feature the Thrust Bearing on all sizes. That was one of the major upgrades for the series.
    Cool…then finally Okuma listened…hopefully they’ll incorporate this feature on their Cavalla reels too. If it wants to give a dent on the budget lever drag reel class dominated by the tried & tested Mighty Penn FATHOMS😉

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kaptain Karl
    Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Cool…then finally Okuma listened…hopefully they’ll incorporate this feature on their Metaloid reels too. If it wants to give a dent on the budget lever drag reel class dominated by the tried & tested Mighty Penn FATHOMS😉
    I still have my Fathoms. These new Alijos are in a totally different class. During my field trials last summer i let a few others try casting this reel. They all loved it and waiting to get their own (without their better halfs finding out).

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    No boat
    I still have my Fathoms. These new Alijos are in a totally different class. During my field trials last summer i let a few others try casting this reel. They all loved it and waiting to get their own (without their better halfs finding out).
    I would love to try them if Okuma made them in lefty.

Wish Okuma would make a lefty reel for the 60-100# line class.

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
    Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Hobie outback
    What kind of anti-reverse is on these reels?
    Does the handle have any back play or slop. Would be jigging a bit with it.

Edit…still curious how y’all feel about the reel. I did find a servicing video that answered some confirmed some questions.
    1. Has thrust bearing
    2. Has 2 AR pawls

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Latest Articles